Guernsey calf

More
14 years 8 months ago #19497 by Dr Spock
Guernsey calf was created by Dr Spock
Hi, I'm interested in starting up a small Guernsey herd. Does anyone know of any sources for stock in New Zealand, preferably in the Canterbury Otago areas but would consider further afield.
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288976 by Valmai
Replied by Valmai on topic Guernsey calf
I'm pretty sure there is, or used to be, a Guernsey/Ayrshire dairy herd near the Rakaia river. Perhaps LIC could give you some contacts. (03 344 0470) Now is the time to get them if you are planing on rearing them yourself.

Carbon-based biological unit.

More
14 years 8 months ago #288994 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Guernsey calf
There also used to be a herd of them just south of Invercargill.

More
14 years 8 months ago #289017 by clowder
Replied by clowder on topic Guernsey calf
there's a pure guernsey housecow on trade me. she's up north but might be a good lead on where to find more...

More
14 years 8 months ago #289088 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Guernsey calf
I'm fairly certain that almost every cow in NZ that is called a Jersey is actually a Guernsey. If I'm correct then unless you actually want a herd that can be traced back to Guernsey, you will get the same benefits from a NZ so-called Jersey that you will get from a Guernsey.

More
14 years 8 months ago #289092 by sod
Replied by sod on topic Guernsey calf
Just looked at TM and they say shes from a herd of them in the Waikato

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 8 months ago #289123 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Guernsey calf

I'm fairly certain that almost every cow in NZ that is called a Jersey is actually a Guernsey.

Where do you get that idea from LR?
All the cattle books I've read said the Jersey comes from Jersey-though originally it may have come from France, and the Guernsey, which is larger and more beefy, gives more milk and tends to have more white patches, comes from the other Channel Islands other than Jersey.
The pictures of the two breeds look different and the typical Jersey look of a fine boned fawn to dun animal with usually a black mask and a mealy coloured muzzle looks like a typical NZ Jersey to me even if it is not as small and fine as the original Jerseys.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 8 months ago #289148 by feedqueen
Replied by feedqueen on topic Guernsey calf
Am interested in this question too. What little research I did showed there was not much available. There was one breeder in the South Island but herd has long since been disbanded, so watching this thread with interest :)

More
14 years 8 months ago #289171 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Guernsey calf
Guernsey cows are very different from Jersey cows. They originate from the smaller (and better :p ) of the two main channel Islands. Guernsey cows in their original home are still a closed herd. If you ask any kid from Guernsey to draw a picture of a cow it will be brown and white :) . www.thisisguernsey.co.uk has some links to farming and history of guernsey cows. A lot of the cows in Guernsey are still tethered by the horns on common land (the golf course mainly!). Their owners use a mobile plant to milk them and reap the benefits with no grazing costs. The largest herd on Guernsey itself is around 80 cows. There is one AI technician on the Island who also doubles up as bull castrator and bar manager at the rugby club. :D

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 8 months ago #289245 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Guernsey calf
Sue, I seem to remember my Dad telling me this. He did his vet training in UK, and most of his NZ experience was with dairy cows in the Hauraki area. The colour and size of NZ "Jerseys" were wrong back then and most of them seemed to him to be Guernseys. Also, I think that the port in Jersey is not really large enough to get a reasonable number of cows out to be able to make a herd in NZ. Guernseys port is bigger, I think. I suspect that Jerseys are rather like Dexters and Highlands in NZ - a cow might have a part, but none will be pure.

More
14 years 8 months ago #289255 by ronnie
Replied by ronnie on topic Guernsey calf
Just as an aside to this subject....

When I first started going to the sale yards, there were some lovely ginger coloured calves on offer one day. I asked a friend (who knows a bit about cattle) what breed they were and he told me they were Guernsey and had come from a herd just south of Invers. Needless to say, I bought one and to this day, her name is Guernsey. [:0]
But I suspect she is either a cross or a bad imitation of the breed she is named after as she has more beefy characteristics than dairy and her calves have always been good beefy stock. We now suspect she came from a Limousin or similar breed. But whatever her breed, she is lovely and currently our herd boss cow, which makes life interesting :rolleyes: as she definately has a mind of her own. She is also our resident steeplechaser, when the mood takes her[}:)]

More
14 years 8 months ago #289262 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Guernsey calf
We need Midge on here to talk Jerseys, I think she knows more about them and the original smaller version from the original Jerseys. I don't think the size of the port in Jersey has much to do with what and how many cows in NZ are Jerseys from Jersey.
They were, afterall in mainland UK, when the cattle were first brought out here as live animals, and of course now many of them arrive frozen in liquid nitrogen;-)

I think there is an NZ Jersey stud that has even sold animals back to the Queens famouus Jersey stud at Sandringham they are so well bred.
You only have to '"google" images and look up Guernsey to see that the pure bred Guernsey is a different animal to a Jersey.

NZ's dairy herd Jerseys may now be a different animal altogether to that which was originally imported but this is due to selection pressure and feeding techniques as well as genetic progress.
I got this address from the MAF breeders directory, not sure whether it is still current.
NZ Guernsey Cattle Breeders
C/- Peter Marwood, R D 6, TE AWAMUTU
Phone: 07 824 6646

LR, don't tar all Dexters an Highlands with the same brush!!!
Whilst it is true some have been graded up from different breeds for a number of generations, they still have a register for Full bloods which are descended from imported purebreds and bred with pure bred semen.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 8 months ago #289328 by betenoir
Replied by betenoir on topic Guernsey calf
LR, Guernseys port (St Peter Port) is a lot smaller than Jerseys (St Helier). Guernsey is only 24 square miles big (smaller than a lot of NZ farms!). This is from first hand knowledge[;)](I used to live on Guernsey).
Sue the Jerseys in Jersey are definitely smaller and more 'fine boned' than what I have seen here (and that's quite a few when I was herd testing :) ) I think they might be suffering from the American influence where bigger is better. Both breeds of cow were originally 'house cows'. The Guernseys do have one distinct advantage in that they can be 'maiden milkers'. Production is not as high as a cow that has had a calf but was generally enough to keep a family in milk products.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
11 years 3 months ago #448649 by Taiamai Corker
Replied by Taiamai Corker on topic Guernsey calf
hi there just wondering if you did get hold ofsome guernsy cattle as i my self am looking tobuy some.

many thanks Taiamai

More
11 years 3 months ago #448653 by foufee
Replied by foufee on topic Guernsey calf
try www.guernsey-cattle.co.nz/ they might be able to point you the right way

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds