prejudice alive and well in our community

More
14 years 6 months ago #297953 by drifter
I have close family members and close friends with mental illnesses.
I also know people who are petty, vindictive and self-centered.

I don't know which category Juls falls into. Maybe she ticks boxes in all those areas. *shrugs* It doesn't actually matter. The problem was Muletide was stressed to the point of taking days off work and constantly worried about her animals because of things that had actually happened, not solely things she was imagining might happen.

There was/is no reason for Muletide to have to put up with behaviour that she finds unacceptable. I feel the thrust of the thread was aimed at telling Muletide this.

Strange how much you've got to know, Before you know how little you know.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297955 by Kiwi303
Being deaf, at high school I was part of the Special Needs unit (room P9) at school. and tended to meet quite a few with mental problems of one sort or another, from dyslexics, bipolar, a tourettes, depression, and so on.

After dealing with people of all areas of the disability spectrum, you eventually stop looking at them as being mental and they just become other people and treat them pretty equally with the so called "normal" people.

In my case, being a pretty cynical b*stard in any case. That may not be any real help since it just means they get as bad a dose as nasty as anyone else does :P

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297958 by Jen - Featherston
just coming back in to check and wanted to say how well everyone is behaving - thanks!!!

Sometimes its not only what you say, its the way you say it that counts.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297959 by Leeanne
Re life insurance if you have any illness it affects your life insurance?? Ive had cancer so it means I have had to pay more than some one who hasn't. Mental health issues are vairied as with cancer once you get past a time of no reocurrance premuims drop again?? Now as it over 8yrs Im classed as cured so pay less again.

And yes we all have our own mental issues. Its just how we each deal with them that determins what help we may need. Most of what i see on this forum is very positve and helpful. I never felt Juls was being targetted because she had "mental health" issues. Muletide felt uncomfortable in her own home this needed to be put right. Let say we never mentioned mental health and just the dog killed chicken was enough for me to say bus dealer must go.

People can also use their "mental health issues" to get their own way and this in its self is an other issue....
It is a very complex thing and if you are dealing with any one with any sort of mental health issue unless you have the trianing seek advise... I know from experience how quicky you can get pulled in to a web by one who craves attention!! In my case someone with eating and self harm issues.. It is very easy to become part of the persons disorder.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297963 by Cinsara
Juls was a disrespectful, self absorbed, intimidating, manipulating user by all accounts....if it is due to MI or other reasons is irrelevant. I certainly didn't imply that because Juls may or may not have had MI then the lovely lady down the road with post natal depression was going to string up her neighbours cat by mere association with MI. Going to councilling doesn't automatically mean you have a mental illness, so where did you get the link to that theory from Mike? For goodness sake stop the PC bus I need to get off!

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297967 by mikethebike
Hmmm! Thanks for the attack simkin! as for having all the experience whilst this was going on i was out doing what i do every day supporting people who for no fault of their own in general need the support of the mental health service, as for the actual situation i had no issue what so ever about multide evicting her unwelcome guest! and the advice she got was all good, the issue for me was the assumptions made by some that because she was seeing some sort of therapist that she was mentally ill and therefore posed some danger to muletide or her animals which only served to scare the shit out of her, there was no mental health issue that i could see simply an unpleasant person who needed to be moved on.
The purpose of my post was simply to open a debate because with out bringing the issues out into the open we can never overcome the prdjudice,
Yo 303 thats the point! we are all normal with or without health issues and its only when we realize it that things will improve,

when a person who has mental health issues murders someone, it makes international news yet people get murdered every day, NZ is compared to say the UK a very safe place to live with hardly any crime, of course in the big city's crime is much higher there are far more people to commit crime, its the perception that's the problem, when working in an acute psychiatric unit people would say, "wow how can you do that" they have perceptions of one flew over the cuckoo's nest with raving lunatics and straight jackets, where as for 99% of the time its just ordinary every day joe bloggs who is suffering from the distress that life chucks at everyone.

and hey tigger as for the police dealing with mental health issues well, sadly nothing could be further from the truth, they dont have access to mental health files nor do they keep files on people that come in contact with them with health issues, they only have access to criminal records, the majority that i come in contact with dont have the first idea how to deal with someone who is severely mentally unwell, they just handcuff them sometimes will strap them to a stretcher and dump them at the mental health inpatient unit, which sounds all well and good until its your 17 year old daughter who is at university and has become distressed because of exam pressures and has lost the plot.!

Mike and Suzi living the lifestyle in sunny central hawkes bay, Still loads of animals oh and we still have our Zebra truck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297968 by reggit

mikethebike;281093 wrote: and hey tigger as for the police dealing with mental health issues


That wasn't me...? :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297969 by Cinsara

Cinsara;281089 wrote: Going to councilling doesn't automatically mean you have a mental illness, so where did you get the link to that theory from Mike?


I misunderstood your post Mike as I now see you meant there wasn't a link, humble apologies. The unpredictability of a deranged mind is very scary when you are a woman living alone in the country so whilst in an ideal world we would all be very understanding, in reality, outside of the 4 walls of the govt mental health facilities or lack there of, I think sensible advice was given. Don't forget Mike the advice offered was mainly from woman who can understand through personal experience or empathise (through something as simple as walking home alone after dark) with the fear factor of living alone with a wierdo on the door step and with all due respect Mike by mere gendre issues you couldn't possibly comprehend.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297970 by sod
Sorry but how do we define normal, is it everyone that sees it my way?:D

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297971 by Cinsara
Every one has MI to some degree, some tough it out, others make a career out of it. We all understand stress and pressure and it is nothing new, in my day the bad cases had a mental breakdown, now it's called depression. Some poor people have the chemical imbalance but we all know what it feels like to some degree. Kiwi I can just picture you at school :D :D :D

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297972 by muletide

sod;281096 wrote: Sorry but how do we define normal, is it everyone that sees it my way?:D


No normal is someone who sees everything MY way[}:)]

Good point Sod

Life is about the journey, not the destination


CHB

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297977 by reggit

Cinsara;281097 wrote: Every one has MI to some degree, some tough it out, others make a career out of it.


:confused: I'd love to find a way to make it pay [}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297982 by Cinsara
Ha I think it's lumped under voluntary work tigs :-)

I'm not saying most MI isn't genuine but I know a person who beatles off to the doctor for more tablets when they burn a piece of toast then uses that as an excuse never to have to cook again - hang on a minute there's an idea :D She may be on the sickness benefit because of life's pressures but she ain't no fool [;)]
I on the other hand am a fool, when my husband was killed I came as close to loosing my mind as I can possibly imagine but I wouldn't go to the doctor as it was "just" one of lifes experiences. Different school of thought I guess.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297984 by reggit

Cinsara;281108 wrote: I on the other hand am a fool, when my husband was killed I came as close to loosing my mind as I can possibly imagine but I wouldn't go to the doctor as it was "just" one of lifes experiences. Different school of thought I guess.


Sorry you went through that Cinsara :(

There is nothing 'weak' about seeking help when you feel you need it, and from my experiences, if more people went to get professional help (or could afford to get it - another issue altogether [:(!]) when they headed towards a crisis, there would be less serious consequences for themselves and others in the long run.

Unfortunately the system in NZ (and majority of NZers themselves, from what I can tell) can only see the black and white in mental illness - you are either a raving nutter about to harm yourself or others, or perfectly well and not in need of (or deserving of) any help.

For those of us in the middle who need help to manage mental illness to maintain our health, while leading relatively normal lives, there is very little assistance or support out there.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • jdnz
  • jdnz's Avatar
14 years 6 months ago #297985 by jdnz

tigger;281069 wrote: My life insurance premium is twice that of my husband's because of depression. If I came off the meds for two years (and yeah, that would really help!) they would reconsider it [:(!]

Hear hear...we're in the same boat. I feel seriously prejudiced by life insurance companies who "judge me" and decide that I'm at high risk of dying.

My premium is heaps higher than that of my partner because I'm on antidepressants. I can understand them saying that they won't pay out if the insured person kills themself...but why should I be charged double premiums? I'm not higher at risk of dying from a road accident, cancer or a heart attack...I just don't understand the logic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds