The New Farm Shed goes from Dream to Reality!!

More
14 years 5 months ago #310947 by Double8
Hi Lou, we've had quotes so far from Goldpine, Tumu, Turtons, Quality Sheds, Versatile, Bustabuild, but not any of the others because we really wanted a pole shed. Avoild Kiwi Span as they were a pain in the butt for friends, who then went on to use Simon Parker after and found him to be very good. Fin builds for Tumu and most of them will do a kit set with plans, but watch out for all the extras they don't include (usually the site being flat, holes to be dug and concrete which can add a few more $k's to the build). Simon Parker did a complete quote for us, but we will probably go with Turtons (as they are closest for delivery) and we have a friend who is a builder going to put it up. Mainly because he can do it sooner, must of the builders will be booked out for months. All the quotes (bar Versatile) were fairly close to each other. I'd ask to see other work they've done. 88

What am I? Fly paper for freaks?!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 3 months ago #316668 by Louise W
Well we have ordered our shed! We went with Strongbuilt in the end as they were the most competitively priced and our building inspector friend said that they were as good as any. They have a good special this month and the price was very good (but still pretty ouchie!).

We've gone with zincalume 3 x 4.5m bays x 7m deep with a canopy and spouting. The floor will be lime (have spoken to local quarry owner who also has all the necessaries to prepare the site for us) and just have to get the plans (we arranged for a minor alteration to the kitset plan by having the poles set at 4m rather than 3.5m to allow for a 4m x 4.5m stable size and we have clearlite in the roof of the stable bay) and then get our application in to the council for PP. We have also purchased a shipping container to store all the materials on site and possibly convert to a tack shed - am a bit confused about whether or not we need permission for this as well but will cross that bridge as and when ...

It's certainly not a cheap exercise and I reckon you need to budget to add on about 1/3 to 1/2 of the shed price to cover those extras. As it is we will not have the money for the water tank yet and might struggle to buy the gates for the front but we will make do!

If anyone knows someone experienced who would help us get the poles up, please could you message me or post on here some details? We have called one outfit who will consider it and have asked someone else (waiting on a response) but it seems that most builders want the whole job and see doing the one thing as not worth their time - we simply cannot afford to have it built as well and can only get it up if we do the lion's share of the work.

Here are some photos (container, rough plan, site):

Attached files [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/301891=4521-container 1.jpg[/img]
File Attachment:
[IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/301891=4524-shed spot 1.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/301891=4525-shed spot 2.jpg[/img] [IMG]http://app.lifestyleblock.co.nz/images/converted_files/301891=4523-shed spot 3.jpg[/img]

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 3 months ago #316670 by hilldweller
Looks great! Interested in the lime floor idea. Having just had a garage/woodshed done (finally, some outdoor storage space :) ) and being stunned at the price of the concrete pad, I'd decided the next shed would be just dirt floor. Hadn't thought of lime but it should be cheaply available here.

Re the gates, do they have to be something special? My shed needed gates so I just made some using the Trisha Fisk instructions, with an extra rail to get the height I wanted. But perhaps that wouldn't be sufficient for horses?

hilldweller

More
14 years 3 months ago #316671 by Louise W
The gates for the storage bays don't have to be special (just normal farm gates although 4.5m wide so probably quite pricey?) I am thinking that when the stable/stall is done temporarily (we will line it and fit it out properly in time) I will put in a normal gate at the front but run a wide electric tape across the top (at eye height) just to discourage any potential escapes!

Lime is great, it packs down brilliantly and is also good for helping to minimise odour! Neighbour estimated 6-7 loads would do it. We did not even bother to price concrete as knew it would be waaaaaaaaaaaay out of our budget!

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 3 months ago #316705 by hilldweller

Louise W;301895 wrote: The gates for the storage bays don't have to be special (just normal farm gates although 4.5m wide so probably quite pricey?)

Goldpine have 4.25m (which would probably be right if posts are 4.5 centres) economy gates on special this month at $99 +GST. That's a good price for that size gate. Eyeing up a couple myself[;)]

hilldweller

More
14 years 3 months ago #316706 by Louise W
Ooooo, thanks for the heads up - might have to put a few of those on the account ...

TALISMAN FARM

or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 3 months ago #316755 by Double8
Hi Lou, can ask the guy going to build our shed if he'd do that small thing for you as he probably wouldn't want the whole job anyway. As for the container its not a permanent shed with foundations so it wouldn't need planning permission. To me its no different than putting a caravan on your land and taking its wheels off and putting it on skids. Its not permanent and not fixed and can be removed.

Keep and eye out for specials, farm sales, anyone that might have excess and want to get rid of stuff.

Has Robbie gone to his new home yet? 88

What am I? Fly paper for freaks?!

More
14 years 3 months ago #316768 by Louise W
Thx 88!! Robbie leaves on Friday :(

TALISMAN FARM

or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 1 week ago #329741 by Louise W
I have a quick update for everyone - We have a shed!! If you want to take a nosey at the process, feel free to visit this album which pretty much documents the build from go to whoa (the stable is not yet lined but the wood is being delivered on Friday so, hopefully by the weekend, the stable will be all done too - sooooo exciting!!!).

Shed/Tackshed/Stable Build photo album

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

TALISMAN FARM

or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 1 week ago #329742 by terralee
I am so so jealous[:0] that is one fantastic ...shed ...stable...building[^][^][^]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
14 years 1 week ago #329839 by Country Girl
Those photos are fantastic! What an awesome job - how did you compact the lime down? The stable is very impressive :D

A pessimist is never disappointed

More
14 years 1 week ago #329870 by Xartep
Awesome and just in time for the rain!!![;)] :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds