How to stop a young cat peeing in the wardrobe

More
14 years 9 months ago #276861 by JEF
my dog would lie on the seat on the deck and chew on it , i threaded some 5 amp fuse wire thru the fabric and hooked it up to the electric fence and earth , he jumped on it got a hell of a wack and would not go near that seat again even if you put a steak and sausages on it , put a strip grazer in the cupboard that might sort him

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 9 months ago #277017 by max2
Sorry to ask, but do you have a clean litter tray available to him 24/7?

I brought our 2 cats across from aussie and recently was asked how they were going and if they were weeing everywhere.
Turns out the person asking didn't have a litter tray and expected her cat to jump out mid-night from a 1 1/2 storey window to do its business and then come back...

More
14 years 9 months ago #277079 by moggy
he had a litter tray and seemed to be house trained, he has a cat door and free access to it. He is not peeing where the litter tray used to be (next to the cat flap) which i could sort of understand.
However the savlon seems to be working, he really hates the smell of it, even though it was cold last night he would not even come into the bredroom

More
14 years 9 months ago #277091 by znt26
I have been told Rue the herb is good for making dogs & cats avoide certain areas. I just bought 2 plants to put near my veg garden. Maybe you could plant one in an indoor planter?

Downsized to a 1600 m2 town section + a very cheap rented 2 acre paddock!
1 Parsons Jack Russel - Phantom
1 Border terrier - Ruby
1 cat - Pip
1 chook - SPCA
2 highland cross beefies - Griffin & Knife & fork!

More
14 years 9 months ago #277129 by moggy
rue sounds like a good idea. I love the herb and was about to include some in my order to kings seeds anyway. The bedroom is sadly lacking in plants.

More
14 years 9 months ago #277281 by jen
Ohh.. .stink! You sure you want your wardrobe to smell of rue? Outside is one thing but inside???

Sounds to me like the poor wee cat has been traumatised enough by having his nose rubbed in chemicals to not go back there any more.

Personally, I think rubbing his nose in it is a little on the cruel side and is nothing but an old wives tale, they don't actually understand that it means don't go there.

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 9 months ago #277410 by Ghilly
The vet nurse told me not to use ammonia based products. There is ammonia in their pee and it doesn't stop them, rather, it encourages them.

I'd go along with putting his/her dinner in there for a few days.

Other than that, try the other deterrent methods mentioned. Sometimes a wad of cotton wool, soaked in whatever the cat doesn't like the smell of and put into an open container so the smell gets out but the cotton wool isn't on the carpet. I used a product called 'Nil Odour' when I worked in a school library, it was great! Killed the smell of stinky shoes and other nasty smells kids make. Cooor sometimes I could have done with an oxygen mask, especially after playtimes and lunchtime. Nil odour worked! It might even stop puss going in there. It only takes a few drops to make the smell go. Just a few drops on cotton wool in a plastic cup.

Yakut

Time to create page: 0.131 seconds