Chicken Treasure Trove in Canterbury

More
15 years 1 month ago #256293 by Andrea1
Should have gone to the Rare Breeds Auction today - there were several Faverolles in the poultry section. Also, don't forget the Ashburton Poultry Club has it's large annual sale coming up soon (don't have any details, but it was mentioned on numerous occasions today).

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 1 month ago #256295 by Inger
We should get a sticky of a thread about coming Poultry Shows put on this forum, shouldn't we. Then everyone will know when they're coming up and can go along and meet the breeders and buy or order birds from them.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
15 years 1 month ago #256302 by Simkin

Andrea;235046 wrote: Should have gone to the Rare Breeds Auction today - there were several Faverolles in the poultry section. Also, don't forget the Ashburton Poultry Club has it's large annual sale coming up soon (don't have any details, but it was mentioned on numerous occasions today).

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

There was indeed a fine trio of young Faverolles, probably September hatch (my guess) with lovely big beards and they went for 45 Dollars per bird as far as I know. There was another pair of Faverolles, not quite as nice so I've been told and I don't know how old the birds were but they went for 10 Dollars each. The third lot - 2 males and 4 females - was passed in with a reserve of 35 Dollars each. No guarantee that I've got the prices right but that's what I understood.

More
15 years 1 month ago #256304 by Christinecb
I was actually at the Rare breeds Auction (Andrea, I'm the Christine who bought your Arapawas, there a pic of them in my blog, if you'd like to see.)

I did bid on the first set of Faverolles, they looked very nice, but I don't really know much about poultry and $45 seemed like it was getting quite high..? Then I couldn't stay for the other ones, because I had an appointment I had to make!

That's why I was hoping I could contact the breeder in Belfast and see what sort of price he sells them for, also I thought it would be good to talk to a breeder since I don't really know much about anything anyway. I mean I thought the first lot looked good...but you couldn't get a much more inexperienced eye than mine. :o

Christine
Arapawa goats, fallow deer, mixed chooks, indian runner ducks, euro pigs, bengal cats

www.blackrobin.co.nz/blog

More
15 years 1 month ago #256308 by kate

Inger;235048 wrote: We should get a sticky of a thread about coming Poultry Shows put on this forum, shouldn't we. Then everyone will know when they're coming up and can go along and meet the breeders and buy or order birds from them.

That's what the calendar is for...[8D]

Web Goddess

More
15 years 1 month ago #256324 by Andrea1
Oh! Hi, Christine - sorry, I didn't make the connection. The Faverolles toward the end of the auction made much less than that (as per usual... fewer people, less frenzied bidding because of the heat). I think one pen went for $5 each at the end!

If you like, I'll try to find out about the Ashburton Show and get the details on here?

I'll email you, Christine.

Cheers
Andrea

More
15 years 1 month ago #256337 by Simkin
Hi Christine,

the first lot of Faverolles was worth each and every cent of the 45 Dollars per bird. I actually thought that they might fetch up to 100 Dollars per bird - that's how good they are. I haven't seen very many Faverolles but these were the best I've seen so far.

The breeder just north of Christchurch doesn't have Faverolle breeding birds as nice as these. He mainly sells fertile eggs but he is still worth trying - he has got 15 breeds at least.

The last lot of Faverolles (lot 419) was passed in with a reserve of 35 Dollars per bird. You could still try to contact the breeder - the telephone number is on the back of the catalogue. The Faverolle pair (lot 418) went for 10 Dollars per bird I think. I didn't have a look at them - I didn't notice them I must admit - but I was told they weren't very nice at all.

More
15 years 1 month ago #256344 by Christinecb
Andrea, That'd be great if you could get that information, thanks. :)

Yes I saw all three lots, the second lot didn't see too bad coloring wise, etc, but the hen had all her feather plucked off her back. I thought the third lot hardly looked like faverolles at all.

Christine
Arapawa goats, fallow deer, mixed chooks, indian runner ducks, euro pigs, bengal cats

www.blackrobin.co.nz/blog

More
14 years 10 months ago #275637 by Twit
Hi

I am looking for a breeder of Barnevelder chooks/pullets in the North Canterbury area. Have gone down the Rare Breeds route but don't seem to have come up with anyone. Also, I am also keeping an eye on trade-me.

Reading previous comments I understand that the (in)famous Belfast supplier does not include Barnevelders so I just wondered if anyone knows of some in the area.

I am fairly new to all this chicken business (but already hooked) and started off with 2 Sussex Lights which look fabulous but really don't fit in with the rest of the chooks (basically, they are throwing their weight around big time). The rooster, a Barnevelder, has his work cut out to keep peace so I would like to replace the Sussex Lights with one or two Barnevelder chooks and find a good home for the 'terrible twins'.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2 Cats, 2 Guinea pigs, 1 Light Sussex, 3 White Leghorn x and 2 gorgeous Barnevelders.

More
14 years 10 months ago #275753 by Andrea1
Welcome to the site, Twit!

I breed Barnevelders, and am listed on the Rare Breeds website. We had a very bad breeding season with our Barnies last spring, in that of the 60+ we hatched only 7 of them were pullets, the rest boys. We're eating a lot of chicken this winter, but have sold some of the boys as breeding stock, as they are turning out very nicely. Feel free to get in touch, but I have a wait-list for chickens in the spring, but plenty of cockerels at this time.

Oh, hang on... just re-reading your post... you bought one of my boys, didn't you?

Cheers
Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 10 months ago #275755 by Andrea1
Hm. It also appears that I was supposed to get info on the Ashburton show, but never did track it down. Does anyone know if there's a site or good source of info on show dates? The few I have been to haven't been publicised and I've just bumped into them...

Thanks
Andrea
Oxford

More
14 years 10 months ago #275770 by Twit
Hi Andrea, wondered if it might be you - not too many Andreas in this part of the world. Yes, I bought your lovely Barnevelder rooster and should be on your waiting list for a chook. He has his work cut out with the two Light Sussex girls who are younger than him but team up against him when they feel like picking on someone.

If I can find a Barnevelder chook soon, then I plan to rehome both ladies, if not, then I shall sell just one and see if that gives the rooster a bit more of a chance.

Anyhow, thanks for getting in touch.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]2 Cats, 2 Guinea pigs, 1 Light Sussex, 3 White Leghorn x and 2 gorgeous Barnevelders.

More
14 years 10 months ago #275778 by Xartep

Simkin;235090 wrote: Hi Christine,

the first lot of Faverolles was worth each and every cent of the 45 Dollars per bird. I actually thought that they might fetch up to 100 Dollars per bird - that's how good they are. I haven't seen very many Faverolles but these were the best I've seen so far.

The breeder just north of Christchurch doesn't have Faverolle breeding birds as nice as these. He mainly sells fertile eggs but he is still worth trying - he has got 15 breeds at least.

The last lot of Faverolles (lot 419) was passed in with a reserve of 35 Dollars per bird. You could still try to contact the breeder - the telephone number is on the back of the catalogue. The Faverolle pair (lot 418) went for 10 Dollars per bird I think. I didn't have a look at them - I didn't notice them I must admit - but I was told they weren't very nice at all.

I went to visit a breeder in January who sounds like the same chap. Just northish of Belfast? And took him some of my Faverolles eggs. I went back and got some of his Faverolles eggs before leaving CHCH but unfortunately only one survived, a Cockerel. :(

I would like to know also who was selling the Faverolles at the auction. Could you please PM me the details from the catalogue and in case I have the wrong guy the breeder mentioned above? Ta[;)]

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 10 months ago #275779 by Xartep
If its the same guy he also had one of my Pups (unbeknown to me until I walked in the gate! She'd been moved around alot. :( ) Its a small world for sure. :D

3 Cocker Spaniels, 1 Huntaway, 3 Cats, Goats, Sheep, Pigs, Cows, Ducks, Chickens, Bunnies - small petting zoo?:rolleyes::cool:

More
14 years 10 months ago #275782 by Xartep
Copied from the rarebreeds website

Ashburton Poultry Show

Ashburton Fanciers Society 118th Annual Show is being held in the sports Hall Tancred Street on 19-20th June 2009.

Feature show is for Sussex and Langshans. Entries close 30 May, with the Secretary, Mr B. J. Glassey, P O Box 5054, Tinwald, Ashburton 7741 or phone (03) 302 6909 and leave a message to get a schedule sent. For further information contact Sue Greenwood, email address This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Time to create page: 0.214 seconds