In case of off-LSB emergency: be prepared!

More
14 years 6 months ago #296705 by Isla
I feel similarly to Ronnie: there's too much, too many things to be done, so if something goes horribly wrong somewhere, one of us goes for the time required and if necessary, the other follows for the minimum period.

Last year I spent a couple of weeks in the Hospice in Whangarei, while Stephan looked after the cattle at home, including the calving of dead twins, blood tests for aborted cows, chaos all over the place during the end of that awful winter. None of that could have been left in the hands of someone unfamiliar with our farm. As it was, I found it pretty hard not to be at home and hands-on managing it all myself. When the funeral time came, we both did a quick trip down and back in a day, fortunately before there was a cow to milk and before there were calving cows to be checked on regularly.

I've thought my way through this on several occasions, including when Ronnie said she was off when her father died and wondered what help I could be? Realistically there wasn't much I could do. Taking on someone else's twice-a-day feeding/milking/checking routines on top of my own, would be problematic, so when those tasks are required, sometimes we just don't get to have off-farm emergencies, or at least they can't be allowed to take us entirely away.

When Stephan ended up being carted off in an ambulance, I just had to manage, concussion and all, because there was a cow to milk and she was only familiar with either of us doing it out in the paddock, two increasingly-enthusiastic pigs to feed, an epileptic cow to keep under control and so on. Had his injury been long-term, I'd have had to get the pigs slaughtered in short order (for which I would have sought help) and dried off the cow, but for a quickie stay in hospital, it was just manageable, but I wasn't in there holding the squashed man's hand very much of the time.

I guess it depends on the scale and nature of the emergency.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 6 months ago #296740 by reggit
...and the scale and nature of the block/LSB operation too. Would be much easier for us compared to Ronney or Isla, or someone like TKP with a milking goat.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 6 months ago #296752 by GloPony
I agree tigger. I only have horses, sheep & dogs so my place would be a doddle in comparison to a working farm. Hence my surprise at not having any takers.

More
14 years 6 months ago #296769 by simon@sue
Tigger, I am very sorry to hear of your loss. My heartfelt sympathy goes out to you with big cyber hugs.

Sue

4 acres with Garage/sleepout, a pond with ducks and frogs, lots of trees ready to burst into life in spring and lots of garden beds.

More
14 years 6 months ago #296770 by sod
Tigger so sorry for you in your sudden loss, God Bless our thoughts are with you. A big shock came to me when my Mother died suddenly that she was last of our parents and so we were now the family elders and a generation had gone just a thought that came back to mind.

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 6 months ago #296789 by bev
condolances tigger for your loss.

If something here happened, the animals can fend for themselves for 24hrs. I know the grass wont dissapear, which every animal has, and the water wont stop (town supply) I think I am one of very few that has an animals diet is grass, and 'brought/given feed' as a 'treat' (i use that loosely)
I have two seperate properties, that run beefies, breeding bulls, milking cows, and calves. Also on the list is chooks, sheep, goats, horses and pigs. 3 dogs
I also work on a dairy farm and do animal control when needed.
My intructions to who ever i may have to ring ' let them have the paddock, make sure water is full, any problems ring the vet'
K.I.S.S
Keep it simple stupid (not calling anyone stupid)

More
14 years 6 months ago #296797 by ronnie
We thought our place was very simple to keep running. That was until we went on holiday [:0] We were so spoilt with our first house sitter (fellow LSBer) that we assumed the second one would find it a breeze. No feeding out, no hassles, just check small herd of cows and feed one calf. Cats, chooks and dogs, but no horses, goats, pigs or small furry things. 2nd house sitter caused us soooooooo much grief, we will never both be away from here ever again, and is one of the reasons we are selling up.

More
14 years 6 months ago #296799 by reggit
Our dog and the chickens (ferret proofed at night and let out in the morning) are the biggest issues.

The dog can be thrown into the kennels - the big thing there is making sure her shots are up to date and that we can find the vaccination certificate when we need to take her in, esp kennel cough!

Chickens - we asked the neighbour last time to put them away at night time and he did - closed the run up (which we never do!) but didn't realise that he needed to close them in the actual house - so SPECIFIC info, not assuming prior knowledge, is important [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 6 months ago #296914 by Mich
Hi Tigger - really sad about your dad. Mine went the same way (also in Christchurch), so I know the "drop everything and run" bit well. Our sympathy goes out to you and your family.

You raised a really good point about how to cope in an emergency away from home. Fortunately we have a couple of really wonderful friends that can step in and know what to do, but I'm definitely going to give this serious thought because if anything happened to me, I'm not sure how my DH would cope long term with the animal health side of things. Feeding isn't a problem. Identifying problems is more of a challenge. Having a kit with a list of things to look for, as well as the all important contact information, diary of when and what medication etc was given etc etc would be a very handy thing. Thanks for reminding me to do it.

Good exercise for the heart is to bend down and help someone up. Anon.

More
14 years 6 months ago #296988 by NZ Appaloosas
Our condolences, Tigger, on the loss of your father.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297074 by hilldweller
Stock-proof fencing, proper gates and reliable stock water. And good neighbours :)

hilldweller

More
14 years 6 months ago #297110 by max2
sorry to hear your news Tigger. I hope you Dad was very comfortable and you have great memories of good times together. :)

More
14 years 6 months ago #297310 by Inger
The emergency would have to be during the slow season ie. Winter, as its just too complicated to run our place with so many types of animals when they are in baby producing mode.

Yes, pigs seem to scare most people off. Though we were very fortunate to find a farm sitter whose family bred pigs for years when he was growing up, so I wasn't worried while we were away.

Sorry to hear of your loss Tigger.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

• jdnz
14 years 6 months ago #297363 by jdnz
Tigger....I've just clicked and realised who you are! Hi Cousin :-)
Was really sorry to hear about your Dad. Hope your mum's OK.

More
14 years 6 months ago #297365 by reggit
Doh!!!!!! Just clicked! Hey cousin (by marriage) - I was scratching my head there for a while as I know our side of the family doesn't have any rellies in NZ :rolleyes:

Crikey, that is quite a menagerie you have assembled there [;)] in a very short time.

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds