Supplementary feed this winter..

More
14 years 7 months ago #292346 by Kilmoon
Well I don't know what winter you guys are referring to. We haven't had one :D as we went straight from autumn to spring, I must have blinked and missed the one day of winter that we had down here.

As a result we have over half of our winter feed left and our sheep are just a not interested in hay at all (though usually we are feeding out till the end of September). So I only have to buy in the equivalent for next winter and we're back to normal levels.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292347 by Organix

kaybe;274869 wrote: How about "I always have to buy supplementary feed on an ad hoc basis because I don't have the right kind of property to grow my own"...

:-)

+1 Trade Me is my supplementary feed reserve, plus a few sheep pellets :)

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
14 years 7 months ago #292348 by Louimay
We have had a very cold winter and it was a early winter. Luckily August has been our saving grace but May was sheer hell. (Inland Motueka)

Anyway we had 47 big squares of baleage and approx 400 bales of hay at the beginning of May (all cut off our own property).

As of tommorrow we will have no baleage left and about 100 bales of hay left. We are still feeding out to the cattle and will do for a bit longer. The sheep have enough grass to eat now so the hay has stopped for them.

I also purchased 3 bags of sheep nuts (still have one and a half left) for the sheep and about 4 bags of steamflaked barley for my elderly horse during the winter.

Roll on spring!!!

More
14 years 7 months ago #292354 by GloPony
I purchased adhoc this winter too as we'd just moved onto our property & I'd had nowhere to store hay & hardfeed earlier. (We were living on our boat).

Had I pre-purchased & stored my feed prior to winter, I would have run out very early. We haven't weathered well at all here!

I'll certainly be doing things differently next winter & will be using all of summer to get the pasture better prepared to cope too. (Drainage, fertiliser, harrowing, rolling ,etc).

More
14 years 7 months ago #292368 by Stu_R
:) lol lol Isla :) ... well i dont have a hay barn , or any hay ..lol so kate can raid the grove anytime :) lol lol

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #292370 by kate

Isla;274903 wrote: This is a scam, isn't it? You just want to know where to buy some cheap second-hand feed for next winter! I'm onto you. Look out you guys, Kate probably knows where you all live, where your haybarns are, when you're in and out ...

My next question was going to be about when you're out of the place...foiled again [}:)][}:)][}:)][}:)]:cool::cool::cool::cool:

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #292397 by sod
We make our own or buy in as its made but as there was so much feed being stored around here we stocked up instead and bought in as needed. The price has been great and is cheaper now than before winter :D so still have 100bales hay in shed and stock ready to sell as the grass starts to grow :) .Will never take that risk again though:):)

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 7 months ago #292404 by 4MyStandys
I went mad last summer and bought in way more than I needed after the previous summer's drought debacle - and haven't even used half of it.

Still got a mildly embarrassing grass surplus - just a wee one ;-) But then, one cow didn't get in calf, we had the good fortune to sell the R2 steer through the yards, one horse went off for breaking in and hasn't come home yet, and all the ram lambs sold last year...so grazing pressure is down a bit as well.

Next spring we'll have 7 cattle (3 lactating cows, their 3 calves and a heifer), 3 horses and the usual number of sheep so I'm picking if I have "far too much" hay on hand next winter too we'll be just fine :-)

I'd much rather be feeding out 2 year old hay than having to run round like a headless chook trying to find it or worse, rationing everything so no one is fully fed.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292546 by feedqueen
Well , I answered that I had just the right amount which I did, but only after I destocked a bit when it looked like it was not going to be enough :)

More
14 years 7 months ago #292694 by terralee
Pretty much the right amount (after a panic buy of another 36 bales mid winter to add to the original 150 bales[:0]) but I am happier when I have toooooo much ... I can't stand rationing their feed:( :( not when the grass is short and the weather is horrible :(
Cheers :)

Leonie & Zoo!!! :silly: :woohoo:

More
14 years 7 months ago #293108 by Seaside
We had lots more (home grown hay), only because we couldn't afford replacements for the cattle we sold (too much investment in the chillies).

However, it does mean that once we have the cash for stock, we will have enough winter feed to get more (so far we've had three or four, maximum we'd do is six to take the pressure off the grazing, however the previous owners ran 15!)

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 7 months ago #293428 by wedtoiain
For the first time ever we were in a position to make our own silage and then get another cut for hay. We are just over the half way mark with the silage and the hay. Will use up all the silage regardless as advised best used up before it gets mouldy. All our beasties and horses love it so we are going through 1 bale (7 bale equivalent) every two days. The hay we are giving mostly to the calves we are rearing this year. We expect to have hay left over to take us into the next season. Have already closed up the paddocks for the next silage cut which is due aprox Nov.

70 acres with 1 husband, 1 mother-in-law, cattle, horses, dogs, cats, chooks, wild ducks, pigs.[:D][:D]

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds