Wiltshire sheep - good sheep for a beginner?

More
9 years 4 months ago #499108 by ravenseyes
I have 5 Wiltshire lambs for sale near Hamilton 4 rams and 1 girl. Born late Aug early Sept and all were twins. Their mothers are Tigger's girls and the sire ram is a Hayes/Arvidson. Parents are all 100% shedders

Brave Words. I've heard them before from thousands of species across thousands of worlds, since long before you were created, but now, they are all Borg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 4 months ago #499110 by John M
Where are you based AprilB?

John

Breeding black Wiltshire shedding sheep.

Full shedding, easy care, good feet, easy lambing and good mothering is what it takes to make the breeding cut!

• Tanz0272
8 years 8 months ago #510853 by Tanz0272
Replied by Tanz0272 on topic Wiltshire sheep - good sheep for a beginner?
Hi there,

I'm in the Bay of Islands; anyone around here breed them that you would recommend?

More
8 years 8 months ago #510969 by manymules
INGER on here. She's out beyond Russell. There is a man towards Kaikohe that she put me onto a couple of years ago,but I've forgotten who. Maybe she'll pop in and remind us. I see wiltshires being advertised on TM that appears to be Whangarei based but it keeps saying sheep are in Keri. I know nothing about those ones though.

Learning a little bit every day. Loving life. [:D]

More
8 years 8 months ago #510974 by Deanna
We are well into our 3rd lambing with Wiltshires. Love them to bits. Usually we have 25 at a minimum. No fly strike, no foot problems, no worm problems and beautiful and docile. They came as ewe lambs off a big farm too. Sheep nut training helps, but they were very easy to handle even before we started that. We had 12 Suffok Xs to compare, never again. Ate them as fast as we could. Mad bitches. We are working up to them all being non shedders.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
8 years 8 months ago #510989 by muri
The generalisation I make about wiltshires is they are not easy to manage compared with my other sheep.
They are independent thinkers that dont think with a group mentality. All my sheep go into the pens easily but not the wiltshires.
I also find them very reactive and jumpy, and scatter quickly without my seeing the reason for it
They have come from different places so different lineages but are all fine with coming to nuts, so they should be a lot quieter than they are.
But they have no parallel when it comes to coping well with wet boggy and swampy land and can go in the worst areas and their feet are still good which is why I am cross- breeding them into other sheep to get the best of their physical qualities and trying to cancel out their personality traits.
I also prefer smaller sheep, my wiltshires are too fat and dumpy, whereas my finer boned breeds dont turn to lard so easily.

More
8 years 8 months ago #511131 by akela
I am in need of downsizing my flock this year - so I will have some older ewes available if people are interest in proven full shedding ewes that have faithfully lambed every year - usually twins, with no need for assistance.
Based in Te Awamutu / Pirongia region in the Waikato
Regards
Julie

More
8 years 8 months ago #511132 by akela
Ravenseyes- I think you will find the ram is an Akela ram with his breeding going back to Hayes and Arvidson!
He's one of mine!

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds