Home made sausages

More
10 years 3 months ago #36784 by rivercottage
I got a Mad Millie sausage making kit for Christmas :) :) :) very pleased. I made actual sausages yay! :D Actually 2 pairs of hands works better so I should say WE made sausages. Quite easy, superb result, much cheaper than buying good sausages.

I like Blackball sausages and they are ummm please no lawsuits but I'm pretty sure around $23.95 per kilo. You are paying for the labour involved, so if it is your labour (free) you can spend your money on the ingredients.

Kit consists of an old-fashioned mincer with attachments for sausage-stuffing and a pack of sausage casings enough for 6kg of sausages (hope I remembered that right). You can get all sorts on the web but it was nice to have a kit that I could get started right away. Of course, you can also use the mincer for other things unrelated to sausages e.g. I have some rib eye steak that is too fatty to eat as steak, and I can make that into gourmet burgers.

Happy eating everyone

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 3 months ago #478737 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Home made sausages
Wish you had some pictures, sounds great. My daughter makes them with my old cake mixer and a sausage attachment, that I never took out the box. Otherwise I'd look at your idea. Well done, I bet they are tasty too. I don't eat meat, but have 4 big meat eaters in the house.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 3 months ago #478747 by EV
Replied by EV on topic Home made sausages
Yum! So much more filling than supermarket ones. I have a big appetite but feel stuffed after one or two 'real' sausages. And the flavour possibilities are endless!

More
10 years 3 months ago #478749 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Home made sausages
My favourite way of serving them, cooked, split, filled with creamy mashed potato with finely chopped onion in it, topped with grated tasty cheese, grilled and served with a slice of beetroot!

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 3 months ago #478818 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic Home made sausages

Deanna;482209 wrote: My favourite way of serving them, cooked, split, filled with creamy mashed potato with finely chopped onion in it, topped with grated tasty cheese, grilled and served with a slice of beetroot!

* then wrapped in bacon, pinned, with flaked jalapeno and more cheese, grilled.
i call them "heart attacks"

cheers
rob

More
10 years 3 months ago #478824 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Home made sausages
I have made my own sausages for years.
Most manufacturing butchers will sell you casings.
When I am out of casings I make home made bread crumbs & crumb the sausages pack & freeze.
Wonderful to be able to eat sausages & know what's in them

Recovering Lifestyler

More
10 years 3 months ago #479214 by kai
Replied by kai on topic Home made sausages

Hasbeen;482290 wrote: I have made my own sausages for years.
Most manufacturing butchers will sell you casings.

I just buy a whole hank from a butchers suppliers, split it down and freeze.

Time to create page: 0.120 seconds