pukeko chicks

More
15 years 6 months ago #236355 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic pukeko chicks
They are native, as is the Black Backed Gull and some migratory species; they are not endemic as is the Kiwi and Paradise Duck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236362 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic pukeko chicks
Endemic: Species breeding naturally only in New Zealand

Native: Species breeding naturally in New Zealand but can be found breeding in other regions.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236414 by Isla
Now I want to add yet another attempt. :D [;)]

More
15 years 6 months ago #236457 by NZ Appaloosas
Replied by NZ Appaloosas on topic pukeko chicks
Pukekos purr??? Now I really want one, as well. I just get all gushy/gooey watching the puke and the chicks in the one TV advert. Hubby say's I'm bonkers... LOL

Diane

Featuring Wap Spotted, sire of the first Wap Spot 2 grandget in Southern Hemisphere and New Zealand

On the first day God created horses. On the second day He spotted the best ones.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236465 by Cinsara
Replied by Cinsara on topic pukeko chicks
Do they spread TB or is it selmonella? I adore Pukes but as I have baby chickens running around, I am quite glad they only pop up to the house paddock on occassion.

>

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate!

More
15 years 6 months ago #236480 by Isla
I never caught TB or Salmonella from the ones which lived in our house. [;)]

More
15 years 6 months ago #236514 by ravenseyes
Replied by ravenseyes on topic pukeko chicks
They poop in troughs - I am sooooo sick of watching them get up have a drink turn around on the edge and drop a load

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236515 by ravenseyes
Replied by ravenseyes on topic pukeko chicks
Pukekas can be shot in season with a shotgun, if you have a game licence or own the land. The Fish and Game web pages will explain all this.

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

More
10 years 8 months ago #468392 by mellyness
Replied by mellyness on topic pukeko chicks
very interesting thread :-)
I also used to LOVE pukekos. they are so pretty and the babies so cute.
but now i am well and truly over them. we have chickens who have not yet worked out how to use their self feeder (any tips?) - but the pukekos have worked out how to use it! i hate to think how much we are spending in keeping them alive - anyone tell me when the shooting season is?

More
10 years 8 months ago #468396 by poaka
Replied by poaka on topic pukeko chicks
we're over them when they sneaked in to the pigeon loft..grabbed the squabs , washed them in the water bowl than ate them..

Statistically, 6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy. [:)]

3 Beef Roasts and Mince
40 Chicken Roasts and Omelettes
25 Pigeon Pies left after Falcon dined out,. 5 pheasants
plus 3 pig dogs

More
10 years 8 months ago #468398 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic pukeko chicks

mellyness;470787 wrote: v we have chickens who have not yet worked out how to use their self feeder (any tips?) - but the pukekos have worked out how to use it! ?

well, that would explain why they survive so easily - they are just more intelligent [}:)] :D :D .....

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 8 months ago #468399 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic pukeko chicks

poaka;470791 wrote: ..grabbed the squabs , washed them in the water bowl than ate them..

... and more hygiene - conscious....[}:)][}:)][B)]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 8 months ago #468403 by tonic
Replied by tonic on topic pukeko chicks

Blueberry;470793 wrote: well, that would explain why they survive so easily - they are just more intelligent [}:)] :D :D .....

it tends to be the intelligent species that humans get the most trouble from... the way we are going one day we will have reduced the wild species to just the stupid ones.

i too, think pukekos are great. however we did have a pair that would cruise around the chicken area each day checking out any nests and getting the eggs before me! quick learners they are.

More
10 years 8 months ago #468541 by carlyjean
Replied by carlyjean on topic pukeko chicks
They are lovely to look at but I agree with many others on this thread they are a real threat to your LSB! They undid hours of my bulb planting! Grr! But much worst is their appetite for brown teal ducklings. We have 2 breeding pairs of these endangered little beauties in our pond and last year the pukes at ALL of their ducklings! It was so sad- each day there would be less and less. We watched them stalk the teal around the pond, and later found baby chicks with their heads bitten off or not even touched. I read that they kill for sport - not only food.
So again- they are beautiful birds- but I would rather not have them!

More
10 years 8 months ago #468545 by Mousewhisker
Replied by Mousewhisker on topic pukeko chicks
I'd say you might not be very popular with your neighbours if you encourage them into your area!!!

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds