I am wanting someone to ring my piglets please

More
15 years 5 months ago #15408 by michele4
Does anyone know please of anyone in the southland area who would put a ring in my piglets nose.

If you can help i would appreciate it

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 5 months ago #234109 by znt26
I did mine myself and you can do it - you just have to feel not too sorry for the piglet. Here's how we did it as advised by farmer next door. Get on of those grain sacks and cut the corner of it. Place piglet in bag so nose sticks out of cut corner. Stick through wire to pierce and secure. Not the most pleasant of tasks but the bag worked well. I ended up apologising to piglet lots as I was doing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either that or get a vet out who knows what they are doing. Be warned - ask if they have experience with pigs. Our vet said - yep I know what I'm doing. He had absolutely no idea and it was horrendous. Hope that helps. Z

Downsized to a 1600 m2 town section + a very cheap rented 2 acre paddock!
1 Parsons Jack Russel - Phantom
1 Border terrier - Ruby
1 cat - Pip
1 chook - SPCA
2 highland cross beefies - Griffin & Knife & fork!

More
15 years 5 months ago #234186 by Inger
I use the bull-ring type rings and the long-handled applicator. Get some strong person to hold the pig firmly (earplugs/earmuffs are essential) and you put the open ring in position between the nostrils and squeeze very hard until you feel the click. I spray iodine on the ends of the metal ring before inserting it. The interlocking ends should pierce the cartilage and lock together, which is the click you can feel/hear.

It takes practice to get the ring not too far in and not too far out. But don't worry. Most mistakes get eaten in three or four months anyway. :)

Sedatives are not required and I wouldn't use them after the experience I had with our first breeding boar.

Once you put the pig down on the ground the squealing stops and the nose soon heals up (squirt with more iodine if it doesn't). It never seems to stop our young pigs from eating straight after gettinng their noserings inserted.

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.
New Hampshire Red poultry & Dorking poultry. Pilgrim Geese, Appleyard Ducks.
A cat called Pusscat and still looking for another heading dog.

More
15 years 5 months ago #234197 by Isla

I am wanting someone to ring my piglets please

What's their number? :D:D:D:D

Sorry, couldn't help it. [}:)]

More
15 years 5 months ago #234205 by Dream Weaver
Isla, thank goodness someone put it Ha ha That was the first thing I thought of, thought it would be MM to do it first lol.

More
15 years 5 months ago #234209 by Inger
Cheeky you lot. :)

45 hectares between Whangarei and Paparoa. Registered Dexter cattle, Wiltshire sheep - black, white & pied.

More
15 years 5 months ago #234218 by Kiwi303
pity you aren't around nelson, for a sixpack I'd be happy to do it for ya :P we use barbed wire, unwound to individual strands and sharpened on an angle grinder, push through, twist the ends together and snip off the excess.

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
15 years 5 months ago #234230 by witheze
Do it yourself, it's very satisfactious after seeing your paddock ploughed.[^] Beg borrow or steal an applicator and don't be stingy with the rings. three is good![^]

More
15 years 5 months ago #234232 by Inger
You only need one of the big bull-ring type pig rings. They don't rust away like the wire ones do either. Yes they do cost more ($4 each), but if you've ever tried holding down a full grown pig to replace the nose ring, you'd only want to do it once, when they are small enough to hang onto!

More
15 years 5 months ago #234265 by digby
Our kids (14 &16) rung our piglets. They were taught by an expert!

I couldn't watch

Bye
Digby [:)]

More
15 years 5 months ago #234279 by Isla

Kiwi303;210707 wrote: pity you aren't around nelson, for a sixpack I'd be happy to do it for ya :P ...

For a horrible moment I thought I was in that other thread about needing a boar for business time! [:0][}:)]

More
15 years 5 months ago #234293 by Ronney
Michele, after 30 odd years of ringing piglets I've discovered things I like and don't like about the process. I don't like the noise :D but also know that it's the handling that upsets them rather than the ringing. I don't like wire - it takes two people too long to do it, needs two sets of pliars and most of the time it rips out because it gets hooked on something. The large septum rings are too big for weaner pigs and are better left until the pig is older - and then only if the pig is going to be kept long term.

If your looking at keeping pigs on a regular basis, spend a bit of money and buy an applicator and small rings via Shoof - most vets and stock and station agents sell them or will get them in for you. One person can do the job but easier with two. Put 3 rings in across the top of the snout ensuring that they don't go too far back. Definately wear ear muffs. It sounds hard but it isn't.

Cheers,
Ronnie

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds