pukeko chicks

More
15 years 6 months ago #15558 by dragonfly
pukeko chicks was created by dragonfly
This may sound like a silly question, but does anyone sell Pukeko chicks. There are websites that sell Pheasant, Quail and Partridge. There are lots of pukekos around but we have none here. can anyone help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236116 by Isla
Replied by Isla on topic pukeko chicks
Welcome to the site. They're native birds and you may not trade them, I shouldn't think.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236117 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic pukeko chicks
My thoughts too...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 6 months ago #236120 by dragonfly
Replied by dragonfly on topic pukeko chicks
thanks for the response, I think i may have to somehow encourage these birds into our area.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236124 by Isla
You might just end up with one to raise, if you're ... lucky. [;)] People often find them at this time of the year, lost from nests because of various types of animal and bird attack. What part of the country are you in?

More
15 years 6 months ago #236126 by dragonfly
Replied by dragonfly on topic pukeko chicks
we are in Raglan Isla

More
15 years 6 months ago #236128 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic pukeko chicks
Hi and welcome to the site. No, you can't trade in Pukes, they are a native bird and are therefore protected other than in the shooting season when they are allowed to be bagged.

Coming from me, this is going to sound hypocritical but you may want to think twice before introducing them to your property unless you have a situation where you are going to be able to keep them well away from your house and garden areas. I love Pukes and have a constant flock of "Blue Chickens" that live around my cowshed and come in every morning and night to be fed. Right now I'm left with 6 juviniles that are too young to breed as they were born over winter; all the adult birds have gone off to breed and I expect them back shortly with a line of youngsters in tow. This is a huge delight for me as Pukes rarely bring their chicks out into the open. The juviniles that are currently resident have become very quiet to the point that they will eat out of my hand and one will actually allow me to stroke it - this is something I've never tried before as I'm happy to let them make the rules. A couple of weeks ago they were crowded around the shed door waiting for their feed and as I came out I stood on the foot of one which caused me to trip and I ended up flat on my face[^]

I'm lucky in that I have a river between the house and the cowshed so the Pukes tend to stay by the river and while some do wander up to the house, it doesn't often happen. Be aware that they can be a very destructive bird if your planing on putting in gardens.

Cheers,
Ronnie

More
15 years 6 months ago #236138 by reggit
Replied by reggit on topic pukeko chicks
I love them too, but make sure your gardens (and not just your vege gardens) are puke proof before encouraging them...

Take a break...while I take care of your home, your block, your pets, your stock! [;)] PM me...

More
15 years 6 months ago #236141 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic pukeko chicks
If you have none in the area I would guess they have been cleared, they do great damage to maize crops, pulling the new plants up to 20% crop then pull off the cobs, I used to be embarrassed as my place was the dining table to the neighbouring paddock, hundreds of eaten cobs left ... so the farmer was allowed to clear the land and did the neighbouring farms also and now the numbers would be down to about 30 around instead of several hundred.. Raglan township have some lovely corrugated iron ones.... ;)
they kill ducklings, harrass farm animals and clear ones vege patch.. all in one w/end

More
15 years 6 months ago #236285 by stripey
Replied by stripey on topic pukeko chicks
To continue the list....: kill baby chickens, steal chicken food, snap off freshly planted trees with their beaks, foul water troughs and definitely destroy vege gardens.

I know they are pretty and native, but I would happily pass on 20 or so of ours to you!

More
15 years 6 months ago #236304 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic pukeko chicks
They kill ducklings and chicks and can be really nasty. If it were me, I wouldn't encourage them, Just my own opinion

More
15 years 6 months ago #236306 by Isla
But a tame one will sit on your lap and purr like a cat. :)

And then it will eat your ducklings. [}:)] Or pull out your neighbour's prize lily bulbs.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236330 by bev
Replied by bev on topic pukeko chicks
hate the bloody things for all the reasons above, filthy birds, why they are protected beats me, they not even native to NZ
All eggs i find are destroyed and dogs are allowed to kill birds. Between me and 3 dairyfarm neighbours we are finally getting them under control.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236342 by diggs
Replied by diggs on topic pukeko chicks
commonly referred to as Rats with wings

Kapiti

More
15 years 6 months ago #236347 by Ronney
Replied by Ronney on topic pukeko chicks
There is a common misconception that these birds were imported from Australia. They were not, they are native to New Zealand which is why they are a partially protected bird. So think twice before knocking them off outside the designated shooting period or deliberately destroying nests.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.140 seconds