Swine flu warning - be careful if you own pigs

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266192 by reggit

Seaside;245767 wrote: Without wanting to topple off the fence that I'm sitting on, I would imagine the official confirmed dead and infected is so low right now because they are waiting for the lab results for most of the 'suspected' cases.

WHO is saying that it is only 7 because that is how many they themselves have confirmed. Imagine that samples from all 100+ haven't been sent to them, but if they were all showing the same symptoms...unless there is another virulent flu out there at the same time...? :rolleyes:[}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266193 by NZ Appaloosas
Hot tea with lemon and honey, Seaside...works wonders for sore throats.

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266203 by Stu_R
:) Nz Appies specially with a double brandy in it :) :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266243 by Simkin

NZ Appaloosas;245761 wrote: Simkin, I was watching Fox News this AM, and they had this guy on who was involved with the flu pandemic that swept the US in 1976 (we were in the Middle East then, so missed the "excitement"). He said that basically, with 100 reported dead, the actual sick number would be in the 10s of thousands rather than the 1000 being reported.

Diane

Yep, thanks, I was being a bit sarcastic:rolleyes:

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266254 by beedee
Simkin, paracetamol only relieves the symptoms and actually makes the life of the virus last longer as the body temp doesnt kill the virus if kept at a respectable level.. most viruses dont like to be around over 38.8 so to allow the body to reach the 39.0c for up to 8hrs is actually killing off the virus and stops the spread.. obviously the young child needs monitoring that it doesnt go over 39.5 or dehydration occurs. etc etc. and prior problems like epilepsy, asthma and febrile seizures, need extra care

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266255 by moggy

Simkin;245758 wrote:

22 million people live in Mexico City. As you already have calculated, 1000 infected people are 0.000045% of the population. The chance of meeting one of these 1000 infected people in a city of 22 million is 1 in 22 000. Yet, these 10 Rangitoto students have all been infected while they were in Mexico City. Bad luck? Maybe.

As they were travelling in a group, not so surprising really, all it would take would be for one infected and a big group hug before they headed home or all of them to meet one infected person. I would doubt that they became infected from individual sources.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266268 by Inger
The reason why so many Mexicans have died of the Swine Flu, but not many of those with the desease, have died in other countries, could be because Mexico City has a huge population (20 million), maybe more of them have compromised immune systems due to prior health conditions or poor nutrition. Also, its possible that those leaving Mexico and flying home, have less virulent versions of the Flu.

I don't think we have anything to worry about. Taking sensible precautions is a good idea, but I wouldn't go overboard at this stage. Isolating those who are infected and treating them with Tamiflu is sensible. They seem to have gotten over it within a few days.

The NZer who lives in Mexico and got sick with Swine Flu, must have got hit with the worst of it, as he was in hospital for quite a few days. He didn't start feeling better until 10 days later. So it can be a nasty flu, but it seems that not everyone gets hit as bad as others.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266272 by Andrea1
Also the air pollution level in Mexico City is something extraordinary. When we were last there, which was quite a few years ago now, I remember the papers reporting at the time that the daily air pollution that people experienced was something like smoking 2 packs of cigarettes a day. That can't be helping things any.

Andrea
Oxford

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266278 by Inger
[xx(] Yes you're right Andrea. I remember seeing a programe which gave some horrible stats about how many people there died from illnesses caused or worsened by smog inhalation.

Hong Kong must surely be a runner up these days and Los Angles can't be far behind. [B)]

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266289 by bev
i see Egypt has ordered the slaughter of all pig herds.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266296 by reggit
Interesting aspect:

www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cf...=2&objectid=10569452

Let's see what they find out about this.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266321 by bev
All i can say is what a load of media hype, i just got off phone to one of my best mates, she is a hostess for Air NZ, has been for 10 years, same with her hubby. Very interesting to hear that side to say the least.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266353 by Inger
The problem that the Health Authorities have is that the mild versions of a virus can mutate into a more virulent type and then they've got problems. Its really a case of wait and see, then react appropriately once the situation changes. No one has a crystal ball to see where the Flu is going, number of deaths wise. Its a matter of watching things unfold. Though if I were a health worker, I'd be getting Flu shots to get my immune system geared up for the possibilty.

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266358 by lady yank
The CDC is developing a vaccine for this flu, but it takes 4 to 6 months. Current flu vaccines do nothing to prevent this illness. I needed to go the store today to purchase hand soap. While I was there, I decided to purchase hand sanitizer. Sometimes I am not where I can wash my hands. The store was sold out of sanitizer and masks. They don't expect another shipment for 3 months.

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!

More
15 years 2 weeks ago #266365 by Yo Man
Ah, you may find that if you have had the flu vaccine this year, which contains strain of Flu A, which "swine" flu (stupid name now, doing much damage to pork industry) is also a strain of flu A, it may offer you some protection. There is little if no chance of the virus cross infecting back to pigs, as far as I am aware.

Time to create page: 0.159 seconds