How to gut a chicken?

More
14 years 11 months ago #17892 by 4MyStandys
We know the basic principle - cut round the vent, reach in and pull everything out...

But the OH, having successfully killed, plucked and gutted a chook for the first time, was wondering if there was an easier way or some "knack" that he wasn't doing that would make it all go that bit faster/better.

On analysis of the carcass I found he hadn't removed the lungs or airsacs. Is there a way of doing this during the gutting process without opening the bird right up or are they normally left in? They were pretty well adhered to the ribcage.

This was an older hen, about 18 months old, that had to be dispatched due a broken leg. I'm wondering if that had a bearing on the ease or otherwise of the gutting process. There wasn't a great deal of meat on her bones but she did a meal and helped boost a soup pot too.

Any tips/tricks or magic I could pass onto him for next time?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #265680 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic How to gut a chicken?
Well you can get the lungs out if you put in a finger and sort of scrape it down the rib cage and the lungs usually come out in a couple of scrapes! You don't bother about air sacs, they are so thin and membrane like you never notice them.

When you make the cut around the vent, sort of make it large enough to get a hand in to scoop the contents out.

If the meat is as little as you say, why not just cut off the legs and slice the breast meat off the rib cage as two pieces and then you don't need to gut!

Here is a link to some photos and descriptions on home processing poultry!

www.freetimesw.com/blueoakranch/pastured...rocessingphotos4.htm

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
14 years 11 months ago #265717 by 4MyStandys
Replied by 4MyStandys on topic How to gut a chicken?
Well that would have solved a lot of problems ;-) Didn't think of that! LOL.

Might do that next time if another of the hens has to go.

Chook vs horse (we think) in this case - the horse won.

Thanks for that link, will send the OH off to have a peruse.

Next one's will be barred rock roosters, so VASTLY more to them than the hens, so will definately need to gut them - best get a-reading sooner rather than later ;-)

More
14 years 11 months ago #265774 by poaka
Replied by poaka on topic How to gut a chicken?
Try dis might help , one of my bookmarks
butcherachicken.blogspot.com/

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

More
14 years 11 months ago #266118 by Jo-Otago
Replied by Jo-Otago on topic How to gut a chicken?
That's a great site poaka, I used it when we did a couple of roos last year and it's sooo helpful! :)
Ooh Sue I hadn't seen the one you posted - that looks great too! I shall check that one out in more detail...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 11 months ago #266581 by Sveppi
Replied by Sveppi on topic How to gut a chicken?
Practice [;)]....my first effort looked like road kill !! About 20 birds later it sort of looked like it may have come from a supermarket

Oh and "cut carefully around the vent" - does not mean key hole surgery! It has to be a bigish hole :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #267577 by 4MyStandys
Replied by 4MyStandys on topic How to gut a chicken?
The Barred Rock Rooster Rocked! Gosh he was nice. I don't think we left him long enough (24 hours in the fridge) to complete rigor mortis so he wasn't quite as tender as we expected but he was much better than the hen and only cooked for 2 hours.

He weighed 2kg carcass weight. Which I think is quite a decent showing.

The plucking was made 1000 times easier thanks to U-Tube - people have been making chicken pluckers forever it seems and they've got lots of videos of them using them.

The OH made one in a jiffy.

The gutting went easier too, much bigger cavity so vastly easier. Still didn't get the lungs out but it wasn't a problem, I just peeled them off when it came time to divvy up the carcass afterwards for leftover chicken salad.

He fed 5 adults - 3 dinners and 2 big lunches.

Very pleased with ourselves ;-)

Time to create page: 0.127 seconds