The New Farm Shed goes from Dream to Reality!!

More
14 years 4 months ago #21391 by Louise W
I had the unbelievable good luck last week to win $5000 cash in the Dunstan Sugar Beet and Eezy Beet competition . I am still coming down from my high! And, on the same day (less than an hour later!) we sold our beloved stallion, Robbie and all of a sudden my dream of a new farm shed became a reality! [:0] :D

So! Pole sheds in kitset form. At least three bays with one bay enclosed (ideally four bays but we do have a limited budget - lets say maximum $12k as I need to put money aside to settle some other accounts and do some special things). Plan to eventually fit one bay out as a stable with the enclosed bay for tack, feed, covers etc. The lining/stable fit out will likely come later as all the money will, I suspect, go into just getting the shed and getting it up. Again, we plan to do the internal fit out ourselves. We don't plan on concreting the floor space and hope to use lime instead.

What are your experiences buying kitset sheds? Who did you buy from? What little things do we need to look out for (small print)? Anything and everything you can think of, please share.

We hope to do the bulk of the building ourselves and just use someone to do the big stuff we can't manage. All your words of wisdom most gratefully received!!!!!

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

25 acres of beautiful rolling pastures in the heart of the wonderful Wairarapa.

NixPixArt and Talisman Farm
or join us on FACEBOOK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310584 by eelcat
What a wonderful way to end the year!

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
14 years 4 months ago #310585 by spoook
Lou, you know I am so pleased for you. Could not have happened at a better time either. :D
Good luck with the erection of the shed.

There are no bad questions only those that are not asked.
"You are responsible, forever, for what you have tamed"

More
14 years 4 months ago #310591 by skyline_glenn
Congratulations, great time of the year to get one of those windfalls. I did some work on total span shed a couple of weeks ago, it was an american style barn and it was flimsy as. The roofing and cladding was only .30 guage and the perlins were spaned to the max which made it very scary to work on the roof, the steel frame ws also of a light guage.

Glenn

More
14 years 4 months ago #310597 by Louise W
Thanks guys - the timing could not be better as I have the princely sum of $4.07 in my bank account (and still have to do the christmas grocery shop - thank God for credit cards!).

We're looking at Strongbuilt through Goldpine at the moment but still have a lot of research to do...

TALISMAN FARM

Home of 'TF Hamish'and 'Crossiebeg Brennan' and where we are 'breeding extraordinary horses for ordinary riders'

or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 4 months ago #310601 by foufee
we have a Kiwispan steel frame shed. It works.
Things I would now look for are
- lining in the roof - ours drips terribly with condensation.
- bird proofness of the enclosed section - Matthew is sick of bird poop (he used a different word) on his tools

we have clear lite sections in the roof, they are great.
definitely have water collection off the roof

More
14 years 4 months ago #310609 by Louise W
Yes, we have quotes for something that includes a brow and guttering as we fully intend to collect off the roof - would be such a waste not to utilise all that lovely roof area!!! Good thought re bird proofing and we have starlings and martins who LOVE nesting in our current shed! I also want a clear/sky light type arrangement in the roof, especially in the enclosed section.

Anyone used Strongbuilt?

TALISMAN FARM

or join us on FACEBOOK

More
14 years 4 months ago #310613 by Sue
Ours is a Placemakers shed, but open fronted 4 X 3m bays by 7m deep, Pole construction.
I think they can knock up a plan of what you desire and have it ready for consent.
It was just going to be a lean-to type but have just extended the roof forwards another 3m as well, to give more covered area and prevent weather driving in.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310617 by sod
Great news for you,All sheds here have to have guttering and down pipe to a soak hole/tank. Goldpine were very helpful when we got one, not up as cant afford to :D,check all the specials

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 4 months ago #310618 by jeannielea
So pleased for you - what excitement to win something! I'm sure the advice will all be good and the shed will be all you want.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310621 by Mich
Hi Louise - what wonderful news for you guys. Great way to invest the money - hope the build all goes well.
Cheers, Mich.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
14 years 4 months ago #310624 by Stu_R
:) well done Louise :)
am sure the shed will be best investment ever made .. happy animals as they dry .. lol and happier owners as they dry when seeing to sick stock , and we all know animals only get shick when the weather at its worst for the people that have to look after them

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 4 months ago #310632 by kate
Congratulations :D :D Keep us posted on the shed, we'll be building one too when we can afford it!

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 4 months ago #310640 by terralee
Awesome stuff Lou :D :D :D :D :D I entered *that* competition too...still love sugarbeet[;)] ....you can't beat a decent shed ...you can never have too many and they can never be too big either:rolleyes:.
Glad you have got a new home for Robbie :( :( :( I bet you interogated the lady before agreeing to sell him[}:)]
Cheers

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
14 years 4 months ago #310643 by max2
congratulations Louise!

I saw that competition but never did anything about it, but its lovely to know ''someone'' I know won it.

so many competitions come and go, but you just don't hear of someone winning them.

Good one, esp. just before Chrissy. things are really up.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds