Life in Nelson area, pros cons please.

More
14 years 3 months ago #312121 by goatmama
Yea sure, the more the merrier. Has summer started yet? Or did we already have our 3 days of sunshine?
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. We are very keen on the area and as it will be our first and hopefully only bit of land bigger than a 1/4 acre, we really want to do it right, location, water, size, sunshine and price. Please keep ideas bouncing round so we can get an informed and well rounded picture of the place.
We have been looking through all the online property markets that we can think of but there are always the local ones who dont advertise on the net or are up and comming and we appreciate the tips you all have given, thanks.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos
Prov 27:27

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #312142 by cantyguy
AND its officially the sunnyiest place in NZ

More
14 years 3 months ago #312143 by cantyguy

Kiwi303;296569 wrote: www.nz.open2view.com/Property/207395 seems good, 4 acres, regen native bush (cynic in me translates thi estate agent speak as "abandoned and going back to nature messily"), pictures show the sun and is double glazed for the winter chills. The map as part of the ting shows it as being just up 88 valley road on a side road, not far from Wakefield, so close to Richmond and Nelson.

Looks good enough that I would be visiting it with an agent if I was shopping around with your wishlist.

Nice house...love the timber.

More
14 years 3 months ago #312176 by arnie.m
We live on the hills in 88 valley, like all hill tops it is a bit windier than down on the flats, we have planted 100's of trees and the wind does not affect our living areas too much. Take your time loking around don't be in a hurry to but, look & listen is my advice.

Probally the best climate in NZ, we tend not to get the extremes other areas get, but it can happen from time to time.

arnie
88 Valley
Nelson

More
14 years 3 months ago #312262 by goatmama

arnie.m;296899 wrote: We live on the hills in 88 valley, like all hill tops it is a bit windier than down on the flats, we have planted 100's of trees and the wind does not affect our living areas too much. Take your time loking around don't be in a hurry to but, look & listen is my advice.

Thanks, we have time on our side and we intend to take everything all you guys have mentioned on board. The last time either of us were in Nelson was when we were kids. I still had my Takaka Cave T-shirt but that was quite some years ago now and I cant remember any of the trip. We will definitely be in Nelson in September to visit, hopefully with some land in the area so we dont have to come all the way back to Southland again. From the places seen I love it but the ideal is yet to show itself. We will keep watching and learning as much as possible from you who live there.

Probally the best climate in NZ, we tend not to get the extremes other areas get, but it can happen from time to time.

And that is a really big +.

10 acres in sunny Southland. Husband and 3 boys. 17 Wilties, "Clucky quarters" 2 doz + chooks, rouen clair ducks, Coffee our Irish Terrier and Kaz and Mooch our wee Kitty's. Our Big White Shepherd, Nena. Bennie and Mo the moos

More
14 years 3 months ago #312272 by Hasbeen
We were in the Wairoa Gorge area before we moved into Tahunanui.
My experiences there make me wonder why that place advertised in the 88 dose not mention freehold or water. Or did I miss something.
After Southland Nelson is heaven; but a couple of years drought can make you long for a good Southland downpour.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
14 years 3 months ago #312392 by goatmama
Good point about the water Hasbeen, we know serious droughts are coming, that is why the water supply is one of the 3 most important requirements.

More
14 years 3 months ago #312424 by LongRidge
So ... not Carole or Shelley or Helen or Fiona ..... must have been up the rustic end. Note to self .... be very careful to not bitch too much about the neighbours ..... except about those damn birds that reverse their trucks at dawn each morning ..... and keep going all day.
In Nelson the valleys have a reputation of being very cold during winter .... which is correct because the frost settles rather than being blown away by the gale blowing out on the plain. I much prefer cold with no wind in the valleys, rather than a cold wind on the flat.

Time to create page: 0.132 seconds