Roosters!

More
10 years 8 months ago #469664 by Del
Replied by Del on topic Roosters!

Blueberry;472163 wrote: I then keep the gutted rooster in the fridge for a couple of days, then slowcook it in saltwater, take the meat away once tender, put the skin and bones back and make a nice, healthy broth as basis for numerous other dishes.

Blueberry, is there a reason for the refrigeration period before cooking? And also, is the salt water a flavour preference or recommended for other reasons? (So far I've only cooked supermarket chickens...[:I])

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469669 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Roosters!
We usually kill and cook the same day. Pluck while the carcass is still warm and straight into the oven.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469672 by Mousewhisker
Replied by Mousewhisker on topic Roosters!
I think if I ever end up raising some for meat, mine will go into the freezer and stay there for quite a while until I have forgotten what they looked like with feathers on :o :D

More
10 years 8 months ago #469783 by carlyjean
Replied by carlyjean on topic Roosters!
RayH- yes I agree what an amazing lady! Her whole process with the 'harvest' was so respectful of the bird and I liked how she waitied for the bird to relax before doing the deed. I too raise chickens and want to kill my own meat- and this video struck with me - that's how I want to kill my birds!!

More
10 years 8 months ago #469795 by Del
Ray, I just watched it too - I like her approach and she's clearly an excellent teacher. However, I did wonder if bleeding the chicken out first meant there was a bit of suffering before death, as opposed to the one strike of the axe or broomstick methods? What do others think?

More
10 years 8 months ago #469833 by Mousewhisker
I was wondering that too Del. I also wondered with the video, why break the neck afterwards if the bird's already dead from the throat being cut? If it's to make sure it's properly dead, well, I don't like the idea of it being half alive up until then....

I've always thought cutting the throat is considered to be the least humane way, but I was reading an article the other day which reckoned that it was more peaceful for the chook because it would be like just falling to sleep.
Another study said with severing the spinal cord, i.e. the axe method (and dislocation too I suppose?) the brain can receive pain signals for up to a minute - don't know how they know that?? So, it's a bit confusing, nobody knows for sure I guess. Personally, I think the quicker the better, for me as well as the chook!:( At least with using an axe you can be 100% sure it's dead!!! I've seen a rooster 'come back from the dead' after having it's neck dislocated... not nice!

Here are two threads on dispatch methods I found helpful: www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lsb-forum/showthread.php?t=16265
and
www.lifestyleblock.co.nz/lsb-forum/showthread.php?t=22155

More
10 years 8 months ago #469873 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Roosters!

Del;472177 wrote: Blueberry, is there a reason for the refrigeration period before cooking? And also, is the salt water a flavour preference or recommended for other reasons? (So far I've only cooked supermarket chickens...[:I])

[:I] it's more a matter of dis-associating myself with the ex-animal :D - I hardly ever feel like chicken the day I've plucked and gutted one.

two days later: "ooh, look what I found in the fridge; a soup chicken!!" :D :p

you can add spices to the saltwater if you choose. In the first instance, it's just a matter of cooking the meat until tender - once the meat is removed, I add vegies, laurel, chilli, ginger and garlic tothe skin and bones in the cooking water and simmer the lot to a nice broth.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
10 years 8 months ago #469876 by Del

Blueberry;472402 wrote: [:I] it's more a matter of dis-associating myself with the ex-animal :D - I hardly ever feel like chicken the day I've plucked and gutted one.

two days later: "ooh, look what I found in the fridge; a soup chicken!!" :D :p .

LOL! :D hilarious, "ooh, I wonder how that got here? The food fairy must have visited!"

More
10 years 8 months ago #469952 by LongRidge
Replied by LongRidge on topic Roosters!
Mousewisker, when I bleed out an animal I like to think that it may be able to sense pain, but the brain cannot feel it. I base this thought on some observations.
A friend killed a pig for me by "sticking" it with a sharp knife into the heart. The pig was eating apples, didn't feel the knife at all, and continued eating happily while the blood flowed out. Then she fell over dead. Very humane, very calm, totally unstressed meat.
I was stunned after falling from a rope swing. I then got up, walked up the slope, and noticed that my right arm was broken and at rightangles. No pain at all, and I tested if the arm was broken by wriggling my fingers. But 10 minutes later the pain hit .....
I have had a few out-of-body experiences, with my mind floating on the ceiling looking downward at what was happening to my body. I could see what was happening, my body was expecting to feel pain - I hate intravenous injections - but my mind could feel nothing. I suspect that when the brain does not have enough blood (or glucose) that the body can sense the pain but the mind does not feel it.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469955 by Mousewhisker
That's really interesting LR. Amazing about the pig! It's a funny thing that brain/body connection.

More
10 years 8 months ago #471429 by Falcons Rest
Replied by Falcons Rest on topic Roosters!
I'm lucky enough to have been included in a small group that shares the "kill" day. A friend (Des) rears teagal chicks in batches of 25, I do 10 and another lady does 10 plus her roosters (from broody hens that sneak off to a hidden clutch!), so roughly every 4 months we round up the various flocks and troop off to Des' house. He's got a good set up so we usually manage to kill, pluck, trim, gut, wash, cool & fridge about 60-70 chooks in a morning (6 adults in a "chain gang").
The set up is quite simple. My other 1/2 does the killing & draining using a sharp knife (very, and re-sharpened frequently) and 3 traffic cones......
The cones have the bases & tops removed so the chook goes in head first, feet out. The head comes through the hole, he relaxes the chook (strokes & talks softly to coax it to stretch its neck) then takes the head off in one swift cut that goes through the neck - no sawing or chopping required. A very fast death and the body is already positioned to bleed into a bucket below.
They are left in the cones for 2-3 mins to finish bleeding out. Des has an old electric boiler (wired into a regular plus ! OSH would have a field day!) with the top cut off and a commercial thermometer in which the chooks are then plunged for 60-90 secs at about 60? degrees before being put into the home made plucking machine (amazing what you can do with an old tumble dryer and some rubber fingers!) to de-feather.

Pretty efficient and having a team of people to work with makes a grusome job more ...um...pleasant?

At the end of the day we get great meat that we know has been happy and not stressed by sitting on a lorry for it's last however many hours on the planet!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Wiltshires, Beefies, Boers, Captain Cookers, Muscovies, assorted Chooks, 2 cats & a confused dog........ No suprise the cats are in charge.:p

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds