We've got a new toy!!!

More
14 years 8 months ago #294138 by kate
Replied by kate on topic We've got a new toy!!!
Okay, I'll report back next week...unless of course, I fail miserably in which case I will be silent [;)]

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #294140 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic We've got a new toy!!!
Seriously! My first "attempt" (and I use that word in the very loosest sense) took me an hour to back it in a straight line (well, it was supposed to be straight) about 50m. I didn't know the true meaning of "tears of frustration" until that day.

I cried harder when my brother, having backed a trailer only once, then backed it back the 50m in about 10 seconds. Never liked him.

I found backing it into "driveways" was easier to start with, as in turning it 90 degrees.

And I still have to think about the "turn the wheel opposite to the way you want to go" every time I go to back a trailer. What I usually do, just to get my brain into gear (pardon the pun) is turn it one way, then the other while just going back very slowly, so I remind myself how it looks in the rear view mirrow.

More
14 years 8 months ago #294153 by RaeM
Replied by RaeM on topic We've got a new toy!!!
We were looking at getting a Kea trailer with a crate, as we sold our tipper truck that had a stock crate on it, but had to borrow the neighbours Donovan trailer the other week to take our lambs to the sale yards, anyway we were looking and pricing trailers, and saw in the paper one for sale, went and had a look, its an 8 X 4, been built by an enginer. and is about 18 years old, been shed stored, and is in fantastic condition, so for $800 ended up with a lovely trailer, now just got to get hubby on the crate building job. the first thing we did with the new trailer, was to load the old fertilizer spinner and an old lawnmower, plus the remains of two wheelbarrows, as we made one good one out of them, and take them to the scrap metal buyers, so nearly $90 richer we now have a tidy yard, and our poor new trailer has a bit of paint scrapped off the deck. We have the other 5.5 x 4 trailer that we will tidy up and sell now.

RaeM

More
14 years 8 months ago #294154 by FencerMan
Replied by FencerMan on topic We've got a new toy!!!
With the backing thing, generally either you are good at it or your not, its more about how your brain works! If you have good spacial awarness, and can create 3D pictures in your mind then you will be good at it! Its the same kind of skills you use when reading a map and recreating the image in your mind :)

And...supposedly it is scientifically proven that males have better spacial awareness in general :)

Do something.

Either lead, follow, or get out of the way.

'Ted Turner'

More
14 years 8 months ago #294158 by kate
Replied by kate on topic We've got a new toy!!!

FencerMan;276919 wrote: With the backing thing, generally either you are good at it or your not, its more about how your brain works! If you have good spacial awarness, and can create 3D pictures in your mind then you will be good at it! Its the same kind of skills you use when reading a map and recreating the image in your mind :)

And...supposedly it is scientifically proven that males have better spacial awareness in general :)

Well thanks (NOT) for that. I have truly appalling spacial skills. I can't read a map without turning round all the time, I still get lost in Hamilton after 17 years of going there on average 4 times a week....

Practice will make perfect :D :D :D :D

Web Goddess

More
14 years 8 months ago #294159 by Pumpkingirl
Replied by Pumpkingirl on topic We've got a new toy!!!

FencerMan;276919 wrote: With the backing thing, generally either you are good at it or your not, its more about how your brain works! :)

Being able to back, and being good at it, are two different things! :D I'm not good at it, my spatial awareness is terrible, but I can still back a trailer. I tend to back slowly, and a little bit by "feel" on bad days, but I can still do it.

I agree to back a trailer well seems to be much easier if you have good spatial awareness.. however, I've seen some woman backing a trailer really well (in fact, backing a truck and trailer unit!) and some men who ended up getting out of their cars and letting me back their trailers.

I stick by my practicing theory!

More
14 years 8 months ago #294160 by captain zig zag
Hi Kate

I opened this thread thinking of the new Ann Summers Christmas range ;)

a trailer is good tho and it looks very bright and shiny. Get yourself out there and start reversing.:cool:

big hugs to that brother of mine and to you x

More
14 years 8 months ago #294161 by sod
Replied by sod on topic We've got a new toy!!!
PG too true and even more of it. start some where safe:)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 8 months ago #294162 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic We've got a new toy!!!
I don't think I had better post any pics of our trailer :D it has had cancer treatments (rust repairs) a wheel guard has fallen off 3 times and hasn't yet been re-welded back on again (women drivers on a quad going too close to a corner and forgetting the trailer is wider than the bike!), the front 18" of the draw bars and the hitch removed and replaced with several bits of angle iron with the hitch welded back on.

When we first moved from Te Kowhai to Te Waitere on Kawhia Harbour, the local garage guys saw us going past several times with the trailer loaded, the next time the trailer needed a WOF, the guys there pulled a set of REAL heavy duty light truck springs off a wreck and replaced the little factory springs with them. It used to carry a quarter cubic meter of metal down on the bump stops. Now it can carry 1/2 cubic meter (full capacity) of gravel and only just touch the bump stops. :D

The life of an LSB trailer and a farm trailer is a hard one :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 8 months ago #294165 by Ghilly
Replied by Ghilly on topic We've got a new toy!!!
My dad told me, get the trailer and the car straight first. Once you have them lined up, just take it slowly and if you muck it up, pull forward again to straighten it up again and have another go. Keep working at it and once you got that mastered and you have the feel for it, you'll be fine. Just practice and practice and practice and if you start losing it, go have a cup of tea and try again later.

Yakut

More
14 years 8 months ago #294188 by wyseyes
Replied by wyseyes on topic We've got a new toy!!!
Looks like you all need to learn the secret of reversing a trailer.

Usually you are seated, looking over your shoulder. Place your wheel hand ON THE BOTTOM OF THE STEERING WHEEL.

If you want the trailer to go 'that way' (say left), then move your wheel hand (and thus the wheel) THE SAME WAY.
Drive slowly.
Straighten up by going forwards if you have to.
Drive slowly.
Try to follow the trailer once it has started turning.
Drive slowly.
Trailers with long drawbars reverse better than those with short drawbars.

Drive slowly.

I see you shiver in anticip......................................................................................ation

More
14 years 8 months ago #294258 by Beltie
Replied by Beltie on topic We've got a new toy!!!
Oh - that makes good sense wyseyes. Never thought of it like that. One other thing to remember is don't unhitch on a slope without first putting a block behind the wheel - whoops![:I]

More
14 years 8 months ago #294289 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic We've got a new toy!!!
And if you are like me..... decide before you start whether you are going to look over your shoulder or throught the rear view mirror and dont change half way through.Then it is practice practice practice, in the paddock where you dont have to worry about hitting anything.

Carbon-based biological unit.

Time to create page: 0.138 seconds