Supplementary feed this winter..

More
14 years 7 months ago #19729 by kate
It's the first day of spring tomorrow [8D][8D][8D][8D] I'm curious to know a couple of things...

Web Goddess

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292257 by cowvet
so you want us to guess what it is that you want to know????????

I love animals...they're delicious

More
14 years 7 months ago #292259 by kate
Sorry cowvet...the way vBulletin works is you have to post the thread then go back and put the poll in...it's there now :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #292268 by Pumpkingirl
I'm confused though, which poll do you want me to vote on?

The one on supplementary feed, or the one on supplementary feed?:confused: :D

More
14 years 7 months ago #292270 by kate
On refers to this winter, one to next winter...so you can reply to both :D :D

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #292271 by Pumpkingirl
Brain melting... poof![:0]

It is Monday you know, this is asking quite a bit.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292273 by kaybe
How about "I always have to buy supplementary feed on an ad hoc basis because I don't have the right kind of property to grow my own"...

:-)

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
14 years 7 months ago #292274 by kate
I know...I'm sure it can't still be Monday, it's been the longest Monday I can remember since I worked for British Telecom [}:)]

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #292276 by hilldweller
After much swearing and cursing over the hay debacle, culling four cows I hadn't intended to, and the great good luck of having decided to leave a fairly large paddock fallow this year and it producing a HUGE quantity of feed (it's still going strong!), yes I had just enough. And I've got some very well mulched plantings.

hilldweller

More
14 years 7 months ago #292277 by kate

kaybe;274869 wrote: How about "I always have to buy supplementary feed on an ad hoc basis because I don't have the right kind of property to grow my own"...

:-)

Hi Kaybe

I did think about that...we make or buy in most of our feed but horse feed is bought in as and when we need it. But I think that's covered in the 'right amount' option. It's more about stored feed, I suppose [B)]

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 7 months ago #292304 by Isla
This is a scam, isn't it? You just want to know where to buy some cheap second-hand feed for next winter! I'm onto you. Look out you guys, Kate probably knows where you all live, where your haybarns are, when you're in and out ...

More
14 years 7 months ago #292334 by LongRidge
None of the above.
Last year I had about 600 bale equivalents more than this year, and had to buy 60 bales at the end.
This year I have 600 bale equivalents left, so I've used 1200 bales less with 4 cattle and 10 sheep less. And they are in better condition, except for the food poisoning.
It makes planning hard ....

More
14 years 7 months ago #292336 by Ghilly
I have a small biscuit of hay and a large biscuit of straw left until Wednesday. Grain and chaff are bought a sack at a time.

Don't have the land to grow our own feed and don't have the money to buy in for the winter so I just have to get it when I can. Also, nowhere to store any large amounts of hay (more than 5 bales). I used to store it in the carport but that sprung a leak so I have to keep it in the back of the ute. Can't find where the leak is coming from.

Bulk feed just isn't a happening thing here. It'll be slim pickings Kate if yer gonna be wandering over here.[;)] :D

The woman at the feed store thought I was joking when I said I had to raid my piggy bank to get a bag of grain... until I emptied out my pockets....

Yakut

More
14 years 7 months ago #292338 by Ronney
This was the most balmy winter I can remember. I usually buy in the equivalent of 200 bales of hay and often have to top it up. This year I sourced 10 large bales (12 bale equivalents) from my usual supplier but he couldn't give me more because he had a lousy hay season. So I went into winter in full worry mode. I've used less than 3 of those 10 bales and some of what was used went for pig bedding. I've stopped feeding out because they're not eating it.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 7 months ago #292344 by ronnie
We have one paddock that we make feed from. It is usually cut Xmas week and we get around 12 medium square bales of baleage. It was left a month longer this year and we got 18 squares of it[:0]
We also shut up 2 smaller paddocks to strip graze this winter for the first time.
So the cows are getting a strip of grass in the morning and baleage in the evening and haven't heard a moo out of any of them all winter.
Still have about a 3rd of the paddock to go plus 12 bales of baleage.
So this year, we will cut hay instead of baleage for next winter, although we only used about 5 bales of hay all winter.
Still feeding out for about another 3 weeks or so.....

Time to create page: 0.185 seconds