Has anyone grown ginger roots

More
9 years 5 months ago #38746 by sarniagirl
Has anyone grown ginger roots.Saw an article on trying to get it to grow from shop bought ginger cant remember how.Any ideas?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 5 months ago #498360 by kernels
Hi madam!

When we lived on the north shore, I grew some shop-bought ginger in one of my raised beds. Can't remember doing anything special, just washed it off properly, broke it into bits and put it in on of my raised beds.

It never really thrived in the partial shade where I had it, and any cold weather would knock it back heavily.

I think if I were to try it again, I would put it in a greenhouse or even better, a cloche so you can get the humidity up a bit.

More
9 years 5 months ago #498363 by Anakei
I grew it when I lived in Auckland.
Look for organic ginger or a root that already has a sprouting eye on it. I had several goes before I got one to grow. Put in a sheltered spot that doesn't get afternoon sun in the warmest part of the garden. It likes a rich soil so give it a good potting mix or plenty of compost. Kernels is right, a greenhouse or cloche would be ideal to give it a bit more heat and don't let it dry out. Harvest when the foliage has died down. You can grow turmeric and galangal in the same way.
Good luck :)

Urban mini farmer and guerilla gardener

More
9 years 5 months ago #498367 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Has anyone grown ginger roots
Yes I grow a lot of ginger, keep myself in supply. I have quite a large bed of it, it is the Chinese Yellow ginger which I have had for a number of years. It has not come up yet this year as it has not been warm enough.
I grow it inside my plant house.
I also grow the myoga/myogi ginger which would have a much larger growing regime than around auckland. You actually eat the flowers which are at the soil level, the roots in stir fry and I make ginger tea out of the leaves. Not as potent as true ginger but could be grown probably through out nz. Also shade loving, it comes from Japan where it is found along shady river banks

More
9 years 4 months ago #498672 by muri
My ginger has started to come up this week, must be getting warm enough. Sarniagirl if you are down this way you can swing by and get a plant from me

More
9 years 4 months ago #498697 by Aquila
I married my ginger root, Now the ex.......

More
9 years 4 months ago #498727 by Belle Bosse
I did have Thai Ginger (from vege section in supermarket) growing in a planter bag but Im not sure if last winter knocked it out with frosts and -3C mornings, or if it is slow to respond to the warmth of spring... been a pretty cool spring this year! Will have to check on that...

I did nothing special when I planted it... the root was showing signs of sprouting in the kitchen, so I just stuck it in the planter bag of potting mix. It did really well until its first winter when it vanished until late spring. It grew to about 30 cm tall by the time its second winter set in. No signs of it yet...

When the small glass house gets built, I'm hoping to grow my own supply of Galangal, Ginger and Tumeric and some other tropical plants.

More
9 years 4 months ago #498770 by Hasbeen
I have tried it several times. Very wealk shoots & then they fall over the moment it gets too cool or too dry. Need humid climate i think

Recovering Lifestyler

More
9 years 4 months ago #498793 by muri
No, I dont think its humidity they need but warmth. Mine are good strong plants once they come up and its not subtropical at all at the moment and we dont really get the humidity until about january feb. Its possibly just not warm enough or strong enough plants?

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds