Chicken Treasure Trove in Canterbury

More
15 years 6 months ago #15516 by Simkin
Last Tuesday I went to see a chook breeder just north of Christchurch who has several rare breeds and who is not on the Rare Breeds web site (Inger - I'll pm you). He mainly sells fertile eggs, $2 each.

While I was not very impressed by some of his birds he has top quality Rhode Island Reds - the deepest chestnut brown I've ever seen (I bred them for about 5 years) and he said they start to lay at 26 weeks of age which is brilliant. The ones I had needed 8 to 9 months.

His Coronation Sussex are excellent quality, too, and his Golden Laced Wyandotte pullets basically lay an egg per day. However, their lacing isn't particularly tidy - nothing that should put people off unless they are hoping to breed them for showing.

Some of his breeds I know very little of so can't comment on quality. The list is as follows:

Golden Campines
Silver Campines
Black Araucana (tufts not very good but present)
Lavender Araucana (tufts not very good but present)
Dorking
Salmon Faverolle
Coronation Sussex
Light Sussex
Buff Sussex
Rhode Island Red
Golden Laced Wyandottes
Andalusians
Buff Orpington
Plymouth Barred Rocks

I think that's it.

He occasionally sells pullets at reasonable prices but these may have to be ordered and it is strictly pick-up only - this applies to fertile eggs, too.

His contact details are available by pm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 6 months ago #235667 by Seaside
He's in the Belfast area, right? My friend bought some pullets from him earlier this year, she was just after some backyard chooks. She was very happy, huge choice, prices were reasonable, the seller helpful.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
15 years 6 months ago #235692 by Simkin
Yep, Belfast area. I'm glad that there is someone else who knows him and was happy.

More
15 years 6 months ago #235710 by Jo-Otago
Simkin, is it possible to find out where his Coronation Sussex originate from? I'm keen to find some less related lines to cross back over mine but I'm guessing this guy's birds probably originally came from the same breeder as mine...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
15 years 6 months ago #235938 by Inger
Jo-Otago, all the Coronation Sussex in NZ are related. You just have to rotate the breeder that you buy your rooster from. Try Precious Poultry. They can send you eggs.

Simkin, if you want some really dark Rhode Island Red birds, I can send you a dozen eggs. :)

I've noted down the Breeder's contact details and breeds he has. Don't suppose you know if he's got an email address?

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
15 years 6 months ago #235944 by Jo-Otago
Hi Inger, yes I suspected that, but I just figured there was little point getting eggs from a breeder that has relatively recently got eggs from the same breeder that I did, if that makes sense, as they are likely exactly the same lines. Which I'm pretty sure the PP ones are. I am crossing Coro with Lights and then will cross back to Coros to try & mix things up a bit.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

More
15 years 6 months ago #235953 by Simkin
Hi Inger,

I'll send you his email address by pm when I find it - might take a few days as we'll get visitors in half an hour.

Regarding even more fertile eggs: I have to be reasonable - I got 12 eggs from him and that's it for this season (I have decided).

The breeder I met is relatively new to breeding poultry and he hasn't got 'his own lines' yet, but the fertile eggs from his chooks are readily accessible - not like many other breeders who closely guard their chook genetics.

More
15 years 6 months ago #235956 by Inger
Guarding ones genetics is not helpful to the furthering of the breed across New Zealand. I know its all to do with Show competition, but I still think its a bit selfish.

Being able to courier eggs, makes genetics from the other end of the country more accessible.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.

More
15 years 6 months ago #236078 by Precious Poultry
Totally agree with you Simpkin. When we first started out we contacted 'show people' for birds or eggs and were told by alot of them 'no' as they did not want us to compete with them at the shows. We have a different theory and that is if you share them around and heavens forbid a ferret goes through your property, then you have got another source of your stock to contact.

More
15 years 4 months ago #248227 by debnjohn
Hi,
could someone please PM me the contact details for this chook breeder in Belfast please?
Thanks,
John

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen" Albert Einstein

More
15 years 4 months ago #248229 by Simkin
Done :)

More
15 years 4 months ago #248271 by clowder
thanks for conformation simkin.
this guy is great, breeds lovely chooks and my orp cluckie just hatched a doz of his eggs, 100% fertility! a mix of buff orp, light sussex and black araucana. I'll be trying to get more from him if the breeding pens are still a happening thing.

More
15 years 4 months ago #248318 by Inger
I'm looking for Australorp eggs for a guy in Kerikeri. I've got some eggs coming from Precious Poultry, but if there is anyone else with fertile eggs, I'd like to know. The bigger the genetic mix I can find for him, the better. They must be purebreds though and of reasonable quality.

More
15 years 2 months ago #256280 by Christinecb
Would it be possible to get the contact details of the breeder in Belfast?

I'm looking for some faverolle chooks

Christine
Arapawa goats, fallow deer, mixed chooks, indian runner ducks, euro pigs, bengal cats

www.blackrobin.co.nz/blog

More
15 years 2 months ago #256283 by Inger
Hi Christine, I'll send you a private message, with his contact details.

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds