Swine flu warning - be careful if you own pigs

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266038 by moonshiner

I was a bit of a pig over dinner and I've just started sneezing. I've said Mexico quite a lot today. Am I in danger?

Is your tail starting to go curly?

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266040 by lady yank
What is alarming some doctors is the fact that young people are among the fatalities. Some have speculated that it is due to the exaggerated immune response in these youngsters.

Don't make me release the flying monkeys!

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266058 by Sue
Ronney I read somewhere that people are now suggesting it should be called Mexican flu, as this is not the same strain that affects pigs, as it has mutated/combined with a human flu and created a new version.

I think the NZ pig producers might be quite relieved that this has come at an opportune time when MAF were considereing lifting import restrictions on uncooked pork from places such as North America-including USA, Canada and Mexico. The pig producers worry is about a pig disease PRRS being imported-but this latest hype may be a blessing in disguise!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266064 by beedee
Tiggs, I dont see an answer to your query about washing hands before eating.Yes the droplets can land anywhere and if one member of the family was to smear vegemite onto their hands and then carry on their daily chores you would be amazed at where those hands go, also the droplets land on surfaces.. its the direct contamination to the oral /nasal mucosa that gives the entrance to your body. and where do hands go when feeding oneself??? hence the hand washing.
Now avian flu is H5N1 and this is H1N1 so not the same family, for someone who was wondering.
AND I saw that no tamiflu will be released to anyone unless they actually have the flu.
My thoughts when travelling home at 4 am to hear that now its over 150 deaths in mexico is that only 27 have been proven to be from the "mexico"flu the rest presumed.. and Im wondering why
There are many false meds being released in countries so are the antiblotics and other meds being given to these people the dud ones.. counterfeit stuff abounds and unscrupulous firms are happy to sell chalk dust to 3rd world countries and get the price for the real thing.. I have a suspicion that there is more to meet the eye than has yet been researched.
Yes Im a suspicious soul and think some foul play is going on.. Just need WHO to think about that also

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266070 by beedee
Since this is the most active thread on the swine flu topinc I wont go back to my original..
but now want to know:confused:
Will tamiflu help the pigs if they get it???? And what is the best AntiB if they get secondary infections.:(
would a copper ring be the best nose ring to wear, as I have the funny feeling that some nonconventional treatments say that copper is an acid so makes the environment difficult for bugs to grow:rolleyes:

And how interesting that England can treat 50% of the population, they have that much tamiflu stored...India can treat 0.25% of theirs and the USA I think was 2%.. bet there are some red faces in high office buildings, in some countries.
Yes one of these questions is false.. so interesting who bites at what..

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266071 by Simkin
I've read two things recently about 'the flu'.

1. in a normal flu year where the old and weak have been immunized, about 5 to 10% of the population fall ill. Some will die, most will survive. Of those who die most are either elderly or compromised health wise. The cost to the economy is $$$ (which includes a credit for loosing a number of people who have been a strain on the health system - naughty to write this but it is a fact).

2. When a new strain of flu hits, the annual immunization won't protect against this new virus. There is no immunity against it within the population so 20 to 40% of the population are expected to fall ill. Some people will die and they will be people in their prime. Add this up and the cost to the economy will be $$$$$$$$$$$$. No credit from anywhere.

I remember my father having the flu just once in his whole life. It was during that pandemic year 1967 or so. I had never seen him ill and unable to work - until then. He was self employed so this was a huge set back financilally, too. He spent many days in bed with my mother caring (and praying) for him. We were not allowed into their bedroom as my mum didn't want us to catch it but my mum said that he was in a bad state.

That's what governments are wary of - not the individual who may get sick for a week or two but the cost to the country, adding up everything.

Fortunately this swine flu seems to be a mild one and people do recover but one of those 10 affected teenagers is still in hospital, occupying a precious bed there. Once all hospital beds are occupied, some patients will have to be sent home and have a much higher chance to die.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266079 by moggy
Tigger, not having a go at you, just the way the media is reporting it
Shock horror 1000 people infected!!
but put it into context
greater mexico city has a population of 22 million
so 1000 people with flu like symptoms (note not all have actually been confirmed to actually have swine flue, or even any sort of flu) means that
with 1000 infected that is 0.000045% of the population so far, might (or then again, might not) have been infected
suddenly it doesn't not seem quite so bad does it? It certainly does not make such a good headline.
As for 1000 people in a major NZ city having flu at any one time, I don't think that unreasonable in the flu season. Most with it won't bother going to the doctors. And quite possibly may be lower these days, but that is because many people get the flu jab in NZ.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266085 by Simkin

moggy;245646 wrote: Tigger, not having a go at you, just the way the media is reporting it
Shock horror 1000 people infected!!

The worrying part is that over 100 healthy young people have dropped dead as a consequence - that is the unusual thing.

Also, as they have also said in the news, there are tens of thousands more cases in Mexico City alone that went unreported - meaning they were mild and didn't need medical attention. The 1300 cases they are talking - and worrying - about are really really sick people and some of them will die. Not old grannies or sickly children but people in the prime of their lives. People who pay taxes:eek: and/or have children to look after.

We, too, aren't particularly worried ourselves - I certainly haven't rushed off to get Tamiflu for 70 Dollars. But if this flu will strike in larger numbers I will keep my children home from school.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266091 by moggy
Whe you have a situation like this, with the media going over the top, every last person who sneezes is going to think they have the flu, and so exaggerate the figures for the numbers infected. Nor just because they have the flu, does it mean that they have this strain.

I don't believe that there are any figures released that state the many of the victims were young healthy people. The only demographics that have been released that i know of are on age alone, not on their state of health before catching it. Also it would be fair to assume that younger people are less likely to stay at home all day, so more likely to catch it.

I think the final test will be if the confirmed cases on that flight to NZ, did not manage to infect almost the entire passengers after 12 hours sat in recirculated air with them, then it is not that contagious. Only time will tell on that one.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266094 by Simkin
... yes, only time will tell.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266097 by Cinsara
I'm with Stu on this one, the Health Dept bypasses the privacy laws etc by right and I know it may not be possible to contact a visitor caravaning around the country (although most people would have a cell phone) but Darren being ignored is bordering on criminal neglect!
I heard on the news that most of the fatalities were due to secondary infections like pneumonia.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266099 by Isla
This morning someone was interviewed on Morning Report and said something along the lines of "anyone who hasn't been overseas or hasn't been in contact with someone who has, and gets the flu, has just got the flu, with the same ordinary chance as in any other year."

The headline summary of that quote was "you're only as likely to catch swine flu as any other flu during the winter".

I have paraphrased, but that was the gist of the two statements. The second did most definitely NOT reflect the intent or meaning of the first, yet it is the second which was read out as the summary "sound bite".

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266102 by Pumpkingirl
Ok, so now I don't know whether I should post this information from the NZ Pork Industry, and be seen as an inflammatory, irresponsible member of the media, or perhaps it might help people who own pigs, who may not have considered this, even if there is - as the Pork Industry point out - a very low risk of this flu mutating and going back to infect pigs.

So I'll publish and be damned, and I'm not interested in hearing whether you think I'm being inflammatory or not. I actually do my job to help people and I'm pretty sick and tired of hearing about how "all" media are irresponsible, scare-mongering idiots who just want to frighten the crap out of everyone.

This MAY or MAY NOT be relevant to you or your block, but at least you will be informed:
From NZ Pork Industry Board
Recommended Minimum Farm Biosecurity
Standard for Pork Producers
1 Stand Down Period

All persons, vehicles and equipment that enter a pig farm where possible must have had no contact with pigs or their housing for 24 hours before they enter a pig farm. For the purposes of this Standard, lairage at a slaughter house is considered to be external to the farm.
2 Cleaning and Disinfection
In addition to a 24-hour stand down period, all vehicles that have entered a
piggery in the past must be washed before entering another pig farm. For the purposes of this Standard, a vehicle is considered to have entered a piggery if it comes within 10 m of the pigs or their housing.
  • In addition to a 24-hour stand down period, all equipment that has been on a piggery in the past must be washed and disinfected before it is taken onto another pig farm.
  • In addition to a 24-hour stand down period, persons must have showered in the 24 hours before entering a pig farm.
  • All clothing and footwear that is worn onto a piggery must be clean.
  • Footwear that has entered another piggery in the past must be scrubbed cleanand soaked in a licensed disinfectant for 5 minutes before it is consideredclean. Particular attention must be paid to clothing and footwear to whichpigs or their environment may be directly exposed (e.g. overalls andgumboots).
3 Other Animals
Contact between pigs and other animals, and access of other animals to pig
areas should be prevented where possible.
All farmers should maintain a thorough rodent reduction programme.
4 Other Pigs
Producers should discuss biosecurity issues pertaining to the introduction of
new stock with their veterinarian. In all instances, however, it is
recommended that pigs are obtained from the minimum number of sources.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266103 by moggy
btw, several of our staff members were on that flight, and so far they are fine.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266105 by Pumpkingirl

Cinsara;245665 wrote: I heard on the news that most of the fatalities were due to secondary infections like pneumonia.

However if you go with that definition, no-one dies of HIV/AIDS or cancer either.. they die of secondary infections or because their organs fail.

So I presume the logic is, if they hadn't got this flu, they probably wouldn't have died.

Time to create page: 0.210 seconds