Swine flu warning - be careful if you own pigs

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266367 by xevbellringer
So this thread should really be named "Swine flu warning - be careful of Egyptian visitors if you own pigs" :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266369 by Clods
Has only been found in people and not in pigs at all, so why call it swine flu in the first place?!

2 horses, 15 Chickens, 1 goat, 2 pigs, 1 cat

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266384 by Ronney

Clods;245953 wrote: Has only been found in people and not in pigs at all, so why call it swine flu in the first place?!

Clods, this is part of a post on page 2, post no. 45. There has always been a human form of swine flu that has nothing at all to do with pigs. Sue's answer clarifies the matter I think.

Swine Influenza in pigs has been around for as long as pigs have been around and although characterized by the same symtoms as human "swine flu", which has also been around for a very long time, they are not the same. This is what concerns me about all this media and hyp. Is this "Swine Flu" something that has jumped the animal/human barrier or is it a more virulent form of the human swine flu. And as a matter of interest, I have not yet heard one person say that there is a human form of swine flu that has nothing to do with pigs.

and Sue's answer to this:

Ronney I read somewhere that people are now suggesting it should be called Mexican flu, as this is not the same strain that affects pigs, as it has mutated/combined with a human flu and created a new version.

Does that help?

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266388 by sundaysbest
I have a flu :( Or a cold at least........... :(
Drippy nose and headachey........ :(
Sundays

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266389 by Pumpkingirl
NZ Pork , in their notice to pig owners and commercial breeders, are saying there is a small but real risk that this flu could mutate and change back from a human flu to a pig flu... so they must have reason to think that.

Again, the risk must be miniscule (as NZ Pork say themselves) and I'm not trying to alarm anyone here, just passing on information that they think there may be a risk.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266394 by bev
actually this is one good thing to come of this, it will help stopping the import of 'raw' pork products.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266395 by Simkin
Being informed is the most important thing of all. Nothing worse than not knowing what's going on.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266400 by Seaside

Ronney;245969 wrote: Is this "Swine Flu" something that has jumped the animal/human barrier or is it a more virulent form of the human swine flu. And as a matter of interest, I have not yet heard one person say that there is a human form of swine flu that has nothing to do with pigs.

Here ya go, from the lead story on Stuff:

It is a never-before-seen mix of swine, avian and human viruses and it is not clear how deadly it is or how easily it transmits from one person to another.
www.stuff.co.nz/world/swine-flu/2373714/...ine-flu-cases-at-104

Probably raises more questions than it answers.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266429 by NZ Appaloosas

Simkin;245820 wrote: Yep, thanks, I was being a bit sarcastic:rolleyes:

Ahh, okay.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266442 by Sue
Here is a link to a world wide site that has plenty on the Swine/Mexican flu
www.thepigsite.com/categories/28/swine-flu

I was just surfing the Poultry Site, a close relation of the Pig site, as I had a feeling that Avian flu, also known as fowl plague, was an H1N1 strain as well, and it was the mutated form , H5N1 that caused the 'Bird flu scare-but I didn't find it!

I know that Australia has had Avian flu outbreaks in the past, but they were not the H5N1 strains.
Here is an updated Avian flu link from The Poultry site for anyone interested to see how its going! www.thepoultrysite.com/bird-flu/bird-flu-news.php

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266447 by poaka
Poor pigs if we reinfect them

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266576 by poaka
ohh. they've renamed it ..Not to be called Swine flu or Mexican Flu or American flu.The pig relationship is tenuous evidently.. And those Egyptians slaughter their porkers

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
plus 3 pig dogs

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266578 by moggy
so what is it to be called then?

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266614 by moggy
Well our staff members are out of quarentine, none had caught it.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266622 by poaka
A H1N1...looks like the pigs got a bad rap seems to be a variant with a bit of everything

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
plus 3 pig dogs

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds