Roosters!

More
10 years 8 months ago #35865 by KiplingAngel
Roosters! was created by KiplingAngel
Oh Dear!

We have a bunch of lovely big meat roosters that need knocking on the head - except Hubby and I are total newbies at this, and don't know what to do...

Is there anyone in the Hunua/Ararimu/Paparimu Valley who can help?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469149 by Edenview
Replied by Edenview on topic Roosters!
Hey I read a very useful thread on this over at poultry central forum. We used to cut off heads with axe, very stressfull and messy! But there are very clear instructions on that thread, and now I do my birds on my own, very easy and clean. You catch the bird, hold by the legs upside down, pop its head on the ground so its facing away from you. They are usually fairly calm when you do this, must be the upside down thing. Put a broom stick over their neck just behind the head, stand on each side and pull quickly upwards. This breaks the neck. Be warned the bird still flaps but it is dead by then, I keep holding it of course just to make sure. The first time I wasn't sure I had pulled hard enough and pulled the head off(yuck) it is actually not that hard and with a bit of practice you get the feel of when the neck breaks. Not that pleasant at first but it gets a bit easier. Kind of. Hope this helps if there is not a local who can do it for you. Also it is easier if you pluck the birds while warm.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469150 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Roosters!
Eeeeeeeeeek

I raised these boys from eggs

Don't think I could 'dispatch' them without a total meltdown myself

If there was someone around us who could 'show us the way' then perhaps it wouldn't be so stressful - but just the thought is a bit much

And I know I bred them to be meat birds... just didn't figure on the emotions...

More
10 years 8 months ago #469170 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Roosters!
No, you don't pull the legs quickly in the 'broomstick method' ! You pull steadily and firmly, so you can feel the moment when the head parts from the neck (within the skin) and you don't pull it off. That way you can stop as the birds begins to shudder as soon as the neck is broken.

Sorry you are not closer to Levin Kipling angel, I could do it for you! I provide a service for the locals around here that need just that!

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469173 by Deanna
Replied by Deanna on topic Roosters!

Edenview;471614 wrote: The first time I wasn't sure I had pulled hard enough and pulled the head off(yuck) it is actually not that hard and with a bit of practice you get the feel of when the neck breaks. Not that pleasant at first but it gets a bit easier. Kind of. Hope this helps if there is not a local who can do it for you. Also it is easier if you pluck the birds while warm.

Glad I'm not the only one that has happened too! :o

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469209 by Mousewhisker
Replied by Mousewhisker on topic Roosters!

Sue;471637 wrote:
Sorry you are not closer to Levin Kipling angel, I could do it for you! I provide a service for the locals around here that need just that!

Wish you lived closer to me - I'd take you up on that :D I really like the idea of raising them for meat but know I'd find it difficult to do, they're such loveable things and full of personality. And it's worse if you've known them from an egg!

More
10 years 8 months ago #469227 by KiplingAngel
Replied by KiplingAngel on topic Roosters!
Phooey Balooey... no takers?

Does anyone know of a site where Hubby and I can see demonstrations of what to do?

More
10 years 8 months ago #469232 by RayH
Replied by RayH on topic Roosters!
This the best way to kill your chickens.... this lady is Amazing ! I have so much respect for her ! watch it and it makes it all so easy and respectful
let me know what you think

Ray

More
10 years 8 months ago #469233 by Deanna

KiplingAngel;471702 wrote: Phooey Balooey... no takers?

Does anyone know of a site where Hubby and I can see demonstrations of what to do?

Today I had to do the deed. He attacked a 2 year old yesterday, and as a Rescue, well I guess I gave him a nice few weeks.

I took him from the coop this evening after dark, by his legs. Laid him gently on his tummy facing away from me, still holding his legs with my left hand. Laid the 'Death' stick gently across his neck, still holding his legs, put my feet either side of his head on the 'death stick, and firmly pulled with both hands now holding his legs, until I felt the jolt of the neck joint parting, then I dropped his legs and stood talking to my son till the body had stopped its movement. You can do it. :o

25 acres, 1400 Blue Gums, Wiltshire sheep, 5 steers, 2 cows, ducks, chickens, bees, dog, cats, retired, 1 husband and 3 grandkids.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469234 by Mousewhisker
Replied by Mousewhisker on topic Roosters!
So, Deanna, after the broomstick thing, do you then cut the throat and let the blood drain out?

More
10 years 8 months ago #469236 by Del
Replied by Del on topic Roosters!
www.poultrycentral.co.nz/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3381&p=28644

Have a look at this for an instruction on how to do the deed with useful pictures

More
10 years 8 months ago #469237 by Sue
Replied by Sue on topic Roosters!
No you don't need to cut the throat. Just hang the bird up to pluck. The blood will drain into the gap between the end of the neck and the head, and be contained by the skin. When you go to dress the bird, after it is plucked, the blood will have clotted and will all come away with the head when you detach it with the neck skin.

Sue
Labrador lover for yonks, breeder of pedigree Murray Grey cattle for almost as long, and passionate poultry person for more years than I care to count.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469240 by Deanna

Mousewhisker;471710 wrote: So, Deanna, after the broomstick thing, do you then cut the throat and let the blood drain out?

I have to say, to this point the only birds killed have been plucked and fed to the dog. But Sue has given some good info for the future when we will be killing for our own consumption.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469436 by igor
Replied by igor on topic Roosters!
I prefer to use the axe method. I've tried wringing their necks but the axe is easier.

More
10 years 8 months ago #469650 by Blueberry
Replied by Blueberry on topic Roosters!
yum - chewing away on a rooster sandwich while reading this :D :p

we use the axe, as well, and pluck right afterwards - we make it a 2-person job, sharing in the guilt and the work :D :D :o

I then keep the gutted rooster in the fridge for a couple of days, then slowcook it in saltwater, take the meat away once tender, put the skin and bones back and make a nice, healthy broth as basis for numerous other dishes.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds