Swine flu warning - be careful if you own pigs

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265736 by Pumpkingirl

Inger;245280 wrote: Even if PumpkinGirl is having a senior moment. :P :)

Moi?[:0] I'm not the old one Inger!!!

Honestly, if you're going to flit around Europe for years at a time, people are going to forget you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265768 by moonshiner

The goat, on the other hand, is totally in love with me and calls me Mum

And thats how these things start.......... :rolleyes: [;)]

~

The only valid censorship of ideas is the right of people not to listen. ~Tommy Smothers

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265787 by beedee
Gosh PG, that is a bit of journalistic expansion of facts.. but anything to deflect the one legged booboo

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265839 by Pumpkingirl

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265908 by Inger
People of all ages can have those moments PG. [;)] I started having them in my 20s. [:I] :D

I do think you could have refrain from eating the other two goat legs though. [:0] [;)]

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265971 by moggy
This swine flu is really annoying me.
So 1000 people in New Mexico have caught flu - this is amongst one of the largests and heavily populated cities in the world. In you average winter how many people have flu in Auckland or chch at any one time? Probably not too far off that.

So far there has been no death that has been caused by this flu virus, they have been killed by seconday infections such as pneumonia.

No one outside mexico has died from it, it responds well to medication.

Oh and some grups are objecting to it being called swine fever as so far no pigs have actually caught this strain.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265976 by reggit

moggy;245533 wrote: So far there has been no death that has been caused by this flu virus, they have been killed by seconday infections such as pneumonia.

Some scientists now think that most of the millions of people who died in the 1918 flu pandemic died from bacteria pneumonia attacking them when their bodies were weakened by the flu virus back then too. I don't think any flu usually does kill people, its the complications that arise from it.

Yes, it can be treated, but the question is whether it could be treated effectively and quickly enough if it spread out of control.

What is scary about the 1918 pandemic is that it had a much higher mortality rate amongst the young and fit. Who knows what demographic is being hit by this one.

I'm not for scare-mongering, but for a calm release of info which I think the authorities are doing well now, even if the media is lapping up the drama. Really a case of plan for the worst, hope for the best.

A bit of common sense wouldn't go amiss as far as - if you are feeling sick, stay home, don't go rushing to the hospital for every sniff and sneeze! Far too many people think the world will stop turning on its axis if they don't keep working, and as a result, infect everyone around them with bugs which I think is just damn inconsiderate! :rolleyes:

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265982 by Pumpkingirl
I wasn't trying to startle or over-dramatise either, I just wanted people with pigs to be aware of what it was because I agree with the man from NZ Pork - a lot of amateur pig owners probably wouldn't have a clue that this could affect their pigs.

And the first rule of any flu-prevention plan, anywhere in the world is always wash and dry your hands when handling food, when using the bathroom etc.

Wash for 20 seconds, dry for 20 seconds - drying your hands is actually an important part of ridding your hands of bacteria, just as much as washing them.

And while I'm here, I'm not aware of the ordinary flu being close to pandemic alert numbers in recent years, unlike this strain. I don't think Governments and Health Departments do that without good reason as I'm not aware of 1000 or so people in Chch and Auckland falling ill with flu all in the space of a couple of days.

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265984 by reggit

Pumpkingirl;245546 wrote: And the first rule of any flu-prevention plan, anywhere in the world is always wash and dry your hands when handling food, when using the bathroom etc.

I have never understood that for flu/colds, because flu is aerosol spread, from mouth to nose/respiratory system so surely that means it can't be spread through food? :confused:

Washing and drying hands after sneezing into them or blowing nose/handling tissues I can understand...for those people who still make an effort to contain their sneezes and sniffles, most don't seem to bother [:(!]

The student cases have just been confirmed as the swine flu strain too, so it is officially in NZ. Good news is those kids are getting better. Still 18 people from the flight unaccounted for and 66 suspected cases being tested for.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #265997 by Pumpkingirl
I can't explain that Tigger, I just know it's on the MAF website about avian flu.. I just presumed it was because some filthy person would sneeze on their hands or wipe their nose, then touch a door handle, which someone could then touch just before they pick up their sandwich and eat it.

I have been dealing with quite a few disaster scenarios recently :D perhaps I've confused them.

Always ready to be corrected by the wiser! :D

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266005 by Pumpkingirl
Here is what MAF recommend for avoiding the spread of bird flu (and I'm assuming it's the same for swine flu), as reported in the Listener .

Wash hands after:
  • coughing
  • sneezing
  • using the bathroom
  • blowing your nose
  • before handling food
  • when looking after sick people

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266006 by Isla
I was a bit of a pig over dinner and I've just started sneezing. I've said Mexico quite a lot today. Am I in danger?

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266007 by reggit
That list is a catch-all for 'human emissions' leading to foodbourne illnesses also, so my guess is that they are taking the same approach as MAF with the 'check clean and dry' campaign for all aquatic pests - the dry part is only really for didymo, and its overkill for, say, weedy aquatic plants, but it keeps the message simple by making sure it applies for the worst case scenario :D

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266009 by Pumpkingirl

Isla;245570 wrote: I was a bit of a pig over dinner and I've just started sneezing. I've said Mexico quite a lot today. Am I in danger?

Possibly, and therefore you should be quarantined, I suggest a remote valley with few neighbours.

Oh, that's right....

More
15 years 3 weeks ago #266035 by Ronney
I need to try and find the time to do some research before I spout off too much at the mouth but I'm wondering how much of this is hysteria and hyp, and like Moggy, I tend to get very annoyed at it all. The information given out tends to be insufficient, nobody seems to know what the hell they're talking about and the information changes from hour to hour. The fact that they're dieing like flies in Mexico is hardly surprising. As mentioned, most deaths from flu are from secondary infections and Mexico doesn't strike me as being one of the wealthiest and underpopulated countries of the world.

Swine Influenza in pigs has been around for as long as pigs have been around and although characterized by the same symtoms as human "swine flu", which has also been around for a very long time, they are not the same. This is what concerns me about all this media and hyp. Is this "Swine Flu" something that has jumped the animal/human barrier or is it a more virulent form of the human swine flu. And as a matter of interest, I have not yet heard one person say that there is a human form of swine flu that has nothing to do with pigs.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds