Weekend surcharge for vet clinics?

More
14 years 9 months ago #19803 by reggit
Called up the vet clinic (small animals only) to make an appointment to take the dog in as she is very sore on one foot. Was surprised that, for the first time, I'm told there is a surcharge for the weekend - $61 instead of weekday price of $53.

Any one else's small animal vets do this?

I guess I am surprised as its not out of their traditional hours which includes Saturdays, and this seems to be a new charge...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293217 by Leeanne
vets here charge extra for weekends and any after hours calls.... vets are pretty costly at any time... I can pretty much be sure if I need a vet it will be after hours weekends or public hols My horses always seem to plan these events!!!! last bill $500 for horse with bad wire cut this was 3 visits but 1st was a sunday and i think it was over $200. :(

More
14 years 9 months ago #293224 by reggit
This is where I am wondering about it leanne...our normal vets (for other than the dog) don't charge extra at all for coming out on weekends (although of course we avoid calling them out on weekends at all costs, only for emergencies) so perhaps I should be more surprised at that? I know I was when I got the bill as expecting to pay extra...

This is in-clinic for our dog, not a call out - just to be clear...and this isn't what I'd call after hours as their clinic is open those hours as a matter of course...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #293230 by Pumpkingirl
Our small animals vet has always charged about $10 more for a weekend visit.

But it's never the small animal vet I need on a weekend[}:)] Animals know the day of the week, for sure. I'm really surprised your vet doesn't charge extra for a weekend visit. Ours charges an additional $60-$80 from memory.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293238 by DiDi
I'm not sure I understand why a Vet would charge more on a Saturday morning when it is normal clinic hours.

When E (dog) first became sick on a Saturday morning, I was in Pal. North and was able to take her to a small animal Vet as an emergency appointment on Saturday morning, checked over thoroughly, antibiotics for 5 days supplied and faxing her report through to my Vet up here. It cost $60 which I thought was brilliant. Maybe relief came into it as i'm not sure what any other Vet would have charged. Obviously good compared with just your consultation charge tigger.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293242 by BillyTheTractor
Ours doesn't. Actually I have not a bad thing to say about our vets - I love them.
This week I had to take my old lady cat Pixie (I've spoken about her here before) who had had another stroke. She'd been 2 days previously and was getting worse so I took her back on Wednesday. I had a 2 hour thing to do so went back after that. Vet had given her an injection to get her to eat and also a drip to rehydrate her. She'd spent her lunch hour researching and speaking to other vets to see if there was anything else that we could do. Basically she was doing all this to buy Pixie a bit of time for me to make the 'decision'.
I knew it was time so I stayed with Pixie while she was sedated ( she was a terribly grumpy girl and wouldn't have stayed still enough any other way.) Then I stroked her as she was put to sleep. Our lovely vet spent about an hour with me and was just amazing.
I took Pixie home and we buried her under a new flowering cherry. :( :( It was all incredibly sad and I'm still very teary - she was 24 and I've had her for way more than half my life.

Anyway,the point of this is..when my DH went in the following day to pay the bill was only $30. Thy didn't charge for half the stuff they did, we fully expected and were absolutely willing to pay a bill of at least a couple of hundred dollars.

This and many other reasons is why I love our vets.

Wee Farm

More
14 years 9 months ago #293244 by DiDi
That is so thoughtful and caring. No wonder you love your Vet so much. I say that about my Vet too when it comes to putting a cat to sleep (three) as there is no one else I would want to use. Even the Vet and nurse got misty eyed when we put Nellie down (19) which makes you feel they too valued your "baby". Sorry Pixie's time had come but wow - what a fantastic age to reach.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293247 by Simkin
We had to take our cat to the after hours clinic once and it was 150 Dollars minimum charge. That was in the wee hours of the morning on a weekend at an emergency vet practice. So no call-out, just seeing a vet who was there all night. The 150 Dollars included a consultation but anything extra like an injection which our cat had came on top of the minimum charge. So I think, Tigger, you got away lightly.

Hi BTT,

what a shame that you already are married to your dentist[;)]

More
14 years 9 months ago #293249 by Leeanne
I would say it something they do for sat morning in spite of being open... I agree it could have been alot worse. with my horse I rang 2 vets before I found one that could come and then she got there took one look and said i think its beyond me!!!! She rang 3 other vets none of which could come.... By this time I was freaking!! blood was spray from wound there was at least 2ltrs on ground!! I rang another vet who was away but just had is number diverted to his cell he advised us on what to do. so between me and the vet we got pressure bandages etc on and then the vet i spoke to on phone came out on monday!!! I would say 90% of my vet calls are after hours!!!

More
14 years 9 months ago #293252 by kate
Hi BTT - sorry to hear about Pixie :( :(

Web Goddess

More
14 years 9 months ago #293265 by Pumpkingirl

DiDi;275909 wrote: I'm not sure I understand why a Vet would charge more on a Saturday morning when it is normal clinic hours.

That's a good point - if I think about it, perhaps the only times I've been in over a weekend, it has been a Sunday, that might be the reason.

I personally don't mind - it's hardly anything for the convenience of being able to see my own vet.

BillyTheTractor wrote: This and many other reasons is why I love our vets.

Wow, that is above and beyond the call of duty. I'm very sorry to hear about Pixie, you must be a great Mum to have her live for so long.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293271 by beedee
There was a $48 a/h call out added to all the other charges for my cat last weekend so it costs more for PTS than a speying.. This is new, they used to be plain 7/7 24/24 rate.. I'm not complaining I wanted my cat to be put out of her severe pain.. and so a $200 snuffing was worth it.. but I couldnt afford too many emotional moments like that

More
14 years 9 months ago #293279 by Stu_R
Vets here are same rate on saturday as durring week .. saturday morning when they are open that is .
cost me $65 5 years a go for an after hours to take my Dalmatain in with an internal rupture . Iwouldnt have him suffer, so had him put to sleep, and that cost as well, the $65 was just the after hours fee and normal charges on top of that... and that was 5 years a go

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #293300 by reggit
Well, apparently it's not as simple as a Saturday charge...its even more for Saturday 12-4pm - again, in spite of them being their normal opening hours, not a call out or an afterhours call/visit! This is a big clinic with a shop attached, so these hours are when they, and their shop, are open for business.

So...
$53 normally when they are open during the week
$61 on Saturday (when they are normally open) from 9-12
$69 on Saturday (when they are normally open) from 12-4

If they are surcharging for vet visits at these times when they are normally open and advertise as much...shouldn't they be charging a surcharge on every purchase from their 'shop' during this time, much as cafes etc do on public holiday...???? [}:)]

What annoyed me more is that I had an appointment at 11am, was the only one waiting, but didn't get to see the vet until 11.40 as the person in front of me took nearly an hour for their consultation, and I was in there 10 minutes at the most. So I get charged the same amount for ONE animal being seen quickly, as someone who brought in their TWO pets (cat and a guinea pig) and was in there for 5-6 times as long!

At least the big animal vets charge in blocks of time so it is a bit fairer :(

Time to shop around for a new vet. Might just start taking the dog to our big animal vets (who also do little animals).

More
14 years 9 months ago #293303 by beedee
TIGGS ,my feelings are that if they dont want to work on w/ends they no longer do, there is somthing called wifey/hubby at home and children who would like to know who their father or mother is.. so to make it worth while these extra charges are going to be added.
I am in a position that weekends/ late hours are not acknowledged.. its just one base rate, and low at that.. but for me Id rather have the week days off so I can do other things.
I will ask one generic question and dont want an answer.. but could the problem have waited until Mon or was it more convenient to pop down then???
I see the poor GP's in my town up until 2-3am seeing peeps who just want to be seen NOW, the 4 day old pain is now bugging them... and due to a shortage, that means the doc has to arrive and do his morning clinic cos there is noone to cover the routine folk.
We have not been a 7 day state for all the years that I have lived in NZ, and when banks, grocery stores are open all week long then maybe its a base rate.
BUT the question I would like answered is.. why do animals disappear on a fri and return the sat/sun night and never at 10 am on a mon-fri basis.
Hope Tiggs is ok for all his expense anyway

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds