Cheese - Milk Quantities

More
9 years 9 months ago #37945 by Escargo
My first cheese questions...
Having made all the basic cheeses (feta, haloumi, ricotta etc) and branched out and made camembert quite successfully ... I am now ready to progress to a semi-hard cheese. I have some lovely books from the library, but all the recipes I find are for huge quantities (and in gallons which I need to convert) often up to 8 Litres.
My question is does it have any effect on the end product if I was to make a half recipe.
Also finding it hard to know what mould or what size mould to use for the quantity of milk. Often the recipes just say "pour curds into muslin cloth lined mould" ... okay but what size and what shape.
Does the shape make any difference ??
:confused::confused::confused:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490242 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
You just need a smaller mold, otherwise the cheeses end up being too thin and therefore go too hard.

Stephan uses a 6 inch mold which fits seven litres' worth easily - and that's the thing: it takes quite a lot of milk to make the curds for the cheese.

Where do you get your milk? We have an easy 7 litres from each morning's milking, so it's no big deal to make a cheese.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490245 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
Our mould is a short length of 200mm diameter uPVC pressure sewer pipe. We don't use a cloth in the mould. The limiting factor for us is the weight of the inner pot of the double boiler when full of milk. Our double boiler is made from the largest size stainless steel stockpot available from The Warehouse with a slightly smaller one inside it. We use this on a single stand-alone electric hotplate as it is too heavy to use on the electric range without causing permanent damage to the hob.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490254 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
For a small hard cheese, best to use a mould that will leave you with a round of cheese that is no less than 3 inches thick. Then you won't have it drying out as Ruth mentioned. All sorts of things you can use for moulds, just make sure they can take the pressure of the press you're using. If you leave too much whey in a cheese to be aged, it will sour and spoil the flavour of your cheese.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490256 by Escargo
Replied by Escargo on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
I have to buy my milk. I use Hohepa (in Hawke's Bay) raw milk or I can buy Origin Earth raw milk just across the road at the local coffee shop.
I would love to have a cow - but I don't think the neighbours would appreciate it too much ! :D :D

More
9 years 9 months ago #490281 by Escargo
So how do I know what size mould to use for the quantity of milk I am using. Say I need 8L of milk, then what size mould would I use. I don't want to get to the stage where it goes into the mould and find my mould is too small.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490282 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
Bigger than a six inch one, by our experience.

More
9 years 9 months ago #490298 by Andrea1
Replied by Andrea1 on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
Depends on whether you are using cow's milk or goat's milk. YOu will almost always have a higher solid yield from cow over goat. What works for me with 7L of goat milk only needs 5.5L cow milk (I'm specifically thinking of a manchego now, which calls for 8L goat or sheep milk). It's not really a cow milk cheese, but you get my meaning I hope. I will measure my moulds when I get in from chores... but if I don't remember, feel free to yell at me....

More
9 years 9 months ago #490330 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
I just made one with 8L of milk: the mould i used is 12cm high and 16cm in diameter and the cheese is now 5 cm high :)

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
9 years 9 months ago #490368 by Escargo
Thank you, big help. I now have an idea of what I need to look for.
This weekend as a starter I am making a mushroom infused camembert ... I like to aim for different cheeses. Next on the list is my whisky infused irish cheddar to satisfy my husband and 91 year old father who are both whiskey drinkers (that's what I need the mould for) ... wish me luck. :) :)

More
9 years 9 months ago #490370 by Escargo
Hey kaumea ... I see you live in Hastings ... I am in Clive ... not too far away from you !!

More
9 years 9 months ago #490405 by kaumea
Replied by kaumea on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
yes we moved here a few months ago :)

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
9 years 9 months ago #490487 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Cheese - Milk Quantities
Escargo, I would suggest that you keep the whiskey, or whisky, away from the cheese, so that the cheese mould works properly, and so you don't waste the whiskey, or whisky. I suspect the whiskey will disappear in the whey. Then when the cheese is ripe, drink the whiskey and eat the plain cheese :-)

More
9 years 9 months ago #490509 by Escargo
Thank you for that. I might just make another one I found - a chive cheddar - that would go nicely with the whisky - thanks.

Time to create page: 0.139 seconds