Cow AI - who and how?

More
14 years 4 months ago #312449 by mandyb
Replied by mandyb on topic Cow AI - who and how?
Foufee, my partner Marc is an Ab Tech with LIC in Carterton so if you want to contact him send me an email and I will give you his number

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #312556 by Joybells
Replied by Joybells on topic Cow AI - who and how?
We are just going thru this at the moment. The vets don't do AI, well our one doesnt anyway, put me onto LIC who were very helpful. Ordered the semen etc for us and now we are waiting for the technician to come and do the job. We gave up waiting for them to come on heat, they didnt seem to be doing so, so we have got seeders in them at present and the vet will come and remove them , inject again and then the AI technician comes and does the job at the requested time. Success I have been told is only 50-65% so heres hoping.

More
14 years 4 months ago #312562 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Cow AI - who and how?
Wading in with my experience to date...

We bought 2 x 6 yo jerseys from a local trusted farmer last year and calved sometime thereafter appropriately.

one dropped when she was due from the AI date, the other was quite a few weeks late and calved to the farmers angus bull (or at least one of them) although she was serviced via AI as the same as the first.

Since then I have tried and tried to ''pick'' the moment when each went on heat.

I bought 4 sticks ($10 each) from our local AI guy who was recommended from the purchasing farmer and the AI guy has been out here twice to the girls.
Weeks later it became apparent that neither were pregs to the angus straws I bought, and then the season finished in early December so another dairy neighbour offered his yearling hereford bull for us.

We are more than sure that Daisy the first one is now about 6 weeks preg whilst Maisy would hopefully just been taken, nothing scientific to prove this of course apart from missing 3 week season tail raising and mounting, but in due course the bull shall be removed from our paddocks and we will have the girls scanned, but in hindsight and knowing our plans we think we are better off having a resident Angus bull for our needs (well that of our girls as we are going to increase the jersey herd by 1 and hopefully purchase an angus heifer this year too).

My only response to your initial post is please don't assume that AI is the complete answer to insemination the first time. it might take a few times longer esp. if you are new to this as I am.

I am also told from a former dairy farmer that some heifers just don't take to AI and need to have the back up of a farm bull. I welcome others opinions on this as well, as we are seriously considering that as our alternative in future instead of having late calving.

More
14 years 4 months ago #312563 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Cow AI - who and how?
In response to Swaggies thoughts, having your own bull is a possibility, but leasing one makes more sense if you only have 1 or 2 cows, or even 4!
Borrowing the neighbours is always a possibility, if he is suitable. Having your own bull means another mouth for 365 days of the year, which can be a liability as he gets older and bored with his surroundings, not to mention if you have heifer calves that you don't want to get in calf.

If however you are looking for a nice young bull to buy, please look for a registered bull with figures that can give you some sort of an indication as to calving ease and low birthweight plus some sort of guarantee as to his health status and temeperament!
Swaggie, ask Isla for advice before you take the plunge!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 4 months ago #312581 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Cow AI - who and how?
I saw an article recently about just this topic. [;)]

Swaggie (or anyone else), if you're buying/leasing/borrowing Angus, let me know pedigree details and we'll make sure you don't walk into a mess. Since the New Zealand Angus Association aren't publicising any of the details of the genetic disorders beyond a couple of press comments several months back when they were asked, and a few letters to their own membership after they were eventually stirred into action, I'm very happy to share what I know about it so far. In fact, I'd be very happy to publicise it far and wide, but no media organisation will touch it. If you know of anyone with dead bent or bulbous black calves, please let me know. If you know of any calves which can't walk properly in their back ends when they're born, I'd be similarly interested. In fact any weird calf from parents with known breeding would be of great interest.

Who knows, maybe cows with spiky skulls will be the next wonderfully crappy mess I have to deal with.

More
14 years 4 months ago #312605 by max2
Replied by max2 on topic Cow AI - who and how?
Will do Isla.

I googled the name on the sticks and found that he had sold for quite a bit of money, but it didn't say whether he was a red or black Angus and the original farm where he came from does both (not that it matters with the jerseys I only wanted them preg. to angus for the meat, but later on it will certainly matter when we get that angus heifer).

However I cannot find the bit of paper I wrote it on, so will look more after breakfast.

More
14 years 4 months ago #312609 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic Cow AI - who and how?
Thankyou to everyone for your responses.

currently this is academic preparation as we do not have a cow but I believe in trying to be as prepared as possible.

having a bull of our own is probably not feasible as we have 5 acres and are looking at one maybe 2 cows, leasing one maybe a good way to go if/when we get to that sort of time I will have to investigate local Angus (or other) availability. I prefer natural service over AI, especially as I currently have little idea what a in season cow looks like :)

More
14 years 4 months ago #312618 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic Cow AI - who and how?

foufee;297390 wrote: ... especially as I currently have little idea what a in season cow looks like :)

Sometimes it is extremely difficult to tell! Last night I discovered that a cow which was keen to mount a couple of hot cows for about ten minutes, and then went off for a sleep, had actually been on heat! That was all the indication I had - her indicator was a little pink, which I'd put down to an accidental squashing, since she was playing with the others. Two days later there's blood, and I've obviously missed an opportunity. Lucky it's early in the mating round.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds