Naughty cat - what would you do?

More
14 years 10 months ago #18607 by sarah lou
We have a beautiful looking silver tabby who we've had since he was a kitten five years ago. Two years ago we got another cat, a soft, floppy black and white cat who my children absolutely adored. After being stalked by the grey tabby, they were amazed to discover that cats can be soft and cuddly not just spiky and scratchy.

Well, last year we renovated, and the grey cat managed to scare Mischief away. Having not seen her since October, we assumed she'd gone for good. Hah, no she's back and we were all soooo pleased to see the wee darling, a bit light but none the worse for wear. Casper, however has a different opinion and is out to get her. He attacked her this morning and the poor wee thing was so scared she pooed and peed herself while trying to get away! So at the moment we have to lock them in separate rooms in order to keep the peace, which is all very well in winter but we can't live like that in summer.

I'm thinking that there's only room in this house for one of these cats (the soft cuddly one, not the child stalker!). What do I do? How do I go about rehoming a cat who at the best of times is a good ratter, but is very very territorial, and aggressive towards other cats and sometimes towards children? He's okay with our labrador, but only because she's very relaxed and doesn't mind tooo much when he wraps himself round her bottom when she reenters the property! My children of 10 and 7 won't walk past him in the hallway, but ask me to call him so he'll move!

Help, any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 10 months ago #275954 by cowvet
there are amazing behaviour modification drugs on the market - and not just for humans. There are options for making him a bit more laid back and easy going!

Another option would be the water pistol discipline technique - but for any aversive technique like this it should be used properly and appropriately so that the cat learns not to do certain things rather than become even more psycho due to open slather water warfare.

I love animals...they're delicious

More
14 years 10 months ago #275956 by Pumpkingirl
Clomicalm worked on one of my cats (cat prozac) and I know people who've had success with the Feliway odour products (you can't smell it), although we had too many cats to know if that one worked for us or not!

Have also seen the water pistol technique in action and it's very effective as long as it's done when the bad behaviour is occurring, so you might need to set up an encounter.

If Mishchief has only been back a few days, you need to give them both some time. It can take weeks for cats to get "used" to a situation again, and if it were me, I would be keeping Mischief locked up and only out when you are there, so you can introduce her to the house again slowly, and reprimand Casper when needed.

More
14 years 10 months ago #275959 by kate
Have you tried Feliway? It's a pheromone that is meant to calm them down and it worked with our cats when Max and the kittens were having problems. You should be able to get it from your vet.

Click here for more information

Cheers
Kate

Web Goddess

More
14 years 10 months ago #275961 by Cinsara
I have a bully and two of my cats are timid and are terrified of him. He was last on the scene and I only took him in as his owner has/had terminal cancer but he really is a pain of the first order. I have to keep him away from the timid ones at all times and it's not easy. Maybe you could advertise him on TM as an "only cat" suitable for a child free home. A lot of people don't have kids and prefer a bully cat so it will keep other cats off the property. Chap here at work was going to take mine as he wanted an adult cat and it was a bonus that he's a bully as the neighbourhood cats use his place as the local WC but his girlfriend said no and she doesn't even flaming live there!

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 10 months ago #275970 by Seaside
I take it Casper has been fixed? If not, then that would be a step in the right direction.

The drug solution sounds interesting, but I've no experience with that.

Could Casper be an outdoor cat, if you have somewhere warm for him (our older cat lives, by choice as we have a cat flap, mostly in the hay barn because she hates the kittens who would love to love her)?

If all else fails, try the Cat Protection League or your nearest equivalent. They put a lot of effort into finding the right home for a cats' personality, and they don't put cats down.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
14 years 10 months ago #275974 by Cinsara
Other side of the coin is a cat version of valium that can be used in extreme cases - it would be to calm the timid one down.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
14 years 10 months ago #275987 by muletide

Cinsara;256514 wrote: I have a bully and two of my cats are timid and are terrified of him. He was last on the scene and I only took him in as his owner has/had terminal cancer but he really is a pain of the first order. I have to keep him away from the timid ones at all times and it's not easy. Maybe you could advertise him on TM as an "only cat" suitable for a child free home. A lot of people don't have kids and prefer a bully cat so it will keep other cats off the property. Chap here at work was going to take mine as he wanted an adult cat and it was a bonus that he's a bully as the neighbourhood cats use his place as the local WC but his girlfriend said no and she doesn't even flaming live there!

I had a similar problem when I took in the beautiful Dosu. One of my exixting cats left home 3 times and I thought I had lost her, and the other got very sick and almost died (urinary problem) I found a good 1 cat home for Dosu and luckliy keep the other two and both are still doing fine.

Though I loved Dosu the other two I had had much longer and I had to put their needs and well being first. I still miss Dosu and as far as I know he is still doing well in his new home.

Life is about the journey, not the destination

CHB

More
14 years 10 months ago #275988 by sarah lou
Thanks guys,

I hadn't even thought about drugs to modify his behaviour! At the moment Mischief is in one end of the house with her litter box and access to the bedrooms and the troublemaker is in the other end if he behaves. He's even considering spraying so I have to keep a close eye, and yes, he is fixed and Mischief is as well. I'll give it some time to see if things settle, but will definitely have a chat with the vet about medicating the psychotic behaviour if it continues.

More
14 years 10 months ago #275990 by Inger
To be quite honest, I would have the grumpy, nasty cat put down. Rehoming him is just moving the problem on. Its the same with a ram that's gone bad. Do we really need them? Don't feel guilty about it. He's ruining the peace in your house and the kids shouldn't have to live in fear of him.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
14 years 10 months ago #275993 by sarah lou
Yes, I have had that conversation with myself, but it would have to be a last resort. He can be quite nice, he just needs to go to a home with no kids where he can be the only cat/child.

The advert would go something like: Goodlooking 5 year old gelded grey tabby. Not a beginners cat but would suit teenager looking at moving on to tigers!

More
14 years 10 months ago #276006 by kaybe
What a coincidence, I used to have a sweet B&W cat called Mischief... she was my soul-cat, and I had her for 15 years until I lost her to a human predator :( . For a long time she visited me in dreams...

I would also consider making the mean kitty a permanent outdoor cat!

Tomorrow is the day I will stop procrastinating.

More
14 years 10 months ago #276046 by Pumpkingirl

sarah lou;256550 wrote: Yes, I have had that conversation with myself, but it would have to be a last resort.

I had several years of a cat spraying all over the house and it was the most frustrating and upsetting experience, the stress of coming home and wondering what I was going to find was terrible.

However, now he has been removed from the problem (my mother's cat) and is living with his brothers here at my place, he's never sprayed again.

I would think obviously Casper is not coping with the stress of another cat being in his vicinity and he's quite a personality from what you've described.

That's where Clomicalm can be excellent (and Feliway wouldn't hurt either).. the longer you leave it, the worse and more ingrained the behaviour so if you're going to take that route, you need to do it as soon as possible. When my cat had it a few years ago, it was about $30 a month for the clomicalm.

Otherwise find him a new home where there are no other cats. It would be a shame to put him down just because his nature is to be the one and only cat.

Good luck, I know the strain this kind of thing can cause and I really feel for you. It's why I'm not getting any more cats until my boys have gone.

More
14 years 10 months ago #276054 by oskatd
Line him up in the headlights of the new Ute?

More
14 years 10 months ago #276206 by bridgierapa
If you don't like the tom, take him to the vet and get him put down. He won't know it's not a worm injection till he's dead, and he's a cat, after all, not a person.... Plus I think it sends a good message to the kids!

(um, tell them he got run over if they're sensitive, extrapolative little people or they will be too scared to eat your cooking from now on! rofl)

Otherwise, lock them in separate rooms and reintroduce them slowly.

But really: life's too short to have pets you don't like. And nobody else is going to want your rejects (or that's the way I see it) so may as well get the job done. A nasty cat is a nasty cat and they are not an endangered species.

Hope I didn't just lose friends and influence people here....

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds