Egg Cartons/Price

More
14 years 4 months ago #21233 by cmog
Egg Cartons/Price was created by cmog
Hello.. Does anyone have a cheaper source for getting egg cartons.

The only online price I've found (and purchased) including freight and gst work out to 60cents for a 12 pack carton.

We've got 100 hyline hens and we're very new to this.

I have a few regular customers that return cartons but mostly sell at a local farmers market and don't get alot of clean carton returns.

I've enquired with a wholesaler who can supply cartons at 30cents excluding freight but the minimum order is 10,000 cartons which is obviously way more than we need.

Anyone interested in forming a collective or know of one already going??

What do other people do and what are people selling their eggs for (I've looked at the previous threads on price but would be great to get a current picture)

Thanks very much and what a great forum you have here.. picking up lots of useful info!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 4 months ago #308737 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic Egg Cartons/Price
Welcome to the site :D

We only do about 3 doz a week to family and friends and work on a swap basis for cartons, which obvious is too small scale for you. We charge $5 per dozen, mixed sizes, and can't keep up with demand (more chickens needed! [}:)])

Went into a cafe today advertising free range eggs for sale at $7.50 a dozen!!

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 4 months ago #308742 by lea
Replied by lea on topic Egg Cartons/Price
Packaging House Dunedin. Not bad pricing but still going through our last lot so cannot remember price.

Living on our 5 acres of land. Busy fencing and planting. Have dogs, cats and chickens. We also have cattle, sheep, goats, and geese.
Full-time working + plus full-time on the block. [|)]

More
14 years 4 months ago #308751 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Egg Cartons/Price
Welcome cmog to the chook world-and your Hyline flock!

Other than what has been suggested perhaps you could ask a local commercial farmer if you can buy some at their wholesale rate if he gets them by the pallet load.
Alright as long as they are not prestamped with his name.
Be aware that it is ilegal to sell eggs in cartons bearing another poultry farmers name, especially if he has a RMP approved and you don't!

I think there are Packaging House outlets country wide-have you tried Huhtamaki -I used to buy 30 egg size trays from them, 6 pallets at a time!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 4 months ago #308752 by mikethebike
Replied by mikethebike on topic Egg Cartons/Price
HI Cmog
I have the same problem sourcing boxes and we sell about 10 dozen or so eggs a week we charge either 5 or 6 dollars a dozen according to availability and quite a few of our regulars supply their own boxes,

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

More
14 years 4 months ago #308753 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Egg Cartons/Price
Can't help with the carton questions, but one tip is that as I understand it, 100 hens is the cutoff for risk management strategy paperwork and red tape. If you sell eggs with that many or over hens, but don't have all the OSH and Food safety red tape in place, you can be prosecuted.

99 hens and less is a backyard operation and you just have to take reasonable precautions, 100 and more you need lots of paperwork.

So if you don't have all the food safety and MAF and OSH stuff done and just want a backyard pocket money operation rather than fully commercial, I'd advise giving one hen to your neighbour so you have a flock of 99 hens, so to be just one bird under the red tape threshold.

good luck with your flock :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 4 months ago #308772 by RainbowPeacock
Replied by RainbowPeacock on topic Egg Cartons/Price
The Packaging house I have used for other items, friendly staff and very easy to deal with. Have had a look on their website (you can order online and get it delivered). Here are some links :

www.packaginghouse.co.nz/servlet/Srv.Eco...P2=PROD_QUICK_SEARCH

Three different sizes I think and end up to be about 40c each.

Have a look at their website :), hope this helps and good luck ![8D]

More
14 years 4 months ago #308774 by RainbowPeacock
Replied by RainbowPeacock on topic Egg Cartons/Price
Also check out:

www.eggboxes.com/

www.chookin.co.nz/misc-items/egg-cartons/prod_29.html

hawkpak (no longer manufacturing egg boxes)

:D

More
14 years 4 months ago #308935 by cmog
Replied by cmog on topic Egg Cartons/Price
Thanks to everyone who replied to my first post.. sue do you think it would still be illegal if I put my own sticker over the recycled cartons.. good idea about contacting a commercial farmer.

And to kiwi303.. one hen easily sorted.. for some reason I thought it was 100 and under.. we got 100 hens so we didn't have to go thru the paperwork while just starting out.. we've been selling out at the markets I joked to my partner we'll have to have his and her hens as the section we have is in two titles.. do you think that would be legal to have 99 hens on one section and 99 hens on the other?

Ta.. Rainbow Peacock.. they're websites I didn't know about.

More
14 years 4 months ago #308942 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Egg Cartons/Price
Yes, I think it is perfectly acceptable to put your own stickers on used egg cartons.
There is some information regarding labelling of eggs on the Egg Producers Federation web site. www.eggfarmers.co.nz/uploads/Z1912_Egg_Labelling_Guide_2002.pdf

The details regarding RMP's, (Resource Management Plan) is here
www.eggfarmers.org.nz/Starting-a-Commercial-Layer-Farm.asp

The requirement is as follows,

You will need a Risk Management Programme (an RMP) if you are going to produce eggs for sale. A RMP is designed to identify, control, manage and eliminate or minimise hazards and other risk factors so that the resulting Animal Product is fit for intended purpose, under Part 2 of the Animal Products Act. Details of the RMP can be found at the New Zealand Food Safety Authority's website (Eggs).

an excerpt of which says,
All egg producers are required to have a registered risk management programme before trading any eggs, except those who meet all of the following requirements who are exempt:
(a) produce eggs for sale for human or animal consumption from 100 female birds or fewer (all species included); and
(b) sell all eggs that are intended for human or animal consumption direct to the consumer or end user; and
(c) do not sell any eggs to any person for further sale

I don't think two lots of 100 each on two titles, managed as one flock counts!!!

Good luck with the project, but remember these rules are put there by the Food Safety Authority to protect the consumers interest and if you make it a success and decide to expand then you might as well be aware as what is ahead!!

Have you looked on the Egg Producers Federation web site-there is a lot of useful information there.
www.eggfarmers.org.nz/default.asp

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424111 by branksy
Replied by branksy on topic Egg Cartons/Price
hi got my egg cartons from a poultry farm, for free used but good. i think they pay about 30c each new. if not id put an add inthe local paper, free down here under $100.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424153 by mandy_moo31
Replied by mandy_moo31 on topic Egg Cartons/Price
Hiya, I have 70 hens, about 40 are hy-lines, I sell my eggs for $5 Doz and my customers bring back cartons, I advertise if ppl give me 10 or more cartons i will give them a free DOZ of eggs, works a treat.....I was selling for $4.50 doz but as my hens started dropping off and reducing the eggs (moult etc) i had to up the price. You can buy cartons off trade me, i think i paid $20 for 20 cartons. Good luck :-)

More
11 years 11 months ago #424201 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic Egg Cartons/Price

Kiwi303;293093 wrote:
99 hens and less is a backyard operation and you just have to take reasonable precautions, 100 and more you need lots of paperwork.

I think there is some flexibility in that number for carrying replacements isn't there?

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
11 years 11 months ago #424202 by Simkin
Replied by Simkin on topic Egg Cartons/Price

Cinsara;421900 wrote: I think there is some flexibility in that number for carrying replacements isn't there?

99 laying hens.

More
11 years 11 months ago #424222 by lisaeve
Replied by lisaeve on topic Egg Cartons/Price
but it is actually 100 or fewer - OP is right - according to what Sue quoted above.
Good stuff to know, not that I think we'll have over 100 laying hens anytime soon.

17 Ha lifestyle property in Bay of Plenty... 7 Ha covenanted bush, remainder scrub, hills, and flat.

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds