Cheese Making Milk

More
10 years 6 months ago #36156 by DMW999
Cheese Making Milk was created by DMW999
Hi - does anyone use milk from a large dairy farm? If so - do you take it out of the vat or put the test bucket on a cow that has a high fat content? (would have to be 'sterilised') I've made cheese before but only with purchased from supermarket milk (of course it costs more than buying a block of cheese!!) Working on a dairy farm and have all my cheese making gear so thought I'd get around to making some more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 6 months ago #472473 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Cheese Making Milk
i'd get it straight from the cow

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 6 months ago #472474 by Ruth
Replied by Ruth on topic Cheese Making Milk

DMW999;475247 wrote: ...(would have to be 'sterilised') ...

Boil cow for ten minutes before milking. :D

More
10 years 6 months ago #472475 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Cheese Making Milk
Ours comes from the cow into a test bucket, but we only have a test bucket, any milking is done into the test bucket and decanted into 20L pails with lids to go back to the house.

Sterilizing is as easy as heating the milk in a big pan to 70 degrees and holding it there a short time. This can double as heating the milk for the inoculation with the cheese bacteria, just let it cool to where the bacteria like it and leave it there.

Waikato eh? to far to buy one of mums surplus nurse cows as a house cow...

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
10 years 6 months ago #472479 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Cheese Making Milk

Ruth;475250 wrote: Boil cow for ten minutes before milking. :D

:D :D had similar thoughts and was trying to figure out the logistics.... :D [8D]

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 6 months ago #472507 by jennie1945
Replied by jennie1945 on topic Cheese Making Milk
Tried that but Mildred won't fit in the pan!!!![;)]

12 acres - 2 Jersey cross calves - George and Mildred -going on 50 mixed sheep and lambs - teenagers and toddlers - and our Girls all laying well when we can find the eggs!!!!:cool:

More
10 years 6 months ago #472526 by Kiwi303
Replied by Kiwi303 on topic Cheese Making Milk
Was in Pak n Save buying a block of sheese when asked by someone I know from out the lakes, "why buy cheese? your mum makes her own" well yes, but why do people pay $6 a bag of chips in the petrol station store when they can get them from the supermarket 200M down the road for $2.40? Convenience. Too busy right now fostering on calves to nurse cows to make cheese... Cheese comes when the calves are all out and the goats and a couple of selected house milk cows are the only things being dealt with.

Time is money :D

You Live and Learn, or you don't Live Long -anon

More
10 years 6 months ago #472610 by Crusha
Replied by Crusha on topic Cheese Making Milk
Rather than go through all that bother. Check your farms setup. You should have the plate cooler after the filters. Most filters will have droppers (rubber or silicon hoses) on the bottom with clasps that allow you to drain them. Put your bucket under one of the droppers and fill your bucket.

No sterilization of cows required ;) , the milk will be filtered but not cooled and it always tastes and smells better straight from the plant than from the vat

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds