Dog Gone........! Can you understand....

More
14 years 9 months ago #289764 by Rustie
It's ok! Although looking at the comments i'd say that they're mixed on whether it's acceptable in NZ!

A good friend will bale you out of jail.
A real friend will be sat in there with you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289782 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Dog Gone........! Can you understand....
Rustie, I would like to know when opinons on this being 'acceptable' in NZ started to change. To me it will never be acceptable.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289783 by Isla

Huggiechook;271932 wrote: just to add it to the mix - you may want to look up what halal or for that matter kosher butchering involves (no head donking allowed!!). And yes it happens in NZ in in great style - since it is the only way we get to export lamb and beef to the middle east (not much of a pork market though [;)])

I believe that's not strictly accurate. I was told at my local works that they are registered for Halal killing and all the cattle are stunned seconds before they have their throats cut. It would seem the Kosher market is rather smaller.

See www.biosecurity.govt.nz/animal-welfare/n...ous-requirements.htm

More
14 years 9 months ago #289784 by reggit
Succinct column from Rudman in the Herald this morning re these two topics...

www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10591615

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
14 years 9 months ago #289785 by Kiwi303

Toni - Northland;272042 wrote: Rustie, I would like to know when opinons on this being 'acceptable' in NZ started to change. To me it will never be acceptable.

I've never thought of it as ever being unreasonable. if someone wants to eat something that is theirs in the first place and is not on the protected or endangered list, then that's their choice.

If a protest BBQ gets organised in front of parliment, I'd be there on this issue munching on a pit bull spare rib! If dogs go on a "Pets: Do Not Eat" list, then how long before the SPCA have rabbits and horses and calf club lambs on it.

All the SPCA is tryign to do here is infringe on our freedom of choice. As far as I am concerned, they can go get ****ed.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 9 months ago #289786 by Isla
Hear, hear to Mr Rudman!

We are probably following down the same track as the US with its Animal Rights groups which raise funds on the basis of saving poor little animals, then spend vast sums on lobbying to ban many practices which are vital to production farming. I believe our animal welfare rules are generally pretty sound (let's leave pig and chicken farming out of the argument, since I have a different view on what they end up allowing!) There are certainly some practices I've come across which have been apalling and some similar acts have ended up in the news as the result of prosecutions. The backyard dog dealing in this story is a 'gentle' end compared to some animal lives.

I think the dog issue in this context has been very useful in perhaps making people think about the issue of humane killing and that what you do after that is really just a matter of taste. [;)]

More
14 years 9 months ago #289788 by Rustie
Toni - what you find acceptable isn't the same as i would find acceptable. Some people think it's ok to eat Bambi, others wee lambs, goat, some eat kina, possum, rats, insects, alsorts. I wouldn't judge anyone on what they chose to eat, as long as it was killed humanely and was legal. If it was going to die anyway then isn't it better to die for a purpose?

More
14 years 9 months ago #289789 by Cinsara

tigger;272044 wrote: Succinct column from Rudman in the Herald this morning re these two topics...

That is so well written, he must have read my mind, it is exactly how I think about everything from the dog through duck shooting to big game fishing, to hypocrates in the beehive - did he mention the hypocrates in the SPCA.....must go and re read it.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 9 months ago #289791 by Dream Weaver

xevbellringer;271718 wrote: In my very unPC opinion - people who eat their pets are only one step away from cannibalism. Pets are part of the family. You start down that path & where does it end? Things get a bit tough, do you start eyeballing the neighbours pets? What do you eat after that? Unwanted relatives & children? Gee - granny's not very useful anymore - I know of one way she could be... But hey - I still gonna pop out more kids!

It's all about respect, or the lack of it for anything other than thyself.

Anyone ever read Collapse by Jared Diamond?

Absolutely agree.

I know what id like to do with the B*****. It should be made illegal to eat dogs in NZ. ALL people coming into NZ should have to be made aware of what is and isnt acceptable, sign a form and if they are caught doing anything it should be bye bye, back to where they came from. Can you imagine if it were made legal...... my god look out anyone with a guide dog or companion dog, they would be stolen along with many other beloved pet pooches.
The old saying when in Rome..... well when in NZ same applies and if ya dont like it dont come, sorry but to me we are making allowances for far too many people who come to this country.

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289804 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Dog Gone........! Can you understand....

Rustie;272050 wrote: Toni - what you find acceptable isn't the same as i would find acceptable. Some people think it's ok to eat Bambi, others wee lambs, goat, some eat kina, possum, rats, insects, alsorts. I wouldn't judge anyone on what they chose to eat, as long as it was killed humanely and was legal. If it was going to die anyway then isn't it better to die for a purpose?

AAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! If I hear that slogan again I will scream. Nobody has answered my question. 'When did it become acceptable and opinions start to change oneating cats and dogs in this country'?

More
14 years 9 months ago #289809 by stacey

Toni - Northland;272066 wrote: 'When did it become acceptable and opinions start to change oneating cats and dogs in this country'?

How do you know that there has been a change in opinion?

Perhaps quite a lot of people have always thought that it is none of their business what other people eat (as long as it is legal and has been killed humanely [}:)] :p ) but it hasn't really been a big issue until now because it hasn't been in the media very often. Or perhaps you are right in that there has been a big change in opinion over the last few decades (but in my opinion - I don't think so...). But we don't know unless surveys, study and statistics has been applied to the topic - a quick google shows that it hasn't at present. But if you can find one - I'd be very interested. Being a scientific sort of person, my opinion can change when presented with different facts, evidence and proof :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #289818 by Cinsara

smilie;272053 wrote: Can you imagine if it were made legal.

It is legal smilie.

I think it is unacceptable to eat a pet but can't for the life of me see the difference between a dog and any other animal to be honest...nasty to my sensibilities but that's all. If I was in India having a sneaky steak sandwich I wouldn't think I was doing anything THAT bad but I would be...it is all about perception. In saying that I am all for it to be made illegal bit it's not going to stop the deed though (clobber and cut to get rid of an unwanted animal), it will just stop them eating it....in the open anyway. I always thought it was illegal to eat dogs and cats in NZ because I remember a huge furore in Papakura when a Chinese restaurant was caught serving cat - it was shut down for ages but it must have been about the sourcing of the meat not that fact it was cat. Go figure.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 9 months ago #289824 by Kiwi303

Toni - Northland;272066 wrote: AAAAAAAAAGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!! If I hear that slogan again I will scream. Nobody has answered my question. 'When did it become acceptable and opinions start to change oneating cats and dogs in this country'?

As far as I am aware, It always has been and it never has changed. I doubt the chinese gold miners stopped eating dogs when they came over in the 1800's, and their neighbours didn't lead lynch mobs to change the law. they kept out of their neighbours business.

Dog, Cat, Cow, Sheep, they all have 4 legs and are made out of meat, there is no legal or moral difference.

Guinea pigs and rabbits are both common pets, and both are common meals. so why should cats and dogs be exempt?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 9 months ago #289837 by DiDi
Kiwi - you breed rabbits right? You eat them presumably. Do you also call them pets?

So on a different tangent - do we not have a Law in NZ that unless you have cared for or been involved with the health and wellbeing of the animal for 6 weeks? - you cannot kill it? Thinking farm animals.

I have had Islanders come to my property asking if I have pigs for sale etc. If that is against the Law, then why is that avenue not being followed up? Did these guys have the dog for six weeks, feeding it, caring for it etc and if not, why are they not being prosecuted for flouting the Law? If they did have it for six weeks then that blows that theory out of the water but IF the Law is there - and I stand to be corrected - then how many backyard people will go and get a dog to BBQ for the family?

If I am right in my presumtion of the Law then it really comes down to Policing the Law and that will stop the practise in it's tracks. It would be cheaper to buy meat at the Supermarket than keep, feed and propertly care for an animal/dog presumably?

More
14 years 9 months ago #289838 by Rustie
I think you thinking of homekill's Didi, and i believe that's 30days but am not sure?

I agree with above, when was it not acceptable? As far as i'm aware, Maori were the first to bring dogs to NZ (or any mammal including rat), and whilst they also used dogs for hunting, they also ate them (and rats for that matter?)l

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds