Chicken Treasure Trove in Canterbury

More
14 years 11 months ago #275783 by Xartep

Twit;256301 wrote: Hi Andrea, wondered if it might be you - not too many Andreas in this part of the world. Yes, I bought your lovely Barnevelder rooster and should be on your waiting list for a chook. He has his work cut out with the two Light Sussex girls who are younger than him but team up against him when they feel like picking on someone.

If I can find a Barnevelder chook soon, then I plan to rehome both ladies, if not, then I shall sell just one and see if that gives the rooster a bit more of a chance.

Anyhow, thanks for getting in touch.

My Barnevelder breeder cohort is planning a "roadtrip" down south soon. He will be bringing a bunch of "spare" birds, mainly cockerels with him. If you are interested in meeting him PM me. We did very well in the Wairarapa show this past weekend. :D :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 years 11 months ago #275788 by Simkin
In the April issue of Poultry NZ are the show dates. This coming weekend Ashburton, the weekend after Christchurch - Blenheim Road opposite The Warehouse.

More
14 years 11 months ago #276017 by Xartep

Andrea;235046 wrote: Should have gone to the Rare Breeds Auction today - there were several Faverolles in the poultry section. Also, don't forget the Ashburton Poultry Club has it's large annual sale coming up soon (don't have any details, but it was mentioned on numerous occasions today).

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

I think I may have got some Barnie eggs from you in January also? :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 11 months ago #276029 by Twit
Did I say 2 glasses of wine? It must have been 3 because I read the wrong message thinking it was sent to me. Now you are not surprised I call myself 'Twit'. Will get back to you about the trip south once I have worked out what to do. Ta for now. Twit

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2 Cats, 2 Guinea pigs, 1 Light Sussex, 3 White Leghorn x and 2 gorgeous Barnevelders.

More
14 years 11 months ago #276102 by Inger
Granny56R has Barnevelder poultry Twit, so you could send her a Private Message and ask if she has a couple of older hens that she wouldn't mind sparing? Or perhaps you could get fertile eggs off her in Spring? You could sell the two Light Sussex hens soon and give the rest of your hens an easier life.

If you send me an email (click on my name in the left hand margin), I can email you a list of South Island breeders. Fertile eggs are all you'll get at this time of the year. Any pullets will have been sold months ago.

Don't forget that Precious Poultry (in Thames) will courier fertile eggs all over NZ.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
14 years 11 months ago #276184 by Kate43
Hi all, I havn't been on here for ages, and had forgotten what a good forum it is! I am looking for fertile eggs from Silver Campine, White plymouth rock or any other colour apart from Barred. Could someone let me have the guy in Chch's details if he has Silver Campines. Thanks

A Scot loving life in NZ, with Kiwi partner, 2 Appaloosas, Flora the beltie, numerous chooks, aviary birds, dogs ect.[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
14 years 11 months ago #276250 by Twit
Barnevelders

Thanks to all who have replied to my enquiry regarding a Barnevelder chook. So many options when you are in touch with the right people.... Have been able to find one on trade me today! Although I originally only wanted 2-3 chooks I already have 5 chooks and 1 rooster and all that in the last 3 weeks. Must be mad...

I'll better give them all some time to settle in now, as they are different breeds and have arrived from various breeders at different times. Then I'll decide if anyone has to go to improve the atmosphere in the chook house. (Cannot stand out in the cold guarding the weaker members of my 'flock' during feeding time forever, can I?).

Ta again.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2 Cats, 2 Guinea pigs, 1 Light Sussex, 3 White Leghorn x and 2 gorgeous Barnevelders.

More
14 years 11 months ago #276252 by Stu_R
:) Twit ... do what i do :) .. the weaker members of the ( tribe, litter, flock) get moved inside the house :)
Much warmer for me :) and easier to keep an eye on :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
14 years 11 months ago #276260 by cjcallum

Andrea;256286 wrote: Hm. It also appears that I was supposed to get info on the Ashburton show, but never did track it down. Does anyone know if there's a site or good source of info on show dates? The few I have been to haven't been publicised and I've just bumped into them...

Thanks
Andrea
Oxford

Gavin and sue greenwood have a $6? I think... Calander with all the poultry auctons, shows, meeting etc in the south island. Pm me if you want there details. They can post 1 to you. Cheers!

farmer brown

More
14 years 11 months ago #276264 by cjcallum
Actualy this is easier. I will just make a Thread tittled "South Island Poultry Events" and put on the poultry event dates and a little info if I can. I have to look for my calander though.

farmer brown

More
14 years 11 months ago #276274 by granny56r
Thanks cjcallum that would be great.
You have some lovely chooks on T. Just gotta love those black orps!!

I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
DOUGLAS ADAMS

More
14 years 11 months ago #276295 by Andrea1
Hey, thanks for the info on the Ashburton Show, as well as the offer to post the show schedule for us on the site, CJ, great stuff. Looking at my birdies now to see who's going and who's going to be bred. I have a few pullets already of a mind to go clucky, but NO MORE CHICKIES THIS WINTER! Already had 5 hens come out of the shrubs in May with a total of 43 chickens.

Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 7 months ago #298885 by Barbarossa
Please could we have the contact details for the Belfast Rhode Island Red breeder. Send a pm to Barbarossa. Thanks

More
14 years 1 month ago #326223 by hornbyman

Simkin;212250 wrote: Last Tuesday I went to see a chook breeder just north of Christchurch who has several rare breeds and who is not on the Rare Breeds web site (Inger - I'll pm you). He mainly sells fertile eggs, $2 each.

While I was not very impressed by some of his birds he has top quality Rhode Island Reds - the deepest chestnut brown I've ever seen (I bred them for about 5 years) and he said they start to lay at 26 weeks of age which is brilliant. The ones I had needed 8 to 9 months.

His Coronation Sussex are excellent quality, too, and his Golden Laced Wyandotte pullets basically lay an egg per day. However, their lacing isn't particularly tidy - nothing that should put people off unless they are hoping to breed them for showing.

Some of his breeds I know very little of so can't comment on quality. The list is as follows:

Golden Campines
Silver Campines
Black Araucana (tufts not very good but present)
Lavender Araucana (tufts not very good but present)
Dorking
Salmon Faverolle
Coronation Sussex
Light Sussex
Buff Sussex
Rhode Island Red
Golden Laced Wyandottes
Andalusians
Buff Orpington
Plymouth Barred Rocks

I think that's it.

He occasionally sells pullets at reasonable prices but these may have to be ordered and it is strictly pick-up only - this applies to fertile eggs, too.

His contact details are available by pm.

After a good quality Buff Sussex roo. Can you please send this breeders details through. Cheers. Pam

More
14 years 1 month ago #326239 by clowder
Hi hornbyman...welcome...I hatched some buff sussex from these people and got two beautiful roosters ,no hens:( , they are huge handsom boys except the dont have the neck colouring...if you would like one?...I'm keeping one to put with my light sussex girls in spring.

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds