Ants

More
15 years 7 months ago #14241 by Dream Weaver
Ants was created by Dream Weaver
Ok I know this has been mentioned many times before, but can I have your suggestions on how to kill the buggers?
Our daughter has got so many Ants outside her house and around the section its not funny. She is managing to control them from coming indoors in droves, but I am wondering if there is anything that will really deter the buggas outside. She has tried the gel, ant sand etc. I am going up their later and will rip cord.
so anything else we could try if the rip cord doesn't work???????

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 years 7 months ago #219137 by DiDi
Replied by DiDi on topic Ants
No idea! My Dad used to follow the trails to find the nest and then pour boiling water on it - if that is of any help. I have plenty outside as well but have gradually wittled down the number with boiling water and and the six weeks kill fly spray. All the best.

More
15 years 7 months ago #219152 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Ants
DiDi, thanks for that. I think the entire street must have major problems with Ants. Daughter is on a small section and the fence between them and 2 surrounding houses are coverd in the little buggers so guess its the whole neighbourhood. I will tell her about the boiling water though. Worth a try.

More
15 years 7 months ago #219155 by beedee
Replied by beedee on topic Ants
dont vacuum, they dont like dust.. never had any problems since I lost the machine

More
15 years 7 months ago #219217 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Ants
We had an ant problem, we got someone in to spray inside and under the house, hardly had any last summer.

More
15 years 7 months ago #219220 by Dream Weaver
Replied by Dream Weaver on topic Ants
Might be the thing to do. Our daughter and her partner have recently brought the house. The previous owner did mention he had someone in to exterminate them but didn't say when. Was it expensive to have done Moggy? Being a young couple and having just brought the house things budget wise is tight.

More
15 years 7 months ago #219225 by moggy
Replied by moggy on topic Ants
No it wasn't expensive, around $200 I think, definitely worth it, the previous summer they drove me nuts - getting into food etc

More
13 years 7 months ago #345313 by Westie
Replied by Westie on topic Ants
For the last 21 days I have been topping up feed stations for my ants. There are so many dead ones out on the deck I have to sweep them away but still they come. Using Raid liquid and nearly out. My nicely done up larder is full of them dead and alive but besides the poison there is nothing, repeat, nothing for them to eat.My last bottle of Raid ant liquid lasted 10 years and 4-5 infestations so it has worked in the past with townie ants but these b*stards won't go away.Going to the supermarket today to buy some alternative poisons but I do not have $200 to spend on a professional exterminator.I can't find the nest, they come out of the weatherboards and no idea how they get in my larder either. I have tried watching them till my eyes go blurry but they don't seem to come or go anywhere, they just drink the poison and die and replenish the troops.Any other suggestions apart from what has been mentioned in this thread?Perhaps I got a dud bottle of poison?Seems like I am their servant, topping up the poison stations 3 times a day to make sure they have plenty.

What's that I just stepped in?

More
13 years 7 months ago #345314 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Ants
Westie , had ant probs here to .. i used Mortien Indoor professional spray stuff , sprayed it round bench edges and round all shelf edges in my pantry ... it works :) .. stop the lil buggers for about 4 months at a time :) .. and i think it was only about $29 something
It worked great here :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

More
13 years 7 months ago #345443 by Westie
Sweet, cheers Stu. I bought some Rentokill paste stuff today at the fancy-pants supermarket as PaknSave only had the Raid stuff. They seem to be taking that away with them so maybe there is end in sight. If that does not work I will get the Mortien.Can't belive the numbers of dead ants- like a sea of black. It's a shame I can't find the nest, bet it is a whopper!

More
13 years 7 months ago #345458 by 4trees
Replied by 4trees on topic Ants
Hi, if the area at the edge of the house under the surfeits is dry, put some water on it as the ants don't like wet soil. I purchase a product called "Fendona" from Farmlands, and sprayed the outside of the house and the soil close by and not an ant to be seen, no spiders, and no cluster flies. I missed one tiny spot on the garage and there is one spiders nest there. It is used by hospitals, and can be used indoors as well. I found it excellent, and have used it for the last 4 years. Cheers.

Cheers
http:treeandshrub.co.nz

More
13 years 6 months ago #345968 by Pest Advice
Replied by Pest Advice on topic Ants
Ants

I love them and hate them. I find the social insects fascinating from the biological and behavioral point of view but when they start infesting a home they are a pest. Below is my advice for controlling ants in most circumstances. I am also happy to give direct advice for your particular problem. You can send me a private message by selecting the option from the Pest Advice link in the left column.

Common pest ant species:
  • Darwin's Ant Doleromyrma darwiniana,
  • Argentine Ant Linepithema humile,
  • White Footed Ant Technomyrex difficilis (previously albipes) and
  • NZ Native Chelaner antarcticus
Ants, along with Bees, Wasps and Termites are social insects and are dependent on each other for their survival. Ant colonies contain at least 3 castes (some have a fourth caste of soldier ants):
  • Queens - which are fertilised females after the wings are cast off
  • Males – short lived often with wings to take part in nuptial flights with females that become queens
  • Workers - usually sterile females comprising the bulk of the colony.
Invasive Ants such as Argentine Ants are more than just a nuisance pest. They are also a threat to New Zealand's biodiversity as they attack and eliminate other insects and invertebrates when they move into a new area.

As nuisance pests ants can cause electrical and electronic faults when they get into equipment such as switch gear, exchanges and computers, they can contaminate food stuffs, and damage garden plants.

Ant colonies will often combine during Winter and separate again in Summer. During Midsummer - late Autumn, swarms of winged males and females of many species take off on nuptial flights. After their nuptials the ants fall to the ground, the males perish and the fertilised females, now queens, cast their wings and crawl off in search of locations for the establishment of new colonies.

Excavating a cavity below stones or trees, the new Queen begins laying her first eggs tending them through the larvae and pupal stages. Eventually, as the new workers emerge, the Queen is relieved of all her work duties and becomes an egg-laying ‘machine’, supported totally by the new workers.

More info below......

HOW TO CONTROL ANTS

Note: There are additional instructions for Argentine Ants here.

The ‘tricks’ to getting rid of ants are to eliminate the nests by killing the queens and to deny ants access to nest sites and the parts of your home and garden where they cause a nuisance.
  • Search - The queens of most species remain in the nest producing eggs and only venture out when moving to set up a new nest. The queens of Argentines are an exception in that they will also forage for food with the workers. This makes Argentines more invasive as the queens can be spread by being transported on vehicles, plants, boxes and goods of all sorts.
    In most cases the nest(s) will be in warm, dry sandy soil, often under a rock, paving stone, driveway etc. The position of the nest might be given away by a stream of worker ants going back and forth into a hole in the ground. Do not spray this entrance with insecticide yet. Spraying might serve only to induce the colony to leave and set up a nest or nests elsewhere and spread the problem.
  • 'Kill the queen/s' - First use bait. Workers feed on the bait and take it back to the nest to feed the queen(s) and larvae. Use many small amounts of bait where you see ants or have seen them in the past. NO Ants Gel Bait contain a high protein gel bait while NO Ants Liquid Bait is higher in sweet carbohydrate. Ants change their feeding habits depending on the requirements of the nest. If the Gel is not being taken, try the liquid bait and vice versa. Argentines tend to prefer the higher protein bait.
    Ants are very sensitive to strong chemicals. All dishes or containers used to hold bait should be rinsed well with clean water and dried before use.
    Replenish the bait regularly until you see no more (or very few) insects feeding. Only then should you use spray insecticide to eradicate the nests and to act as a barrier to further infestation.
    Note: White Footed Ants are less susceptible to baits as they do not feed it directly to rest of the colony. They process food and produce a sweet secretion which they feed queens and larvae with. Thus they may have filtered out the toxin or have died before having a chance to pass it on. However, it is still worthwhile baiting first when treating.
  • Stop them with barriers – it is the trails of worker ants getting into your home, other building or onto your deck that are usually the nuisance caused by ants. NO Ants spray or a general insecticide such as NO Bugs Super can be used to spray the nest sites after baiting and to spray around your house to prevent ants pestering you. NO Ants and NO Bugs surface sprays will kill ants that cross the treated surfaces but will also act as a barrier. Many trailing ant species will detect the insecticide and avoid it. Kiwicare Organic NO Ants Barrier is a non-insecticidal natural product that does not kill ants but can be used around the home to prevent ants moving in. Use it as an ant barrier.
    Note: Some ant species, particularly White Footed ants climb trees and walls, so check for trails going up surfaces and spray or paint barriers around the trunks of trees and plants close to the building and walls.
    Some ants such as Argentine Ants 'farm' aphids and scale insects for sweet secretions and it worth treating your plants with suitable garden insecticides to control these sap sucking plant pests and deny the ants their food supply.
  • Deny them a nest site – NO Ants Outdoors* and Ant Sand are formulated to deny ants the places they would set up a nest. NO Ants Outdoors can be sprinkled on flowerbeds and gravel pathways around the home. When watered in it penetrates the soil killing nests and acting as a ‘curtain’ barrier to prevent workers burrowing their way into your home. NO Ants Ant Sand can be brushed into the cracks and crevices in paving and driveways to kill nests and prevent ants using these places for nests.
*An excellent alternative to NO Ants Outdoors is NO Insects Lawngard Prills from the Kiwicare Garden Range.

Good luck. Remember, you can get rid of ants from your house and the surrounding garden but to keep them away you need to keep barriers in place. If you have ants, your neighbouring property is also likely to have ants.

The Pest Advice

More
13 years 6 months ago #346309 by Westie
Thanks for that PA,
I did notice a few weeks before this happened that there were heaps of dead winged ants- well at the time I thought they were sand flies or something- on my window ledges.
The Rentokill stuff I bought has not really worked, they are not interested it it, plus when I used it I squeezed the tube and a nice wee glob dropped into my tray, the rest of the tube blew out the back and onto the floor- what a flippin' awesome product that is!!
Be sure I will be dialling 0800 I WANT MY FLIPPIN' MONEY BACK!

One of our fine members is sending me a recipe for some ant bait, will give that a try.

I thought I had got on top of it for a minute because there seemed to be very few around until I moved a sachet of coffee in the larder, and there was a couple of hunded ants behind it waiting for me to top up the nearby bait station. Blimey! I'm running a bleeding resturant, most popular place in town. Please wait behind the rope until you can be seated, VIP ants take the door to the right.

The ants don't seem to be carrying anything anywhere, they drink, they wander around aimlessly, then they have another drink and then continue to stagger around- kinda like Pommy tourists at Ibiza. I have had a little talk to them about sharing and feeding the nest but they will have none of it.
"More drinkie, less talkie" they say.

More
13 years 6 months ago #346312 by Westie
I had to post a gratitous ant picture.
The dead mass on the shelf were the ones hiding behind the coffee sachet- I sprayed those varmints as it was an opportunity too good to miss. Below that is my bait station with the green goo being the Rentokill stuff and there are some drops of the Raid poison which is clear- they like that the best. The rest is dead ones, they are everywhere in the larder, on the deck, in the sunroom, falling out of the ceiling and filling the bathtub, everywhere!

Attached files
File Attachment:

More
13 years 6 months ago #346313 by Stu_R
Replied by Stu_R on topic Ants
:) Westie ... another idea ...lol lol put out some bourbon n coke in a tray , get the lil buggers piseed and smack when they cant run lol lol
nah mate i used the mortien spray stuff ... worked great, and kept them outa my cupboards ond off mybenches for about 4 months at a time
The $29 something it cost me for the pack was cheap, as that pack lasted 2 1/2 years here in my place ... just spray round bench edges and shelf edges once evry 4 months :)

5 retired Greyhounds ( Bridgette , Lilly, GoGo,Sam and now Lenny) 15 friendly sheep all of whom are named and come when you call them :) , 2 goats, Mollie and Eee Bee :
Olive trees , .. old bugger doing the best he can with no money or land :)

Time to create page: 0.147 seconds