pukeko chicks

More
10 years 7 months ago #468737 by Far Call
Replied by Far Call on topic pukeko chicks
Recipe I came across (sorry don't know who wrote it)

Recipe for Pukeko

1) Take a pot and fill with water. When the water comes to the boil add a stone and a cleaned Pukeko.
2) When the stone is tender the Pukeko is ready to eat

:) Sorry - its not relevant but it cracks me up. I think they are pretty and we have nursed one that was hit by a car but we returned him to the water near the accident site. I have seen too many photos of them in bird proof orchard trees and I didn't know about the water trough exploits... yuk

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468783 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic pukeko chicks
Dont encourage them into your area if you dont have them!!!

If you are really desperate for some, I'll gladly send you the dozen from here if I manage to trap them. So far have only caught a wild cat and rat in the live capture trap. They will probably be glad for a respite from being chased away with the pot and wooden spoon.

If you are trying to grow a vege garden with Pukekoes around, you can expect:

Seedlings nipped off or pulled up
Seeds dug out and eaten
Corn almost ready for harvest to be eaten "out of shell" before you have a chance to pick. Pukekoes fly into the corn stalks and take the corn cobs down with their big feet. If in reach from the ground, they will eat the corn out of the husk while leaving to cob in place.
Berries and fruit eaten...
They also decimate bean crops.

Noise when flock gathers and chase each other for mating... day and night!
Messing with the water troughs.

Yes they are pretty birds, but that is about where my admiration for them stops. If they have an appetite for ducklings, then they are in more trouble! I like watching the little ducks with their dozen ducklings following behind, but they all disappeared in a few days.

More
10 years 7 months ago #468785 by igor
Replied by igor on topic pukeko chicks
Casserole them.

Time to create page: 0.117 seconds