Can you eat Maize?

More
10 years 2 months ago #37009 by smurfette
Can you eat Maize? was created by smurfette
My kid's asked me this question yesterday and I really don't know the answer. :confused:I'm sure years ago when we were on the farm, the neighbour gave us some corn and hubby said it was maize but I couldn't tell the difference. They asked this because we have paddocks of it next door and they get it for the chooks..shhhh[:I]

I did a 'search' on here but found nothing :)

I'll keep that. It will come in handy one day.:D:D:D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 2 months ago #480997 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Can you eat Maize?
Short answer is yes, if it is young when you pick it, but don't expect it to taste like sweet corn. If you wait until it is older, you can dry it and make polenta which is rather a nice "porridge"

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #481000 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Can you eat Maize?
maize and corn are two words for the same plant. corn may also be used to refer to other plants such as wheat or the staple of the area but maize always refers to what in NZ is called sweetcorn. There is a kind of maize which is used to extract oil from in the US (I forget the name, and I really should know it having worked for NIR grain analyser company) which is possibly what you are thinking it might be. However that stuff has much bigger kernels. If it looked like sweetcorn, then it was sweetcorn.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481005 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Can you eat Maize?

maize and corn are two words for the same plant. corn may also be used to refer to other plants such as wheat or the staple of the area but maize always refers to what in NZ is called sweetcorn.

Yes I agree they are names for the same plant, but usually applied to plants specifically bred for different purposes.

The maize which is grown for stock feed in NZ, either when dried on the plant and harvested as the dry kernels, or harvested and chopped up for maize silage while still green-is more commonly known as maize-not sweet corn. I'm sure the farmers don't refer to their cow feed as sweet corn silage!

There are a multitude of varieties for those suited as stock food, all with differing attributes, none of which are particularly directed for human consumption as has been said!

The varieties grown in the home garden, more specifically for their sweet and tender kernels are those more likely to be called 'sweet corn'

Whilst you can eat the types more typically grown for stock food and known as maize, the home garden types are tastier.
In the States maize is more commonly called yellow corn, for stock feed. It is really a matter of where you live and what use it is planted for.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481009 by kai

Sue;484709 wrote: Yes I agree they are names for the same plant, but usually applied to plants specifically bred for different purposes.

The maize which is grown for stock feed in NZ, either when dried on the plant and harvested as the dry kernels, or harvested and chopped up for maize silage while still green-is more commonly known as maize-not sweet corn. I'm sure the farmers don't refer to their cow feed as sweet corn silage!

Nah, too many syllables for kiwis to use :D

tbh it really depends who you are talking to at the time. In the UK I would use the word maize when I wanted to specifically distinguish between the corn in the field (wheat/barley) and the big yellow stuff. I also remember buying tins of sweetcorn labelled maize as well many years ago. And I really wish I could remember the word that was used in America, as I got very abruptly told off for using the word corn.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481014 by Stikkibeek
Replied by Stikkibeek on topic Can you eat Maize?

kai;484704 wrote: maize and corn are two words for the same plant. corn may also be used to refer to other plants such as wheat or the staple of the area but maize always refers to what in NZ is called sweetcorn.

Oh dear, you Poms need to get your colloquial terms right! [}:)] Maize is maize and sweet corn is sweet corn, and never the twain shall meet! Maize is larger kernel, starchier and not sweet at all, and is grown almost exclusively for stock feed but also cornmeal (as in, for cooking). Whether that means leaving to harvest the grain or cut green for silage, it is all maize. It can be eaten young as I already said above.
Sweetcorn is the stuff you either buy in the supermarket at this time of the year, or grow in your home garden as a vegetable. It is smaller, sweeter comes in various named types, (Honey & Pearl etc) and if you have pukekos look out! You'll be lucky to get any once the word goes out. Both are types of corn, as is the popping sort which is also fun to grow if you have young kids..

As for those Americans, well, they do have some strange words for things we know as something else entirely.

Did you know, that what you thought I said, was not what I meant :S

More
10 years 2 months ago #481019 by kai

Stikkibeek;484718 wrote: Oh dear, you Poms need to get your colloquial terms right! [}:)] .

Just as soon as those in the colonies, learn theirs :D

More
10 years 2 months ago #481048 by smurfette
Replied by smurfette on topic Can you eat Maize?
Thanks heaps everyone. I'll try some tomorrow and let you know how it tastes as it is still young.
Ps, I think I have learnt some new words too lol

More
10 years 2 months ago #481050 by smurfette
kai...you will remember that word at 2 am in the morning lol

More
10 years 2 months ago #481070 by Aquila
Replied by Aquila on topic Can you eat Maize?
Can you eat it? Yep, Is it any good for you, or taste nice is a different story

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

More
10 years 2 months ago #481143 by Kiwi Tussock
Replied by Kiwi Tussock on topic Can you eat Maize?
I've had maize in the Philippines and it was wonderful. They process it someway (as only those wonderful and hard working Filipinas can) and it was deliciously sweet and made into several different dishes and snack type treats. Mind you, they call anything that comes from any white mans country as being Americano and although the raw cob looked like maize with its large kernels, it was likely to have been an off shoot and may well have been a sweet corn of sort. But still, it was always called maize and thought of as being from American and indeed looked much more like maize that I remember on our parents farm in HB than our veg garden's Honey Pearl.
So can you eat maize, to me, it depends on what country your in & what the cooks do with it.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481153 by Cigar
Replied by Cigar on topic Can you eat Maize?
Sweetcorn are cultivars of maize that have been bred to contain more sugars rather than starch. You can probably taste the difference when both are fresh, but the sugars in sweetcorn start converting to starch once picked, so you may not be able to taste the difference between fresh maize and several-day-old supermarket sweetcorn.

More
10 years 2 months ago #481157 by lars arsbjorn
Replied by lars arsbjorn on topic Can you eat Maize?
Ja you can consummate healthy

ha det bra, adjø
Lars

( i am from the Scandinavian my translation poorest in english)

More
10 years 2 months ago #481348 by Belle Bosse
Replied by Belle Bosse on topic Can you eat Maize?
Yes you can eat maize... a wonderful chewy experience if allowed to reach maturity, lol.
As a kid in PNG, maize was the only corn we had available. Mum usually tried to get the youngest corn she could find. Occasionally the nationals would share their maize with us straight from the open fire... still in husk and roasted in the hot coals... yum...

More
10 years 2 months ago #481377 by smurfette
Thanks everyone. Well we went away for the weekend and those of you here will know that it was a really sweltering day on Sat so when we got some today it was rather dried out. Picked some anyway and this lot when broken in half have a red colour to the inside of the cob. When cooking, it went a deep orangey colour. Tasted a kernel and yummy, was a bit on the hard side but really sweet. Next time will get it a bit sooner in the season.
Maybe I'll cook and blitz this lot and add to meals.

Time to create page: 0.137 seconds