The New Farm Shed goes from Dream to Reality!!

More
14 years 4 months ago #310663 by Valmai

Louise W;295149 wrote: And, on the same day (less than an hour later!) we sold our beloved stallion, Robbie

Hmmmm Oamaru is not that far away......from me.[;)] :D :D :D

Carbon-based biological unit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310664 by Toast
The news is now public! I thought you might keep it secret forever.

As far as the shed goes, sit on the fence & something will come up. In other words, respond, don't react! Listen to all the feedback. The big names & the sponsors of sporting events are not necessarily the best.

In Bulls, there's a guy doing a lot of stables, farm sheds etc (Graeme O'Fee of Jump-A-Bull). He also makes a lot of jumps. However, I've never heard any feedback.

Before you make the plunge, make sure it's going to be the best. Ask around at the shows & find out who makes the best. You don't want condensation!

I know it sounds like the answer to all your prayers, but do be careful, please!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Toast is the best food in the world
Whisky is the best drink in the world

More
14 years 4 months ago #310665 by AdoubleJ
We are getting an american barn and got lots of quotes. Kiwispan, Totalspan etc. etc. In the end we went with Strongbuilt for a number of reasons. Probably the main reason is the fact that the wooden piles are driven in - not just on footings and we are in such a high wind area we need to feel it is safe! :D Another reason is that OH can do work on it., where it would be much harder with metal bracing. Their price and Totalspan were very similar. Ours has bird netting as well....... cos OH is fed up with bird poop all over his bench from the nests in the roof!
The permit went in last week....... please keep all fingers crossed that it is all OK!!

AdoubleJ

12 dogs, 6 cats, 1 x Hereford cross /Cassie/Casserole, 7 girlie sheep and of course Rambo and IggyPop! and chooks!

More
14 years 4 months ago #310682 by skyline_glenn
To stop the condensation you will need building paper over wire mesh. Only problem with that is the birds may peck the paper and get in and build nests between the paper and iron. I have never had anything to do with farm sheds so there may be no problems with this and they may have a way around it. We use 50mm hex wire netting which is a fairly small netting, most use 75mm and it is lot bigger and easier for birds to get into.

Glenn

More
14 years 4 months ago #310685 by Double8
Hi Lou, I'd use Simon Parker of Quality Sheds. We've been getting quotes as we need a shed too. Pretty much all similar on price, but Simon will do a quote for everything and he uses good timber and builds the sheds really well (not rough and ready). Goldpine, Tumu can be a bit rough and some of the others use steel construction not wooden poles. 88

What am I? Fly paper for freaks?!

More
14 years 4 months ago #310717 by gemini kiwi
Well done Lou, wow is Masterton on a winning streak this year or what.?
tess.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310718 by Rod Brown
The advantage with kitset is they are already an engineer approved design, if you try and design your own there can be an additional several hundred dollars on top.

I had built a Goldpine two bay tractor shed and I'm very happy with the design and materials supplied, apparently it is strong enough to withstand Antarctic conditions.

I managed to get them to sharpen the pencil a few hundred as well.........good luck!

Now sold block, of no fixed abode, building new house. Darling wife has passed 1 year ago.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310767 by Louise W
Thanks everyone, keep 'em coming!!

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 4 months ago #310809 by beedee
I had a versatile built and they do kitset also.. all their barns are high wind, and in the 9mths had only 2 tests from the gusty blow, am happy with the finer details of it. I didnt get the roof lined as my garage lean too lost the paper after a few years, so it doesnt seem worth while, in my case.
but good luck and yes hummm and aarrrggghh a bit, the prices are still dropping on such things..
and congrats that your Xmas is going to be a great one.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310813 by cantyguy
I built a versatile here in Hanmer a few years ago. We get very strong N/West winds and its as good as the day it was built. Another good company I have used are www.shedsnz.co.nz/home-page-xidc18492.html They have some good specials at the moment.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310819 by Alan Gilbert
We have two Totalspans - one 9m x 10.5m (erected by their builder) and one 3m x 4m (erected by me).
I am very pleased with them. They look good, they are both braced for High Wind, and their being steel is so far not a problem - it's easy enough to screw stuff to, so don't go for wood just because you're used to it.
Do get the white lining paper under the roof to cut the condensation, and do get the Amplelite panels in the roof for natural lighting - worth every cent.
The instructions for assembling the small shed were hopeless - illiterate, confusing, incomplete and with totally useless photographs. Apart from that, no problems.
Like all franchised businesses, there will be considerable variations in quality of service between different franchisees (the Far North franchise with whom I dealt being very good), but the buildings are all supplied to the franchisees in kit form by one central factory, so the quality of materials should not vary.
Good luck - and the compliments of the Season to you.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310851 by sod
Check out some of the local ones too East Taratahi in C town is one plus one by bridge at this end of town cant think of their name.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 4 months ago #310862 by hilldweller
Congratulations on your win :)

Goldpine (down here at least) often have specials that can save you literally thousands if what you're looking for is a reasonably standard design - get on their mailing list and keep an eye on prices. I'm very happy with Great Southern's product (looks similar to Goldpine, to my non-technical eye) and service, but I don't think they're up your way?

Don't forget to budget for any related items - earthworks, drainage, water pipe connections and tank if you want to collect the water, power connection if you want power/lights, building/resource consent, concrete flooring if wanted, any gates or railings etc.

hilldweller

More
14 years 4 months ago #310865 by sod
HD yes Gold Pine are good we are on their list and they have good special at our branch too, never heard of "GSP." up here

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 4 months ago #310881 by InWelly
Awesome news Lou, we went for a Shedboss for our main build, who I wouldn't recomend in this area even though our place is great, but they used a contractor from the Wairarapa area for the concrete who also erects sheds for people - and he was really good and went above & beyond (F & RP Morrison www.finmorrison.co.nz ). The goldpine ones we get phamplets for and they look good, especially the 4x4 sized bays you can get. Also alot of people over this way seem to use a Wairarapa company called NZSheds, so they must be a good price.

Time to create page: 0.152 seconds