Rotten haylage

More
14 years 11 months ago #17938 by oskatd
Rotten haylage was created by oskatd
I bought some small bales of haylage and several of them are rotten, that is they are black and absolutely stink[xx(] - rather than moderately stink like the good ones[}:)][;)]. The cows won't touch the stuff, and neither should they, especially Lucy if she's in calf.... The contractor is a top notch bloke, and has agreed to exchange them or whatever, his products are usually excellent. So what has gone wrong? There are no holes in the wrap. The good one had some white mould, but nothing to worry about. I understand the black stuff can be botulism?[:0] Was just wondering why this would happen? They are so expensive to produce and buy.....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• maggies mum
14 years 11 months ago #266521 by maggies mum
Replied by maggies mum on topic Rotten haylage
When ours turned out like that, we were told probably baled too wet!

We've not bothered with it this year, it's too hit and miss whether it's going to be any good.

At least your fella is going to replace it.

More
14 years 10 months ago #269432 by Jeffro
Replied by Jeffro on topic Rotten haylage
I agree with Maggies mum, too wet when baled. You need a certain amount for fermentation, but too much is no good.
have a read here... www.baletrader.co.nz bale FAQ

Homegrown means you know what goes in.
Rather have butter on my spuds than roundup!

More
14 years 10 months ago #269560 by MikeCollett
Replied by MikeCollett on topic Rotten haylage
got some good compost there...

I don't mind fishing in the rain, fish are already wet...

More
14 years 10 months ago #269566 by oskatd
Replied by oskatd on topic Rotten haylage
Yep, and the stench goes away once it's out in the open for a day or three!

More
14 years 10 months ago #269606 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Rotten haylage
The one I saved from last year for this autumn has also rotted.. and no holes there either.. I will use it in the vege gardens just leaving it open for now to reduce in size.. a right pain in the butt. I had thought they would last 18mth in that wrap..
Glad to hear the contractor will replace.. think of all the veges you will get, and stuff it into sacks and then plant spuds and pumpkin into those sacks and you will get a good crop. I did that with old hay bales

More
14 years 10 months ago #269837 by jeannielea
Replied by jeannielea on topic Rotten haylage
Beedee, how many layers of wrap did yours have? I'm convinced that if too few are used they go mouldy quite quickly - last year we opened some left from 2 winters before and it was still like new, but other stuff (which I could see through the plastic), was black before opening.

Time to create page: 0.129 seconds