Orange berry

More
10 years 5 months ago #36343 by Francesca
Orange berry was created by Francesca
I've just purchased 2 x orange berry plants, and planned to put them under a fruit tree to provide ground cover and fruit. However, I've just read Mark Jury's warning on jury.co.nz/2009/04/09/death-to-the-orangeberry-plant/ . This is scarey! Has anyone else had experience with these plants?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474310 by muri
Replied by muri on topic Orange berry
I think someone was trying to be a bit smart alec with that article.
I grow the plant and have had it for years with nothing like the rampant growth he is talking about.
Certainly it is very shy to fruit and is not a really berry as we know berries but the article is definitely over the top. Its a nice little plant and makes a great ground cover

More
10 years 5 months ago #474313 by Murray100
Replied by Murray100 on topic Orange berry
We have it growing in clay (Nelson area) to stabilize clay banks. Plants put in about 3 years ago have spread to about 1M diameter. An older plant, probably about 7-8 years old is covering about 5M -10M diameter. It is growing quite fast but you could hardly describe it as invasive - not invasive enough in fact! Because it takes root over the full area it covers it is fantastic to stabilize the banks. It is easy to contain with an annual trim. It seems to spread above ground and then take root (with a dense root system once it does) and so it isn't like mint or other root invasive plants. I have had no trouble limiting it's growth along paths.

We do get quite a lot of fruit but it is hard to spot as they are small - about 5mm - and the birds get them if you aren't fast. They aren't strong flavour (mild raspberry) but quite nice, but probably as they are smaller they crumble more easily than a raspberry and so are harder to gather.

More
10 years 5 months ago #474317 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Orange berry
Abby Jury is a bit of a drama queen - her utterances need to be taken with a grain of salt[;)].
I've had orange berries, and have managed to loose them under the weeds twice[:I] - so I would not worry too much [8D]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 5 months ago #474324 by Organix
Replied by Organix on topic Orange berry

Blueberry;477298 wrote: Abby Jury is a bit of a drama queen - her utterances need to be taken with a grain of salt[;)].

+1

Harm Less Solutions.co.nz
NZ & AU distributor of Eco Wood Treatment stains and Bambu Dru bamboo fabrics and clothing

More
10 years 5 months ago #474330 by zellakanzx
Replied by zellakanzx on topic Orange berry
from taiwan. Apparently set fruit better when roots are constrained (pots) and dry ish.
have a few (6months), still watching...

cheers
rob

More
10 years 5 months ago #474338 by greenfingers
Replied by greenfingers on topic Orange berry
Invasive? Perhaps with the right conditions, but mine all died before they could grow :(

9.5 acres with 300-odd pines and lots of wobbly fences [:D]

Time to create page: 0.126 seconds