rat problem

More
14 years 11 months ago #18229 by kathken
rat problem was created by kathken
we've got a rat problem at the moment.

they are coming into the attic cupboard. poos on the hot water tank. every time we set the trap - we catch a rat. we set it every 2 or 3 days, sometimes every day.

but i was wondering, by setting the trap with cheese and peanut butter, are we actually attracting them in, or would that many be coming in anyway.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #270617 by L Plates
Replied by L Plates on topic rat problem
I am not a rat expert by any means but I would not have thought you were attracting them in with bait. I think they are only coming in for the warmth.

Personally I would be trying to find out how and where they are getting in and try to block their entry.

LP

Tyke Dorpers

More
14 years 11 months ago #270618 by Xartep
Replied by Xartep on topic rat problem
Oh No...

You know what they say, where there is one seen, there are ten unseen. Not reassuring I know. Keep trapping I say.

Our neighbors had to trap and bait for a year before they got their problem under control. Then they had to collect all the corpses and burn them. Not fun. Theirs was a particularly bad situation though, but it often happens in the country, especially if the house has been empty for a while, or the previous owners/tenants had unfortunate habits.

As they carry disease, you want to keep the population down as best you can.

Even with three adult cats we still see the odd one.

I hate rats... YUK!!

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 11 months ago #270621 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic rat problem
ok, well i'm glad we are not attracting more, we'll just keep trapping. in the meantime, hubby has been trying to see where they might be getting in, there are quite a few possibilites, so we'll have to work on that. this attic cupboard is part of the roof space (obviously hehe), we have cathedral ceilings in most of the 2 story house, and this particular part/cupboard is not lined with gib, and is on the second storey where the lower level roof and the second level wall are if that makes sense. had the odd rat up there before over the last 10 years, but this year seems really particularly bad.

obviously the 2 cats are not doing their job properly but they are pretty good at hunting. although in saying that one of them brought in a live rat yesterday morning. i had to catch and dispose of it. ewwww.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 11 months ago #270624 by Xartep
Suck the live ones up with the vacuum...
It works - they squirm around on the end of the pipe and you just take the vacuum outside (still on of course) and have someone fast waiting with a spade to "catch" it when you flick the off switch. :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 11 months ago #270626 by kathken
Replied by kathken on topic rat problem
classic xartep.....that's funny.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 11 months ago #270633 by Xartep
Yeah the visual imagery is impressive isn't it...

More
14 years 11 months ago #270637 by Huggiechook
Replied by Huggiechook on topic rat problem
of course you could also try poisoning them but while more efficient the consequence of that would be that they die in their hidey holes and then de-compose there [xx(]
I guess if you are catching that many with one trap - I would start setting several at once [;)] - keep killing them - they will run out of bodies eventually

Quarter Acre with Veggie Garden, Fruit trees, Berry bushes, Chicken run, Mushroom farm, Playground - and yes I manage to live there too [;)]

More
14 years 11 months ago #270659 by MikeCollett
Replied by MikeCollett on topic rat problem
the buggers can chew thru just about anything.
we had one trying to come thru the wall a couple of weeks ago. I knew there were no wires there, so tunred off all the lights and stood there with a dim torch until i thought i knew exactly where he was inside the wall from where his nose was coming thru the hole he was making. I then slammed a long, thin sharp knife thru the gib. Im pretty sure I missed but do know it must have had a hell of a fright as it hasnt been back since.
another time I found some in the chicken coop, so got a 44 gallon drum in the coop and put some of the boys in it with an air rifle, and put over trousers on with the legs taped up, went in the coop, blocked all the exits and lifted all the hidey stuff off the ground. then followed a cool calm practical instruction on how to correctly shoot rats with a slug gun. i couldnt have asked for a better envorinment to start teaching the boys to hunt.
so i suppose rats do have have an educational value. they also are the genesis of a good many stories :-)
since then i am waging chemical warfare on them and am fairly certain have got the upper hand finally.

I don't mind fishing in the rain, fish are already wet...

More
14 years 11 months ago #270661 by L Plates
Replied by L Plates on topic rat problem
I would never have thought about sucking them up in the vaccum [}:)] but knowing my luck I would not have enough flex to get the vac outside before switching it off. [:0]

And it would be no good relying on the cat to get it when I switch the vac off because she scarpers when I put the vac on.

However she is quite good at catching rats and mice despite her handicap. She walked out of the shed yesterday with a rat in a trap in her mouth - even though thats cheating she looked quite pleased with herself.[^]

Huggiechook is right - maybe you should set several traps and work on sealing all entry points. You just have to keep up the good fight.

LP

Tyke Dorpers

More
14 years 11 months ago #270663 by Xartep
[}:)]A good trick if you put bait out is to leave some 1/2 full 20litre buckets around in places the rats can get to then ie next to a fence, under the overhang of the dog kennel. The bait makes them thirsty, they fall in the bucket and can't get out and drown. YEAH!

More
14 years 11 months ago #270664 by Xartep
We had them in the chook house once too. Hubby went in and started digging and I stood on the outside with a sharp spade, and a very excited Cocker Spaniel. It was lots of fun, killed several rats and destroyed their nest. I don't recommend the Cocker Spaniel bit though, she just got in the way. :D
It was like a horror movie watching them explode from the ground when Hubby "hit the spot". [:0][;)]

More
14 years 11 months ago #270669 by jen
Replied by jen on topic rat problem
I think I've seen trap that can catch more then one at a time before they need resetting. Saw them at Mitre 10 (lthink it was something like multiple chambers or something)

jen (returned to townie life)
community.webshots.com/user/j_nepton

More
14 years 11 months ago #270695 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic rat problem
The rats KNOW winter is here! We've got the same problem in the same space (hot water tank cupboard) except last night they were on the kitchen bench (where there is nothing to eat except a jar of instant coffee)!!!!! That is until the Schnauzers got schnauzing.... they went mental around midnight last night. Poison and traps are out.

Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 11 months ago #270705 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic rat problem
I can't be bothered with the vacuum, In the past I've just grabbed them with clean hands, sure you bleed for a bit, but pulling their heads off is a quick and effective means of dealing with live rats.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

Time to create page: 0.146 seconds