Dog Gone........! Can you understand....

More
14 years 9 months ago #289851 by Kiwi303
28 days rustie, 4 weeks.

Didi, a few are pets, Charlemagne for one, he'll come rushing out of the run into the house whenever you open the door to refill the feed bowl, looking for a cuddle, for a year he was my brothers house pet at uni on Chch/Lincoln, running around the flat at will. Another, which has been being petted and stroked for 1 year and 3 months, went into the freezer today.

Even the pets get eaten when their time and usefulness is up, If the lines are getting a little too closely bred and it's time to buy in an outside gene line stud buck, the old one gets recycled as stew. The old ones are too tough to roast.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289858 by Dream Weaver
I heard a vet being questioned on the radio about this,. She said that if it were her, she definately would not like to eat something like dog. As she said the things like sheep,cow etc that people normally eat are herbivores. A dog is carnivore... hmmm She also said that things like dog could have bad infestations of worms that would pass through to whoever might eat it.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289860 by DiDi
My daughter has a Hairless Chinese Crested Dog and from what I have read of their history, the hairless ones were the lucky ones as the Chinese used to take them (the breed) on their ships. The hairy ones were eaten but the hairless were used as hot water bottles so to speak. You have to hold one to realise how "hot" they are and why that story makes sense. However, I love my little hairless grandie and no way could I consider someone eating his Mum who was hairy. Yuck!

I am also confused as to why we are bringing up the Maori etc and what they did to animals (and people) so many years ago - life has changed! We have animals that go through an abbattoir that is ruled by Law as to how they are killed and handled. We have freezers and chillers and modern machinery - what has pre technology days got to do with this subject? It is a practise that happens in remote areas of the Islands that don't have the income we have, don't probably have the refrigeration, ability and income to go to the supermarket and work out the week's menu and buy accordingly. Are we going to go backwards to accepting pre technology as a standard for our country?

I have also been in Bali and choked at the mange ridden dogs that are on the streets. They don't have the ability to look after their dogs as we do with modern veterinary medicine so once again - are we as a country going to go back to what I would call prehistoric times and find that that is acceptable? That is my take on even considering eating our pets as a food source bearing in mind the difference between sheep, cattle etc that live in paddocks on grass and do not need our "care and support" to survive as long as they have grass and water. How does that equate to a dog or cat?

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289875 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Dog Gone........! Can you understand....
Hear Hear Didi.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289879 by Ronney
Well said Didi. I've kept out of this particular thread as people seem to be confusing issues without realising they're doing it.

Cinsara mentioned Papakura. When I was on my own and looking to buy a house, a friend who was very conversant with South Auckland and loved looking at houses, came with me on some of my viewing. We turned into a street, drove 50 yards, she did a U turn and drove out. Her reason: I would come home from work one night and find somebody had eaten my cats for dinner. She knew the street and knew it's unacceptable level of disappearing cats and dogs. I lived a further 6 years in South Auckland and while I didn't lose any of my cats **Moderated**

Perhaps some of you need to come down from your Ivory Towers and go and live in parts of the country that most will have never seen with a people that you have had little to do with, if anything at all.

In the meantime I think that Pippy pup is a useless dog and will go on the BBQ on Saturday. Who's coming? Nobody? Now that is surprising.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 9 months ago #289880 by Isla
Ronnie, if only you'd phoned yesterday, before I accepted another invitation!

More
14 years 9 months ago #289884 by Ronney
I beg your pardon Shaun - it is massive generalisation in your opinion.

And Isla, remember the other post.....:(

More
14 years 9 months ago #289889 by kate
Ronney - you are welcome to your views, as is everyone on this forum. Posting inflammatory material is not allowed and will be moderated.

I know feelings are strong on both sides of this topic. So, to deflect from the 'attacking the messenger rather than the message' which seems to be starting I have a question.

What is acceptable or unacceptable to eat and why?
Who should regulate that?

I wouldn't eat dog or cat. Neither would I eat veal. It's a personal choice but I don't think I have the right to make everyone else conform to my own choices. From this case there may be legislation passed that prevents homekill of some species. So what should those species be? Vegetarians would say all, Kiwi303 may say none....I think most of us are in between...

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds