What makes a show quality Lt. Sussex?

More
14 years 4 months ago #21633 by kaybe
Does anyone know of an online resource (besides you guys! :D ) that will show me what the judges look for in the Lt. Sussex breed (or any other breed for that matter)?

I have 10 Lt Sussex about 3 months old and the amount of variation in the markings is quite noticeable. If I was going to pick 1 or 2 as the 'best looking', I'd need to know what I'm supposed to be selecting for :rolleyes:.

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #313284 by Kermitnz
No online resources for N.Z standards unfortunately kaybe, but I do have my N.Z Poultry standard book here if you want to fire some questions my way. I'd be here all night if I was to type it all out lol :D

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

More
14 years 4 months ago #313285 by Sue
You really need to get a book of standards applicable to NZ show poultry.
You can look at Feathersite www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sussex/BRKSussex.html which is an American site, to get some idea of what is required and it also gives links to other breed web sites. I think the NZ standards tend to follow the British Poultry standard more than the American one.

As to leg colour, type, feather colour and faults then Kermitz can help with the NZ word on things. If you look at the pictures of birds in show cages they tend to be better quality than the ones photographed au natural!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 4 months ago #313325 by david brooks
Hi,
Yes you can purchase the NZ standard for $69 from Poultry NZ. Ian Selby P.O.Box 719 New Plymouth 4340 or you can email Ian on This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. The book comes in two sizes, The ring binder which is an A5 and the other is around an A4 size. The ring binder as it stands is in black & white and the larger book has a number of colour plates.
The NZ standard has had to go to countries of origins in some cases to complete our standard. ( American & British) Sue is correct our standard does tend to follow more
to the British.
As with a breed in which we are working on have had to go to the country of origin to obtain the information so it can be included into our NZ standard.

More
14 years 4 months ago #313404 by Simkin
Usually shape and carriage fetch lots more points than plumage and markings.

More
14 years 4 months ago #313418 by Inger
A nice clean black necklace and tail feathers with white feathers over the rest of the body, is the simplistic way to describe their colour.

This year's crop of chickens seems to have been a backwards step for me. Most of them have extra black feathers sprinkled down the black a bit, instead of a nice clean black necklace of hackles with a white back. Its rather unexpected, as the rooster shows no sign of carrying genetics for extra black feathers. He's a beautiful looking bird. Hmmm, back to the drawing board.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
14 years 4 months ago #313786 by kaybe
Sorry to be so tardy in following up! Thank you everyone. So the collar should go all the way around the neck? Does the black collar extend up on to the head as speckles? There should be no black on the wings or the back below the collar edge? The tail feathers are a green/black with white border?

Bummer Inger!

I ended up picking the nicest looking one - best markings, longest tail, reddest comb - to exchange with this guy and ended up with the mankiest looking RIR cockerel LOL! He is huge though - if that's a good thing, I'm not sure.

tigger, got any Eprinex handy? :-)

More
14 years 4 months ago #313796 by Sue
Hi Kaybe, I'm sure someone with a 'standard' in front of them could correct me-but the Columbian feather pattern, which is what Light Sussex is, does include black flight feathers in the wings.
There should be no black feathers on the back, just in the tail feathers. The main feathers being black and the secondary tail feathers having a white edge.
Yes the neck hackles should go all round the neck and be black edged with white.
No the black feathers don't continue up over the head or face, these are white.
The top most short ones tend to be a bit speckled rather than laced.
Male standard weight 4kgs, female 3.2kgs
Legs white

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 4 months ago #313831 by Kermitnz
Sue is correct about the black wing feathers.

The N.Z standard reads.... Head and neck hackles white, striped with black, the black center of each feather to be entirely surrounded by a white margin. Wings white, with black in the flights. Tail and coverts black. The remainder pure white throughout.

The judges do like to see the black flight feathers quite well tucked up though, so there is very little showing (my words, not the standards lol)

Kermit & Tribe... 6 children (Tristan, Calem, Kaidan, Chloe, Sophie-Jaymz & Tess, 1 Grandson, Sebastian), 1 Cat (Bella) ...Waimate

More
14 years 4 months ago #313849 by kaybe
Oh well, none of them has a collar that goes all the way 'round, so I guess it's roast chicken for all of them! :-) (Unless the markings are likely to improve as they mature? They are all only 3 months old..)

More
14 years 4 months ago #313859 by Sue
Don't do anything till they have their adult plumage!

Too early to tell yet unless they are badly mismarked-how about a photo?

Sue

More
14 years 4 months ago #313882 by kaybe
I'll see if I can get them all to stand still for a pic :-)

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds