Hoof trimers for sheep ... whats best and not to expenisve ?

More
15 years 4 days ago #263594 by 4trees
Hi Stu, Allegro are really good to deal with, and usually their prices are good. They are on a side street on the opposite the sale yards, and there is a lawyers office on the corner. Also if you go to "Plant & machinery" in Feilding you quite likely will pick up a second hand pair that has come from a farmer retiring. You find all sorts in their yard of second hand farming stuff. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 4 days ago #263598 by kathken
hey stu, you did bloody well to get it done in the middle of the paddock. we can do that with 1 of ours, 1 sometimes and sometimes not, and the third we wouldnt have a shit show of catching her in the paddock, she's too on to it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
15 years 4 days ago #263600 by L Plates
We have dorpers and most of them will stand still while we pick each foot up in turn to trim, however there are some that won't - so we put the dog collar round their neck and fasten it to a very short chain which is wrapped around the fence post [}:)] therefore they can't run away - and it's a damn sight easier than tipping them. Then just to keep them still I lean into them pushing them against the fence - while Mr LP does the 'pedicure'.

Our clippers came from the local farm store, I can't remember how much they were but I don't that think they were particularly expensive.

LP

Tyke Dorpers

More
15 years 4 days ago #263601 by DiDi
Stu - you could always get sheep that don't need their feet trimmed! I continue with Romney's (which also throw me around the yards when I want to catch them - and I'm older than you!) but if they do limp - I ignore it and next thing they are fine.

Mine are just lawnmowers (and now too old for first time lambing) but if I was still breeding them, the two that occasionally limp would not be in the breeding program. It has a high heritability factor and after so many years of farming, I'm damned if I would put up with having to trim feet on sheep. Having had 96 goats over 20 years ago - lesson learnt for life!

More
15 years 3 days ago #263618 by Stu_R
Thanks 4 trees , i hadn't even thought of plant & machinery ... thank you :)
Yep i know the street you mean ,will check out Allegro to :)

:) Didi well i just have to put up with what i have :) lol only 2 of mine are dorpers, the others are ( as the lady that sold them to us says) "make unknown" lol

:) the wrist bone is still a bit tender from being slammed between annoyed big fat Dorper and fence post.
The knee and top of leg aren't so bad this morning after their collision with a log while being dragged by same said dorper lol

:) oh well the joys of having animals :) ... at least they are walking better now :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
15 years 3 days ago #263644 by LongRidge
Whatever you use is much easier if it is sharp. I sharpen my hoof knife (which is only any use on equines), 3 sets of hoof clippers, and 2 sets of secateurs with an old chainsaw file. I used to have a small Shoof file, but it got lost and didn't do a much better job.
With the clippers, either sheep or garden, it is much easier if the blades are scissor action and both of them thin. I did have some strong-looking thick bladed ones, but they now work much better since they have been ground down to half their thickness.
With the footrot spray, there are only 3 I use now. PVC Iodine get sprayed onto cuts, minor scald and clippers that have just dealt to a rotten or scalded or thrushy hoof/foot. Aerotet Forte, which has gentian violent in it, gets used for worse rot or scald. Copper sulphate paste is good to smear into deep cracks. Also, talk with your vet about injecting with penicillin, which worked wonders on ours.

More
15 years 3 days ago #263663 by hilldweller

Stu_R;243012 wrote: at least they are walking better now :)

So they're walking better and you're walking worse LOL? Hope the bruises go quickly.

hilldweller

More
15 years 3 days ago #263665 by reggit

LongRidge;243044 wrote: Copper sulphate paste is good to smear into deep cracks. .

We have one girl (infertile and overweight [:0][:I]) who gets 'cracked heels' and that paste is just wonderful :D

And before anyone says anything - she's our Herd Queen and lamb babysitter and earns her keep by making life just that little easier as far as handling the whole flock goes [;)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 3 days ago #263698 by Stu_R
HD :) much better :) Milo is good as gold .. Blaze is comming right to :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
14 years 11 months ago #265493 by 4MyStandys
I use the foot rot shears shaped like pruners, (shoof ones I think) vastly easier to use for the chick sized hands in the world than those big long bladed one's that are more like shearing blades. They're also not hugely expensive.

Work very well.

the OH tips them up for me and I trim - got the flock done in a couple of hours last time.

The ram we have to do standing like a horse - he's not too upset by it.

But we do them in the cattle race - no way could we manage without the yards. Last time was much easier once we put a sheet of plywood down so they couldn't get a grip in the sand. Just slipped it in under the bottom rail. Voila!

When we win lotto...well we can dream can't we...we're going to get a sheep tipper and build a race into it and it'll be a one person job then.

More
14 years 11 months ago #265499 by jeannielea
I agree that second hand ones are good if you can get them. we found ours in my Dad's shed - and he was never a farmer so they were probably there since Adam was a boy! But they are strong and work well. Long pointed blades with a spring to control them like secateurs.

More
14 years 11 months ago #265540 by Stu_R
:) 4mystandy's :) you and be both on the lotto thingy :)
lol but then if i won lotto i would have my own block with all the proper yards and stuff :)
This trying to do them in about a 900 meter long and 30 meter wide lane paddock is no fun.
To many logs and fences lol and they can pick up to much speed lol
Then when you do stop them , and roll them on side, they always land on top of your leg ( and the leg with the foot trimmers in that side pocket)... its a bummer trying to do them by yourself
:) lol and learnt the hard way .. my body at 50 years old, doesn't take the knocks as easy as it used to :( lol
:) apparently the guy that owns the Olive grove where i have the sheep, his brother is a vet in Tauranga , and is sending down some proper hoof trimmers this week ... i will let you know how they turn out :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #265605 by kindajojo
i sympathise stu, and its a good idea to rince the clippers in distinfectant between sheep..however i mental image of you trying to chase sheep around the race and hold on to the clippers...been there done that.
I hate it when you have to vaccinate/tag/drench/record a the same time..not enough hands and although the horse trough that hangs on the fence doubles a a work bench it always seems to be a fingertip out of reach when haging on to a struggling sheep

More
14 years 11 months ago #265609 by Stu_R
:) kindajojo :) lol i agree :) um it's like when you finally catch/stop mad charging sheep .. and flip it .. its always on top of the leg that has the hoof trimmers in that leg side pocket lol ( yes thanks westermans :) they are still the best work pants i have ever had :) )
:) at least grove owner ( after he chased a lamb all over the place to Zenith ... you should have seen his face when he turned round and saw all the yellow zenith marks over the other 9 lol)... suddenly realized we NEED yards :)
:) and hopefully with the proper trimmers supposedly arriving at Poppies Feilding tomorrow .. then life will be easier :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #265661 by davet
For anyone in the Manawatu area I have a Hayes easycrutcher that works well, it is free for anyone who would like to borrow it.

Never go to bed angry....
Stay up and get your revenge

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds