Soapmaking

More
10 years 4 months ago #36662 by shad297
Soapmaking was created by shad297
Started soapmaking last week, something I've wanted to do for years. Well I finally got organised and read lots of books, watched lots of videos online and read and then read some more until my brain was overloaded ha ha!
Anyway my first two batches were hot process in my crockpot and very successful. The first was just two oils, coconut and olive with of course the sodium hydroxide to saponify the oils because you can't make soap without it. That one came out pale green. The second one I added some pink clay and some rose geranium oil and is really nice and I'm using already as it doesn't need curing although it is recommended for a few days to harden it up a bit.
The third attempt was cold process which is much quicker to do but of course needs 4-6 weeks to cure. This recipe used coconut, olive and rice bran oil and is just plain so that I can get a feel for the process. It came to trace very quickly.
I have taken some pics but not sure if I will be successful in posting so will have to wait.
I'm going to have another go at the third recipe using green clay and rosemary essential oil. I got all my equipment from opshops and bought a couple of things from Go Native. It was really good fun and I want to do more, probably have to wait till after Christmas though.
I'm also going to have a go using tallow (as well as other oils) as apparently that makes for a long lasting soap and try and do swirly stuff and try and get a bit creative.
Has anyone else made soap from scratch?

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 4 months ago #477490 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic Soapmaking
sounds neat, who supplies you sodium hydroxide?
Try one with oats in it. Oats are delicious... Also, if you want to have a crack at a shave soap, ill be a willing lab rat!

cheers
rob

More
10 years 4 months ago #477493 by shad297
Replied by shad297 on topic Soapmaking
I got mine from Go Native - a product that definitely has to be treated with respect as opposed to fear. I mix mine outside with goggles, gloves etc and don't breathe in the fumes, gets very hot.
Actually talking of shaving soap, I had some bits of soap leftover in the crockpot and scraped them out, melted them with a bit of water, added some cocoa butter and added it to the container of shaving soap my husband was using and it works really well.
For shaving I would say you need a 'superfatted' soap whereby after saponification takes place you add a little extra oil like castor, shea butter etc and that doesn't get 'eaten' by the lye and just stays in the soap as is - if you see what I mean. Has to be calculated in though using a lye calculator which is a very useful tool. Lots of soapmakers make this type of soap as it is extra moisturising to the skin.
Yes I am going to make one with oats at some stage when I've got the basics down.
I'll keep you in mind zellakanzx.

Husband, two teenagers, Stanley & Jed the greyhounds, one quail (Hawkefrost), one budgie (Chaos) small productive surburban section.

More
10 years 4 months ago #477497 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Soapmaking
I'd be really keen to follow your progress, as its something I am dying to do. Photos would be great be step by step process would be awesome, if you have the time. Like you, I read and read, and couldn't decide what were the best ideas. Good on you.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 4 months ago #477499 by shad297
Hi Deanna, I won't post step by step photos as there are plenty of those on the internet, mostly very good. Soap Queen has some brilliant ones, can post those links later as I'm just popping out to help a friend choose a puppy.
I am taking pics of all my soaps though.
Happy to post the recipes I've used.

More
10 years 4 months ago #477504 by funnyfarm331
Replied by funnyfarm331 on topic Soapmaking
When I started soap making I bought Anne Watson's book 'Smart Soapmaking' and found it great. She has a superb Almond Facial Soap recipe and we have found her Shea Butter Supreme Soap great as well - good for shaving with.

The recipe is 298g coconut oil, 298g olive oil, 255g shea butter, 227g distilled water and 119g lye.

If anyone wants the temp range to heat oils to etc let me know.

Would love to hear if anyone has a good soap recipe using oatmeal.

More
10 years 4 months ago #477507 by shad297
funnyfarm I like your soap recipe. I've yet to use shea butter in any of my recipes as it is quite pricey and I am just starting out, however I will be putting in an order with one of the suppliers soon.
This is a great place to start for anyone interested and is really professionally done.
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAADF6209996265D2
Lots of instructional videos to get the basics down then she goes on to the more advanced stuff.
My husband is making me a soapcutter for Xmas so I can cut the bars into uniform sizes. I'm rubbish at cutting straight.
For the distilled water part of the recipe I've been using rainwater that I've strained through muslin and so far so good. I think I can buy distilled water from Supercheap Autos or maybe I should just use spring water from the supermarket? not sure. Apparently tap water is a no no due to the other things in it that can possibly react with the lye?? has anyone else done this.
I've been using Pomace olive oil (it's cheap in 3 litre cans) and refined coconut oil and rice bran from my bulk bin supplier. I've heard that some olive pressing places have olive oil that is not 'quite up to standard' and you can use too if they are willing to give away cheap and you have a suitable container.

More
10 years 4 months ago #477514 by zellakanzx
was just wondering as its used in biodiesel, but requires a fairly pure, uncut source to save a hundred filtrations.

May aswell make this a soap recipe thread! Post it up ff331

cheers
rob

More
10 years 3 months ago #477844 by Hasbeen
Replied by Hasbeen on topic Soapmaking
I would be very interested in anyone making carbolic soap.

Over my lifetime I have never had a stomach bug come into the house that infected another person.

I put that down to the fact that the moment anyone got sick I put carbolic soap in all the hand washing places.
Years ago I bought about 12 long bars that you could cut blocks off, from the local Stock & Station place.

I ran out about 5 years ago & can't find it anywhere in NZ.

Recovering Lifestyler

More
10 years 3 months ago #477852 by zellakanzx

Hasbeen;481202 wrote: I would be very interested in anyone making carbolic soap.

Over my lifetime I have never had a stomach bug come into the house that infected another person.

I put that down to the fact that the moment anyone got sick I put carbolic soap in all the hand washing places.
Years ago I bought about 12 long bars that you could cut blocks off, from the local Stock & Station place.

I ran out about 5 years ago & can't find it anywhere in NZ.

thats some potent sh't!
Try the redcross... For some reason i relate it to them (its red, maybe)
or perhaps something like pinetarsol? Chemist...

cheers
rob

More
10 years 3 months ago #477855 by shad297
I see you can buy in UK
www.carbolicsoap.com/
also available from eBay and apparently commonly available in Jamaica. It said in the info I read that it was 'mildly antiseptic'. I'm not sure that I remember it but I do remember my grandparents in UK always had Coal Tar soap in their house and it was fairly pongy compared to the Lifebuoy we had in our house.
You are correct and that it is always red or pink in colour....don't think I'll be making that though, sounds a bit scary. Would Tea Tree work maybe?
BTW made another batch of soap 2 days ago, this time Chocolate Sandalwood. I coloured half of it with cocoa powder and then scented the rest and poured it in mould in layers, now I have it curing on racks the Engineer made me out of old mesh window frames. I am going to try another batch of something else later in the week, something with either tallow or lard in it and maybe lavender fragrance. Animal fats make it (cheaper?) very hard and moisturising. I am taking photos of each batch and keeping notes. I can't load pics onto here though because it only gives you a 'url' option and not a 'from you computer' that I know other sites do.

More
10 years 3 months ago #477857 by Deanna
I love Tea Tree, and would love it in a soap, I've used Tea Tree shampoo too. I am so envying your soap making, and would love to try, just don't know where to start. Like a simple one to start with, and what to buy, I think I like the sound of the stuff that has to cure. I know that's not the simplest method, I don't think.

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 3 months ago #477859 by zellakanzx

shad297;481214 wrote: I am taking photos of each batch and keeping notes. I can't load pics onto here though because it only gives you a 'url' option and not a 'from you computer' that I know other sites do.

underneath a "reply to thread" you'll find "ATTACHMENTS", and "manage attachments", click that and you can "choose" file from computer and "upload"

one at a time, so it's a bit PITA, but it'll get some pics up, i'm keen to see.

cheers
rob

More
10 years 3 months ago #477860 by eelcat
Replied by eelcat on topic Soapmaking

Deanna;481217 wrote: I love Tea Tree, and would love it in a soap, I've used Tea Tree shampoo too. I am so envying your soap making, and would love to try, just don't know where to start. Like a simple one to start with, and what to buy, I think I like the sound of the stuff that has to cure. I know that's not the simplest method, I don't think.

The first time I made soap I bought a kit from GO Native. They come with full instructions. After that I bought any ingredients I wanted and used recipes I found on the internet. It is very satisfying making soap.

1 Border collie, 1 Huntaway, 2 Lhasa Apsos, Suffolk and arapawa ewe crosses, an Arapawa ram,an East Friesian ewe , 5 cats, 42 ducks , 1 rooster and 30 hens, 5 geese, 12 goats, 2 donkeys, 2 house cows, one heifer calf, one bull calf, 3 rabbits and lots and lots and lots of fruit trees...

More
10 years 3 months ago #477861 by Deanna
That sounds like a good plan, will go and look for kits for the cold press soap, whoops almost said soup!

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds