A mixed day on the chook front!!!

More
14 years 10 months ago #19082 by HarryPotter
Well I have had a mixed day with a couple of my chooks!

I called into my mothers this morning to drop of a Barnevelder rooster that I purchased yesterday. She came out to tell me that one of the Araucana pullets was dead under the hedge.

Interestingly I had seen the bird on Sunday morning on her own drinking out of a puddle which I thought was a bit unusual. As she walked away I noticed she had a white streak of poop on her fluff around her bum. As I walked towards her she appeared alert and certainly didn't have a characteristic sick chook look.

Where she was found was only a couple of meters from where I last saw her. I inspected her a bit but I could not see anything obvious. The pullet was about five months old. She really did look quite healthy.

The second case that has just finished today by me putting the bird to sleep has been that of an orpington hen of about eight months old. We noticed on Saturday that she was by herself and sluggish in her movements. Her right eye was haklf closed and as she walked she seemed like she was unable to control her right leg. She wasn't dragging it but as it moved forward the toes seemed to curl under without control. She has gone down hill since then and tonight when I went down with my mother to see the hen she was unable to walk and her right wing was not being controlled at all. She had a greenish white runny poop coming out and there was evidence of her having had the same type of poop around her. I decided to end her suffering.

Is this evidence of Mareks Disease? Has anyone got ideas about the Araucana?

On the plus side, I got my first egg from one of the Barnevelders!

Cheers,

HP.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #283230 by beedee
She had bronchitis!!! while you wait for the correct answer from Sue

More
14 years 10 months ago #283231 by Sue
Yes, sounds typical Mareks HP, sorry to say! The other could possibly have been the same, with more acute symptoms, but having said that it could also have been a number of other things, as you well know!
Another thought was the kidney version of Infectious Bronchitis, more prevalent in the winter months. The white poop is due to urates, the bird version of urine, she may have been drinking lots to help the kidneys and not eating.

But on a happier note-congrats on your first egg!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 10 months ago #283232 by Sue
Hey BD, you were reading as I wrote!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 10 months ago #283235 by HarryPotter
Would there have been other symptoms with the bronchitis? Thanks Sue and BeeDee.

Sharing the pad with Harry the Australian Terrorist, Penny the Bearded Collie, Bev the Schnauzer/beardie and her daughters Nellie and Charlotte. (Dad was a Hungarian Vizsla) + lots of chooks. [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 10 months ago #283251 by beedee
yes they sneeze.. or cough.. but otherwise seem well tho the other hens will peck if she is really unwell..... how did I know ...well back in the 70's the kindergarten rooster was unwell and by the fri gasping so I took him home and gave him vicks vapour inhalations every 4 hrs ... and maybe 0.1ml of paed pamol.. he after all was dying.. and on the mon returned a very well rooster.. he had the white poops so got a hot bath on the sun...and hair drier or is that feather drier treatment..... thats when I got strange looks from my daughters peers for ever more, those 4 yr olds considered me a witch...
amazing we posted on the same minute!!!! Sue, nuffink worse than being second and having done a big long post to have it all pointed out the minute before..

More
14 years 10 months ago #283357 by Sue
HP, IB can occur in a number of different forms according to the age of the bird, the severity of the disease and yes, NZ has its very own strain of Infectous Bronchitis!

If you look it up on the Merck vet website or this site
www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/78/infectious-bronchitis-ib
www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/80/in...nchitis-ib-egglayers

you can see there is the form that BD described where it is a gurgly cough, and runny eyes and nose, there can be the kidney version where the only symptoms can be runny white poo, and the version which causes hens to lay wrinkly, ridged and misshapen eggs with runny whites.

Sue

More
14 years 10 months ago #283368 by Cinsara
Interesting HP, my orpingtons are all white butt'd at the moment and two of them have obvious respiratory probs, mind you if they would sleep under cover it may help! My vet gave me a pottle of antibiotic powder which I am going to put in their water. Can't remember off hand what it's called but I have had tetravet in the past and didn't like it so this is another type.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 10 months ago #283583 by HarryPotter
That is interesting Cinsara. I would be interested to see where you got your orpingtons from because the ones that Mum bought about seven months ago have on and off white pooy bums. Three that were replaced because their flock mates were roosters came with gurgly rattly coughs. They have recovered but one of the orpingtons was one I put to sleep yesterday suffering from Mareks.

The two recent losses have made me a bit paranoid and I have been looking up the arse end of my chooks a little more intently than would be described as normal!! :D

More
14 years 10 months ago #283628 by tonic
sorry to hear about your chooks harrypotter. i pm'd you the other day, did you get it?

More
14 years 10 months ago #283630 by HarryPotter

tonic;265037 wrote: sorry to hear about your chooks harrypotter. i pm'd you the other day, did you get it?

Oooops I have now...I will reply hopefully tomorrow. I never look in that corner of the website.[:0]

More
14 years 10 months ago #283710 by Cinsara
I hatched my orps HP alongside Wyandottes and BR's and they are the only ones rattling. I had Mareks this year too for the first time ever but that affected 2 orps, 1 BR and 2 GLW so no connection there. Maybe Orps are predisposed to respiratory issues? The antibiotic powder my vet gave me was Neomix concentrate what ever that is.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 9 months ago #293494 by Jenny
Is Mareks always fatal. I have a 4 month old buff orpington rooster that has, I suspect, from what I have read is Mareks disease and a vet that was out today agreed that was probably it. I have had chooks here for over ten years and never had anything like this before. He is from some eggs I got in to hatch.

He seems to be partly paralysed on one side and walks rather ungainly but as he still manages to get around and eats well he hasn't been pts yet. I have actually gone out a couple of times with axe in hand but those times I couldn't catch him !!! I know i will have to do the deed but its not easy :(

He doesn't seem to be getting worse but not getting better either. Is it possible to recover from it? Is he going to spread this disease around? Is there anything I can do to stop the others catching it?

Jenny
Waikato

More
14 years 9 months ago #293505 by Simkin
Hi Jenny,

Marek's is not always fatal - I had one pullet who recovered from the skin form a couple of years ago. However, Marek's is almost always fatal. If you haven't had any cases before you've been lucky because it seems your chooks had natural immunity. You never know what you bring in if you purchase fertile eggs from somewhere.

Marek's disease is everywhere and more than likely your other chooks have got immunity to it. If your rooster looks bright and is eating and drinking there is no reason why you can't leave him for a while to see how he gets on.

More
14 years 9 months ago #293538 by Sue
Jenny, The form of Mareks that causes the birds to appear paralysed used to be known as Range Paralysis, until they worked out it was caused by a virus related to the Herpes family. Mortality is said to be around 25% of those affected.
Often the death is due to the birds ability to eat and drink and so it starves to death.

Some strains/blood groups are more susceptible than others, but the disease is everywhere and it may be that your birds have had Mareks and are now immune, but shed the virus so that when you buy in eggs to hatch, or chicks, from a susceptible strain they catch it from your birds through contact with feather dander and dust, especially if you put the eggs/chicks under a broody hen.

The disease has an incubation period of several months so will not show up till the birds are 15 to 25 weeks old. Then although all the batch may have been affected, around a quarter of them will show symptoms and die.

Older birds don't catch Mareks-they get it in the first couple of weeks of life and develop symptoms later.

Sue

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds