Weekend surcharge for vet clinics?

More
14 years 9 months ago #293304 by beedee
TIGGS ,my feelings are that if they dont want to work on w/ends they no longer do, there is somthing called wifey/hubby at home and children who would like to know who their father or mother is.. so to make it worth while these extra charges are going to be added.
I am in a position that weekends/ late hours are not acknowledged.. its just one base rate, and low at that.. but for me Id rather have the week days off so I can do other things.
I will ask one generic question and dont want an answer.. but could the problem have waited until Mon or was it more convenient to pop down then???
I see the poor GP's in my town up until 2-3am seeing peeps who just want to be seen NOW, the 4 day old pain is now bugging them... and due to a shortage, that means the doc has to arrive and do his morning clinic cos there is noone to cover the routine folk.
We have not been a 7 day state for all the years that I have lived in NZ, and when banks, grocery stores are open all week long then maybe its a base rate.
BUT the question I would like answered is.. why do animals disappear on a fri and return the sat/sun night and never at 10 am on a mon-fri basis.
Hope Tiggs is ok for all his expense anyway

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293305 by BillyTheTractor
thanks everyone.

And guess what, this afternoon a card arrived from the vets saying what what a 'character' she'd been and they would all miss her.

It was a lovely touch.

She was always horrible to the vet. [:I]

Wee Farm

More
14 years 9 months ago #293308 by reggit

beedee;275980 wrote: TIGGS ,my feelings are that if they dont want to work on w/ends they no longer do, there is somthing called wifey/hubby at home and children who would like to know who their father or mother is.. so to make it worth while these extra charges are going to be added.

I'd clarify the clinic I went to today is a big 'franchise' style clinic, not a small, owner operated one. I would love to know if the surcharge is actually passed on to the vets who are working. I know from when I was flatting with a vet many moons ago that vets who work for a practice (as opposed to the partners) don't earn great money, and the partners certainly weren't the ones that did the odd hours! [;)] And that was when there were penal rates, but the vets were just told they were on salary not hourly rate so no overtime.

beedee;275980 wrote:
I will ask one generic question and dont want an answer.. but could the problem have waited until Mon or was it more convenient to pop down then???...why do animals disappear on a fri and return the sat/sun night and never at 10 am on a mon-fri basis.
Hope Tiggs is ok for all his expense anyway

Most folk I know work 'normal' hours so their ability to get to the vet during weekdays is pretty much non-existent except in absolute emergencies - which is probably why small animal vets have traditionally opened on a Saturday morning at least, to serve their client base. Usually I would be able to get in during the day during the week, but I've been out of town the last two days of last week for work and the same early this week, so not really an option for me either.

I just told hubby about the surcharge, and his first comment was 'did you ask the clinic if it was a public holiday or something?' [}:)]

Again, I have no problem paying extra for after hours, call outs, or emergency visits; I do question surcharges for visits during the clinics normal operating hours, and am asking if that is normal practice around the country...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #293313 by Simkin
Tigger, yes, I think it is becoming normal practice. If it costs a few Dollars less during the week there are folks who will take their pet to the vet then, leaving the vet free to look after the pets of people who work all week.

And you are right - in large practices the vets are on a salary or on contract with no penal rates.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293317 by beedee
BUTTT tiggs I didnt want an answer..

More
14 years 9 months ago #293318 by reggit

beedee;275995 wrote: BUTTT tiggs I didnt want an answer..

:D :D :D

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #293321 by ronnie
BTT and Beedee, condolences to you both on the loss of your beloved pets.
The vet clinic I use in town has regular Saturday morning hours, but I could not tell you if they have a surcharge or not - haven't had to use it on the weekend for a while (bonus of NOT calving or lambing).

Re the card your vet sent you BTT, I once knew a lady who took her rooster to the vet to be pts, rather than have someone else do the deed. The vets sent her a condolence card afterwards as she was so upset......

More
14 years 9 months ago #293323 by stripey
Our vet charges more on saturday morning for both small animals and large animal outcalls, and I find that perfectly justified. It keeps the work load to mostly urgent stuff instead of just convenience visits, and the two vets that have to work (instead of the normal 6 during the week) are not completely run off their feet.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293382 by wiredkiwi
Charges vary from practise to practise, but I agree, they need to tell you if there is a surcharge, and if so, what it is.

Having had some years of listening to the out of hours calls my tame vet gets when on call, I'm surprised they don't charge a 'stupid fee' as well! It's amazing how many people call up for non urgent stuff, or who just want a bit of advice at 11pm on a Sunday.

My vet observation time shows that in this particular practise, all vets do equal on call time, and they always have a backup to the on call vet. In the last 2 years they started charging a decent sized out of hours fee, simply to stop the volume of call outs that were decidedly non-urgent. That fee doesn't get passed on to the vets, but pays for the after hours answering service.

This practise will always treat an animal, 24/7 if the owner requires it, urgent or not. But to stop 'vet abuse' (and there used to be lots of it), people have to pay extra for weekend and evening treatment. Vets need their time off just like the rest of us!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293409 by cowvet
12-13 years ago I worked in a small animal clinic that was open on Saturday - even then the fee was higher than for a Mon-Fri appointment.

The reason that they have set hours is so that they concentrate the work into those times rather than have any number of vomiting cats and sore paws (sorry Tigger) ring up at any hour of the day
There is an extra cost to the clinic to open and staff on a weekend. Unless the clinic is fully staffed as it is during the week then they need to deter routine work and only see animals that can't wait. If the clinic is fully staffed on a weekend then that creates a real dilemma as to when those staff do have a time off .

Seems ironic that vets work all week (and do afterhours) yet clients do not want to take time off their own job to take their pet to the vet...and yet they expect the vet to be there in the weekend to meet the clients convenience. ;-)

So if Saturday morning is convenient for you and means that you do not have to take time out from work during the week then you should expect to pay for it - the bottom line it is at the expense of someone elses weekend!

I love animals...they're delicious

More
14 years 9 months ago #293412 by reggit
Fair enough, cowvet, but if they are going to do that they need to (a) advertise very very clearly that is the case (their ads only show these as 'normal' opening hours) and (b) also advertise within the clinic itself (which they do not do). Especially when it is a recent change in policy/charging as it is in this case. There were plenty of signs up about having to pay on the day and the penalties if you don't...so a few about the charging regime would not go amiss [;)]

More
14 years 9 months ago #293415 by BillyTheTractor

cowvet;276096 wrote:
Seems ironic that vets work all week (and do afterhours) yet clients do not want to take time off their own job to take their pet to the vet...and yet they expect the vet to be there in the weekend to meet the clients convenience. ;-)

So if Saturday morning is convenient for you and means that you do not have to take time out from work during the week then you should expect to pay for it - the bottom line it is at the expense of someone elses weekend!

agree 100%
tbh I am so happy with the treatment that any of our animals receive I rarely even look at the bill. [:I]

Wee Farm

More
14 years 9 months ago #293490 by Jenny
We just had to get the vet out late this afternoon to pull a huge calf out of our cow. Although I don't know what its going to cost I would probably still pay double. Luckily calf and cow both seem well.[^]

By the way she is a jersey and dad a lowline cross. Not a combination you would expect to produce a big calf. It was her 5th calf and she was not overweight but we had been waiting and waiting for her to calve.

Jenny
Waikato

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds