SPCA .. How long does it take??

More
14 years 8 months ago #19207 by bev
How long does it take the SPCA to act on a phone call about very underweight animals???

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 8 months ago #285190 by ronnie
I guess it would depend on how busy they were, but I would expect that if you rang them today, they would pay a visit tomorrow.

More
14 years 8 months ago #285193 by bev
Replied by bev on topic SPCA .. How long does it take??
I rang them yesterday morning, Ive had a gustful of going past 12 rising 3yr carry over cows that are if they are lucky a CS of 2.
Might give them a ring tomorrow and chase them up.

More
14 years 8 months ago #285195 by 4trees
Bev, In the Manawatu, cases regarding larger animals are usually handed to MAF, who do these inspections. We have an officer of MAF here that handles, horses,cows etc. Maybe that this maybe the case in your area. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
14 years 8 months ago #285198 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic SPCA .. How long does it take??
they may have reacted already and realised the people would be to poor to pay the fine , like all the broke people round here with fighting dogs and malnourished dogs nothing is done

More
14 years 8 months ago #285208 by bev
I was thinking MAF too 4trees.
JEF, i know the farmer, i told the farmer what an embarassment the cows are (with alot of Fwords) , He owns 4 dairy farms, he has money, he just cant be bothered with animals that arent making milk. He is one of the 'locals' that most people are too scared to upset.
Beleive me, if the SPCA has been out, they would have been moved.

More
14 years 8 months ago #285211 by moonshiner
If they are not in calf or barren why hasn't he culled them?

Seems pointless carrying stock through winter that are going to end up as boner cows 'specially as beef is paying reasonably well at the moment

Interesting point though as I have a phone call to make myself tomorrow...

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
14 years 8 months ago #285213 by betenoir
I know they gen get out within hours when they want to. I had a visit when I took on esmeralda the hunchback trademe cow). She was very underweight when I got her and someone was pretty quick on the phone. (good on them because she was in bad condition...shame they didn't feel they could pop in and see what the story was:(). Anyway they were round the same day I brought her home and when they found out the story as to how I ended up with a hunchback runt they were really helpful and occasionally pop in just to see how she is and give her a scratch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] BAAAAAAAAA

More
14 years 8 months ago #285214 by JEF
Replied by JEF on topic SPCA .. How long does it take??

bev;266808 wrote: I was thinking MAF too 4trees.
JEF, i know the farmer, i told the farmer what an embarassment the cows are (with alot of Fwords) , He owns 4 dairy farms, he has money, he just cant be bothered with animals that arent making milk. He is one of the 'locals' that most people are too scared to upset.
Beleive me, if the SPCA has been out, they would have been moved.

youd hope so , i just feel the spca can be very misguided sometimes , ive seen good dairy farmers get picked on for 1 sick cow thats under vet care , yet the cruel practice of inducing calves and letting them freeze to death in pile of live and dead calves stacked 5 high is overlooked and thats something that really cuts me up (edited by Kate) and dont mind when farmers shoot these calves i just dont like to see them suffering, i myself have been picked on by a seriously misguided spca officer who soon learnt my bite is worse than my bark and got the message, i pointed them in the direction of huntly but they werent interested

More
14 years 8 months ago #285216 by Birman Babe
Bev, the SPCA are very slow to move when it comes to farm animals ~ you'd be better off contacting MAF.

More
14 years 8 months ago #285218 by sod
Replied by sod on topic SPCA .. How long does it take??
Know what you mean we brought calf down on transport tray with new mum following then I carried calf to shed next minute spca here to look at sick calf we've got in shed This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.^&*(() over fence rang them not for the first time either :(

Having time is a measure of enthusiasm:rolleyes:

More
14 years 8 months ago #285226 by judes
My advice is to not bother with the SPCA and try some other avenue.When I rang them about underweight pregnant cows they told me they would not look at them. The cows and calves died as well as other animals on the farm involved. I had the same result with 2 other phone calls about sick animals, though they did ring one owner and were told the animals were fine by that owner.

Jude
Don't get your knickers in a knot; it solves nothing and makes you walk funny.

More
14 years 8 months ago #285228 by Dream Weaver
Mate if anyone can sort it, I bet you will lol. Hope you get some action and fast.

More
14 years 8 months ago #285249 by Ronney

moonshiner;266811 wrote: If they are not in calf or barren why hasn't he culled them?
Seems pointless carrying stock through winter that are going to end up as boner cows 'specially as beef is paying reasonably well at the moment
QUOTE]

They are possibly dairy cows rather than beef and it's not uncommon to carry over cows that have returned MT until the following season, particularly if they are good producers or show promise. However, most farmers would also be doing them well to ensure that they did get in calf the following season. And of course, they could well be culls that the farmer just "hasn't got around" to do anything with.

Bev, forget the SPCA and get on to MAF if your seriously concerned. They have a huge workload and very limited staff (what else would you expect from an agricultural country:rolleyes:) but they try to get on to things pretty quickly.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
14 years 8 months ago #285253 by bev
They are dairy cows, He carrys them over, I know the farmer very well, one of his farms neighbours mine.
Will ring MAF today.

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds