Hoof trimers for sheep ... whats best and not to expenisve ?

More
15 years 1 week ago #17749 by Stu_R
hi , well after doing best i can on 2 Dorper wethers, with a sharpened up pair of heavy duty rose cutters :( .. and finding out a: Dorper wethers that don't want their feet done are very strong , b: need yards as being dragged into fence posts and logs hurts, c: the rose cutter things are hopeless
Whats everyone recommend as a good and not to expensive trimmers to buy for a sheep's feet?
Being Dorpers i am picking this will be an on going thing to do their feet ... and no bloody way am i going through that all for not a good result again.
:) have checked TM but cant find any for sale ... so what does everyone recommend as good ones to buy new ... yes the non-existent budget is going to have to stretch again :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 week ago #263503 by reggit
We have two pairs - one pair with serrated edges from Shoof which are good for hard hooves, but the other pair is even better - Keen brand, very narrow, very sharp, actually in the garden section of Farmlands, and very cheap :D

I think Bev put us on to them - she uses them for her goats?

Also have on hand some purple spray from vets (Aerotet?) in cases of snipping a bit too much [:I] and some footrot spray just in case...[:I]

Ours all get kept in one bucket that we can grab when needed so nothing gets lost.

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 1 week ago #263506 by hilldweller
Only thing I can read on mine is 'Daprille', but that may be the blade only, not the full thing. Green packet, orange handles. Couldn't say I like using them but they've done well. I started with 50 elderly ewes with very overgrown hooves and it took a lot of trimming to get them through their last year or two so the trimmers have been well used. Iodine spray is good for any accidental cuts and also treats scald (painful moist white/pink tissue in the cleft between the two 'toes').

Are you tipping them over into a shearing position to do the feet?

hilldweller

More
15 years 1 week ago #263508 by reggit

hilldweller;242894 wrote: Are you tipping them over into a shearing position to do the feet?

Or lifting up each foot like you would a horse, as we do [}:)][}:)][}:)]

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 1 week ago #263526 by Stu_R
:) well to be honest .. yes i have footrot spray with me .. and um well they are big fat heavy buggers .... so after actually being dragged and smashed into every thing in sight ... lol i think they weigh somewhere near as much as i do lol .. um yeah kinda shearing position kinda anyway i could control them and see what i was doing :)
thanks for the tips :) will check out all the suggestions ... will try Farmlands, the vets, and RD1 here in town on Monday :)
YES i do know i need to be able to get to the yards ... geez its hard work in the paddock :( lol but i got there in the end :) and did best i could with what i had :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :

More
15 years 1 week ago #263527 by Stu_R
Milo was fine instantly after i did him .. Blaze had some messy stuff under his bad foot to ... so gave that a good blast with footrot spray as well .. he was better after i had done him , but still a little ginger on that foot

More
15 years 1 week ago #263528 by Stu_R
:) tigger i wish they would stand for the one foot at a time thing :) .. Blaze seemed to know i was trying to help him and stood for me to look , but not to cut his hoof
Milo on the other hand was having none of it ... you want to look at my sore foot? you bloody catch me first :) lol

More
15 years 1 week ago #263532 by reggit
Ours only do the four foot thing grudgingly, and one is a right tart about it. But the ewes are heavier than us and they struggle even more when you try to tip them. Thought it was us when we first got them, but have heard from a couple of real sheep farmers that they have had problems with their wiltis too as far as finding that 'sweet spot' on their backs/bums where they stop struggling and go all placid [}:)]

But we also have a nice narrow crush to get them under control in too...

More
15 years 1 week ago #263535 by Stu_R
:) lucky girl Tigger :) .... geez i would be happy if the yards I'm allowed to use ... didn't have his ex neighbors sheep in between them and the way to get my sheepies in their ... and yep its Blackie the old ram thats most in the way ... and he scored a bloody got smack in the head from me the other day to, after his 4th attempt at charge me a i walked through the paddock

More
15 years 1 week ago #263549 by kathken
i've got the same ones as hilldweller, orange handle. but the ones our vet uses look really good, long and narrow, and perfect for getting in and around if that makes sense. our shearer swears by plain old secatuers, and has always used them the whole 10 years we've geting the sheep shorn/hoofs trimmed for free at the same time. obviously we do it ourselves as well when needed.

we do the same as tigger, get them in the holding pen and hubby holds them with our knee jammed in against them and against the fence posts, and i lift one hoof at a time to trim. turn them around to do the other side. it's bloody hard work every time as they do try to pull away and stomp about. but we do it this way coz we cant tip them up - they're too big and fat for us. we tried a few times initially but it ends up a bloody comedy show with sheep and people up and down all over the place. the shearer makes it look so easy, but we just cant bloody do it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reluctant Suburbanite Now

More
15 years 1 week ago #263555 by hilldweller

tigger;242896 wrote: Or lifting up each foot like you would a horse, as we do [}:)][}:)][}:)]

I've occasionally done it that way too, especially if it's a ram and just one foot that needs attention. When there's lots to do I find I can do a better job and more quickly with them on their bums. Hopefully the days of mass foot-trimming are now gone though ....

hilldweller

More
15 years 1 week ago #263568 by kindajojo
hi I got some cost about $38.00 not top of the line but work well....a good rural supply in Allegro in Feilding, they guys are great for advice, if they dont have it they will get it and lol they dont have eftpos......I found RD1 hopeless.

More
15 years 1 week ago #263582 by Stu_R
hey cool kindajojo :) thanks ,, where are Allegro? thats a new one on me :) ... am happy to go check them to :)
:) kathken ... if i could get them into the yards :) ( read .. if ex neighbour removed his sheep, which i had to zenith, and then get the land owner to complain to the guy that owned them, and threaten spca befor they got shorn, would get his sheep out of the way) then yes i would have no probs doing them the same way as Tigger and you :)
LOL but when just me, and cant get to yards ... they are big strong buggers in the paddock
Yep i did the best i could with what i had :) Milo is happy chappy and fine .. Blaze , is way better , but i think will need a little time for the footrot spray to work :)
:) was worth all the extra bruises i scored from hitting fence posts and logs :)
:) thanks for all the advice guys n gals :) i will check it all out on Monday :) armed with more info than i had befor :)

More
15 years 1 week ago #263583 by foufee
we were given a tip to get large sheep down as our ewes are heavier than I am let alone the ram. Put a finger in the mouth of the sheep and turn the head back to one side then they sit down and roll over with not too much effort.

More
15 years 1 week ago #263586 by Stu_R
:) thanks Foufee :) i try that one next time :) ... i am learning all the time :)

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds