Dog Gone........! Can you understand....

More
14 years 9 months ago #289264 by Kiwi303

sssnake;271447 wrote: Everyone is entitled to one and who is to say which one is the correct one :)

The saying I know is rather more direct :P "Opinons are like Assholes, Everyone has one and they're all full of shit at times."

ass to the WWII comment...
I remember a story in a collection of WWI trench stories, it basicly ran "We had a pet dog that adopted us, everyone liked it cause it chased and ate the rats int he trenches, one day german shrapnel killed it, we ate well that night." Except it took a couple of pages to tell.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289269 by Isla

DrVee;271424 wrote: ...how is that less humane than the thousands of cattle and sheep that are slaughtered in exactly the same manor in a slaughterhouse every day in NZ? And how many horror stories do we hear of cattle or sheep 'getting up' or 'waking up' off the floor??? ...

Ok, how many do we hear of? You must be reading or hearing different things than I.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289270 by Kiwi303
I think ythe point is that we DON'T hear them, so it must therefore be humane, and therefore the dog killing is too, so why the fuss?

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
14 years 9 months ago #289271 by devan
Awww man i just found out that it was the uncle of one of the guys i work with :( We had a discussion about it and eating dog is very common for them. Never stolen or someones pet tho, usually just when someone in the family decides they dont want their dog anymore [:0]

The trouble with some women is that they get all excited about nothing,and then they marry him.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289281 by Cinsara
Can't see the problem myself, apparently the dog was clobbered and rendered senseless before it was dispatched and if it was me I would rather go as a homekill than be raised to trust humans all my life then sent on a cattle truck for hours to arrive at a strange place that stinks of death where I am bullied and pushed and generally stressed to the max before I'm killed. NZ'rs eat family pets every day of the week in the form of bottle raised lamb pork and beef and calf club chickens. Personally I can't eat anything that I have have had any hand in rearing let alone a carnivore but a lovely lady at works' family does it on the island she comes from. Better that than kicking unwanted animals out on the street to fend for them selves like we do to roosters!

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 9 months ago #289283 by Cinsara

DrVee;271424 wrote:
how is that less humane than the thousands of cattle and sheep that are slaughtered in exactly the same manor in a slaughterhouse every day in NZ? And how many horror stories do we hear of cattle or sheep 'getting up' or 'waking up' off the floor???

Isla;271473 wrote: Ok, how many do we hear of? You must be reading or hearing different things than I.

Actually I know a group of people who worked at the meat processing place in Otahuhu and it happens more than we might think, especially with bobbies apparently [xx(]

>

More
14 years 9 months ago #289291 by NZ Appaloosas

devan;271475 wrote: Awww man i just found out that it was the uncle of one of the guys i work with :( We had a discussion about it and eating dog is very common for them. Never stolen or someones pet tho, usually just when someone in the family decides they dont want their dog anymore [:0]

So, Devan, gonna make sure you only eat vegetarian if you get invited over for dinner? ;)

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289303 by DiDi
"usually just when someone in the family decides they dont want their dog anymore"

Someone on the other thread put it down well to my way of thinking and that was to do with the fact that pet dogs usually cohabit with the family in that they are tame, trained, come in and out of the house etc. We don't cohabit with out sheep, cattle and deer etc.

To be honest, my head goes into overdrive on this subject because to me, it puts such a low value on the life of an animal. Is this why some people think that dog fighting is fine? Is this why dogs are left with no food or water on the end of a chain riddled with fleas and left to starve in piles of its own excrement? How can this be OK?

Definitely not arguing or trying to change anyones mind as it would seem the majority of people both here and on Views in other threads agree it is not a problem.

I just worry about the social and emotional development for children raised believing that if you don't want your pet dog anymore, or can't be bothered taking responsibility for looking after it, you can kill and eat it. Shrug shoulders.

We have plenty of Vets in NZ (perhaps not in the Islands) and the SPCA to deal with unwell or unwanted pets (even if the end result is euthunasia).

Sorry guys - I totally accept your right to your opinion - but I won't be changing mine in a heartbeat.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289309 by stacey

DiDi;271508 wrote: To be honest, my head goes into overdrive on this subject because to me, it puts such a low value on the life of an animal. Is this why some people think that dog fighting is fine? Is this why dogs are left with no food or water on the end of a chain riddled with fleas and left to starve in piles of its own excrement? How can this be OK?

I think (and remember this is just my opinion [;)]) that there is a big difference between your examples of animal cruelty and killing a dog humanely to eat. Key word here is "humanely". :)

More
14 years 9 months ago #289318 by sod
I'm so glad we live in a country that we have the right to believe differently an do and say so without fear of attack. I could not knowinglly eat dog,cat or horse but if I was in India I wouldn't eat cattle as it offends people there

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 9 months ago #289474 by Cinsara
From what I understand these people didn't realise they were offending anyone. Yuk I would no more eat a dog than fly to the moon but that's because of my upbringing, not because it is more wrong than eating any other animal, pet or otherwise.

>

• Toni - Northland
14 years 9 months ago #289481 by Toni - Northland
Replied by Toni - Northland on topic Dog Gone........! Can you understand....

stacey;271514 wrote: I think (and remember this is just my opinion [;)]) that there is a big difference between your examples of animal cruelty and killing a dog humanely to eat. Key word here is "humanely". :)

Donked on the head, then knifed?[xx(]

More
14 years 9 months ago #289485 by Minky2
Just my humble opinion and yes I am probably biased but to me dogs are special in that we are able to form such close partnerships with them perhaps compared to other animals, so I would hate to see dogs farmed for food, I am not sure how you could keep them humanely and contented until they were slaughtered and would hope this 'culture' wouldn't ever become the norm in NZ. If a dog dies and the owner thinks they must eat it I suppose that is ok but I think raising even a single dog merely as food has too much potential for a way less than ideal life for the dog. It's not as though you can just turn them out to graze happily in a paddock. I have had pet lambs so I know they, and no doubt calves and pigs can make lovely friendly intelligent pets as well, but to me it seems you can't do quite as much with them as you can with dogs and horses. I think it is easier to keep the grazing animals/herbivores happy and non stressed (as long as they are farmed responsibly) until the time they are transported away for slaughter. I would never personally eat horsemeat either if they were farmed for consumption, but could very reluctantly concede that at least they could possibly still be 'farmed' humanely, unlike dogs.

More
14 years 9 months ago #289488 by Clods
Did you see on the news, I think last night? SPCA thinking education would help people understand why pets were different. Only they were "educating" children that a pig, was "family" so shouldn't be eaten? How is that helping anyone?

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
14 years 9 months ago #289495 by xevbellringer
In my very unPC opinion - people who eat their pets are only one step away from cannibalism. Pets are part of the family. You start down that path & where does it end? Things get a bit tough, do you start eyeballing the neighbours pets? What do you eat after that? Unwanted relatives & children? Gee - granny's not very useful anymore - I know of one way she could be... But hey - I still gonna pop out more kids!

It's all about respect, or the lack of it for anything other than thyself.

Anyone ever read Collapse by Jared Diamond?

Time to create page: 0.167 seconds