What are the best ingrediants on a vegeterian pizza?

More
11 years 7 months ago #32985 by muri
How pizza eating has evolved over time, finding we dont like the traditional foods that often come out of a can such as pineapple etc. By keeping them vegetarian, you seem to get better flavours as otherwise the meat can dominate.
Am always looking for new and seasonal variations but a typical pizza as i had tonight included over the base and the sauce
- mushrooms, spring onions, finely chopped silver beat [raw], asparagus, left over cooked pumpkin, some sliced avocado, and then some jalapenos, olives and a must have is the pickled ginger used in making sushi.
The latter seems to bring out all the flavours
Then of course there is cheese on top.
So anything else to add to this as I am always experimenting with new?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439007 by foufee
sundried tomatoes, feta (depending what kind of vegetarian you are)

More
11 years 7 months ago #439023 by Seaside
Best veg pizza for me is margharita - just tomato and mozzerella and perhaps a scattering of basil leaves on top at the end. For meat pizza, just with pepperoni. I do tend to add mushrooms, onions, jalapanos just because I can, but I am happy with the simple one.

I would rather eat toenails than a pizza with pineapple on (though I do live with people who like pineapple on pizza). I like pineapple, just not on pizza or in any savoury dish.

Kids, beasts, and chillies in Swannanoa South.
www.farmaway.co.nz

More
11 years 7 months ago #439032 by kai
capers
egg cracked raw into the centre before cooking

More
11 years 7 months ago #439037 by kaumea
anchovis

I don't have all I love anymore, but I still love all I have...

More
11 years 7 months ago #439074 by Nora
I make one with hummus on base, olives, feta, cherry toms, mushrooms and mozzarella. Well it's supposed to have mozzarella but I prefer cheddar. So I think the hummus is the only unmentioned ingredient in the thread so far.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439080 by wiredkiwi
Mediterranean - a base of pesto + tomato paste, then tomatoes (sundried and/or fresh), spinach leaves, feta, pine nuts, mushrooms and olives.

Can use capsicum, red onion, aubergine as well

Top with a sauce or other topping such as sweet onion sauce, roast vege chutney, aioli, or tomato, garlic and basil sauce.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Horses must be magnetic. Have one and others come along to join it.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439107 by jimminette

Nora;438397 wrote: I make one with hummus on base, olives, feta, cherry toms, mushrooms and mozzarella. Well it's supposed to have mozzarella but I prefer cheddar. So I think the hummus is the only unmentioned ingredient in the thread so far.

Oh Yum!!!!!!

More
11 years 7 months ago #439117 by muri
Nora, that sounds really interesting, the hummus. Do you use that instead of the tomato paste base as to be honest I really arent keen on tomato or cooked tomatoes.
A pesto base sounds scrumptious as well, but very seasonal as I cant eat the stuff sold in supermarkets

More
11 years 7 months ago #439118 by Nora
Yes just spread it on thinly or thickly depending on your tastes. We make the pizza with a wholemeal Lebanese bread which tastes nice and nutty and is always lovely and crunchy despite the toppings, then a thick layer of hummus, then everything else and cheddar over the top. It came from a recipe sheet I picked up years ago at a supermarket in Wellington. It was called "pizza pizzazz". I would tell you who published it but I'm away from home working in western Australia, and recipe is somewhere in a box at my house in Adelaide (dh has just moved house on his own! Poor sod). I almost never make tomato bases now as I find the flavour drowns out everything else. The other ingredient I recall is thinly sliced red onion. Oh and I forgot thinly sliced capsicum.

More
11 years 7 months ago #439128 by katieb
I have a sweet tooth & love the bit on the side cracker cranberry sauce on mine

we often have kumara, I just pop some small pieces in the oven before getting everything else ready

I always have heaps of silverbeet growing so some goes on pizzas.... we have tried chopped up 'squire' kale recently which holds its shape a bit & goes a little crunchy if put on just before cheese

have you tried corn? we had an American wwoofer who said the best pizza she had ever had had corn on it

Animals rule our place... cows, calves, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, donkeys, chickens, ducks... the list goes on
...."lifestyle block like" 25 or so acres around the house attached to a rather large farm with dairy drystock & a 600 cow dairy conversion :)....1500 acres to call home

More
11 years 7 months ago #439132 by Hawkspur

Nora;438444 wrote: Yes just spread it on thinly or thickly depending on your tastes. We make the pizza with a wholemeal Lebanese bread which tastes nice and nutty and is always lovely and crunchy despite the toppings, then a thick layer of hummus, then everything else and cheddar over the top. It came from a recipe sheet I picked up years ago at a supermarket in Wellington. It was called "pizza pizzazz". I would tell you who published it but I'm away from home working in western Australia, and recipe is somewhere in a box at my house in Adelaide (dh has just moved house on his own! Poor sod). I almost never make tomato bases now as I find the flavour drowns out everything else. The other ingredient I recall is thinly sliced red onion. Oh and I forgot thinly sliced capsicum.

Chilli jam
capsicum
feta
cherry tomato

More
11 years 7 months ago #439266 by Blueberry

muri;438443 wrote:
A pesto base sounds scrumptious as well, but very seasonal as I cant eat the stuff sold in supermarkets

Pesto keeps well when topped with a generous dollop of olive oil, then screw lid on and keep in darkest corner of pantry.

I generally make enough to keep me going all winter.

[;)] Blueberry
treading lightly on mother earth

More
11 years 7 months ago #439304 by sundaysbest
Asparagus, red onion, flat mushrooms, garlic, basil, mmmMMMmmm don't know if they all work together, but I love vege pizzas with anything on them really!

More
11 years 7 months ago #439305 by sundaysbest
Pumpkin, red onion, spinach and feta is yummy...

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds